1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Temple Guard...

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by ChandlerGriz, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ChandlerGriz
    Chameleon Skink

ChandlerGriz Member

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Painting albino reptiles is a little trickier than just painting them white.
    but with a thined sepia wash, and maybe a thin wash of ogrim it would probaly look good,
    also give the gold a wash in either sepia or delvin mud.

2098655.jpg

3. nuklearangel
    Skink

nuklearangel Member

I agree with what n810 said, water down either of those two washes for the skin and it will look great.

4. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

There's a few ways you can go for white models. I agree with the above saying throw a watered down wash around 50:50 water:wash. You can go for a blue-ish white, like the Oldblood that GW have on their website using a watered down blue wash...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod820845

Or else go with a Sepia wash for a yellowish white, or Devlan for a more greyish/brown white.

Another one which I think gives a nice "pure white" look (as in a white that looks white rather than super-pale yellow/blue/grey/brown) I find the best bet is to go with something like a shadow grey or space wolves grey shade, as this gives a blue-ish grey shade and (I feel at least) it gives a natural looking white shade without looking dirty or off coloured. You could try mixing up a wash of shadow grey (I've heard the new Lahmian Medium works well for mixing up your own washes).

So it depends what sort of white you want to go for, usually a "white-white" with no shade doesn't come out brilliantly.

One trick with white is to focus on the shading rather than the highlight, so you want shadows in the deep crevices but then just have white as the main colour with no highlights. Painting black is the opposite, don't worry about the shade, just do it all black, but then pick out a few highlights to add depth.

5. Alex
    Skink

Alex New Member

I recently painted up an albino Saurus hero using turquoise to shade the white:

http://1inchwarriors.blogspot.com/2012/04/albino-saurus-hero-finished.html

If you're looking for a "cool" white, you could try making a wash from turquoise, perhaps with a tiny, tiny bit of black added to desaturate the color so it's not so intense. Plus, with the red shield and gold trimmings, I think the turquoise helps balance out the color scheme.

6. ChandlerGriz
    Chameleon Skink

ChandlerGriz Member

Im not sure that Im going for an albino-ish look, but just a white Temple Guard. I didnt wash him with anything because I want to avoid a "dirty" look. Id like the model to give off a "pristine" appearance, and I wanted his armor and halberd to be shiny. I do like the idea of a greyish wash, then when it dries go over it with a white drybrush. I assume GW now has a grey wash?