1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Who or what is an Itxi Grub anyway?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by SlanntaClause, Jun 15, 2016.

1. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Sorry for the possibly misleading title I know what they are just not what they look like :p

So I google Itxi grub to get a rough idea of what they look like and I can't really see anything - Itchy grubs seem to be fluffy caterpillars - would this be a good likening to the magical treat?

Are there any descriptions of them anywhere? Or does anyone know of any images of them?

worlds biggest insects.jpg

@n810 posted this before which also is a perfect fit I think

Crowsfoot, Y'ttar Scaletail and n810 like this.
  2. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what I imagined. Don't eat it all at once though - I've eaten something similar and got no magical powers. Rip-off.

3. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

The 7th Ed Army Book had Ixti Grubs as a rare single-use points-costing magic item. I forget the effect, but I think it was Slann only (maybe skink priests could use it too)

In a society without earthly vices, and a lack of official fluff about what LM like to eat, the Ixti grubs were a convenient explanation for why Slann are a) fat, and b) spaced out.

In general L-O chat and fluff writings, ixti grubs have been regarded as a treat or reward (equivalent to a well earned beer), a nutritious non-perishable food source, a recreational drug, a mind enhancing drug, or a major magical power up.

Any thing I have seen has reinforced that they are rare, desirable, valuable, and possibly religiously significant. They are probably exclusively for Slann only, but if my characters ever found them unattended, look out. There is good evidence that Slanputin and Otzi'mandias both have a secure private supply.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The mechanical effect of Itzi Grubs was a one time spell casting boost. Thus it's more of a drug than a food. It definitely would be priest only. There was no restriction from giving it to Skink Priests but I think the few players who used Itzi Grubs in their lists kept them for Slann.

In chat, offering an Itzi Grub is a congratulatory or welcoming gesture like the "have a beer" smileys you see on some other forums. Fluff wise I'd imagine Itzi grubs would be too rare for casual consumption, but not so rare they are treated as an emergency only tool.

5. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

I'm not saying there is a private supply but I'm not saying that there's a secure vault with an abundance of Itxi Grubs and a low product release to drive artificially high prices either.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The are best when dried out then sprinkled on your food as a magical garnish, you only want around 1/2 tsp more than that and you will lose all control of your mind and body function.

Think of them as a potent magic mushroom.

tom ndege, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  7. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I recall reading somewhere that some slann's last words were "pass me another ixti grub" but I can't find my 7th Ed Army Book to see if it was in there.

tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  8. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

You're right there is a quote like that or exactly that :D overdose do you think?

tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Not overdose more of a self induced coma where the Slann soul and spirit is unified with the Old ones, a bit like the mummified monk they found in Mongolia.

tom ndege, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  10. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I found it (the 7th Ed book and the quote)

This is, of course, pure GW whimsy, but that doesn't make it automatically bad. There are far worse gags such as a spoken language table with "Xocibiki" meaning "Sustenance".

The Arcane Item rule is as follows:

Ixti Grubs....25 points
    The wizard carries a gourd containing dried grubs which have absorbed magical power from the ground. When he eats them, he gains the energy the grubs have absorbed.
    One use only. The Wizard may add 3 to the casting roll of a single spell. Use of the Ixti Grubs may be declared after the casting roll is made.

I don't think they were a common choice for an army build. Slann magic allowance = 100 pts, Skink Priest = 50 pts. Dispel Scroll 25 pts, and Cube of darkness 40 pts were autoincludes, and decked out slann were pushing the massive point sink level and were extremely good casters without extra help.

Bowser likes this.
  11. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

One use only kinda suggests they eat a whole gourd full of grubs all at once :p

Bowser likes this.
  12. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Xocibiki. Something about biscuits?

I only used Itxi Grubs a few times in battle. When delegating points I always favoured disciplines and long-term buffs. Though very useful for a crucial spell, I don't like my plans to be reliant on a magical item. Perhaps I'm being too conservative with my tactics, but I've always tried to use items as an enhancement to my plans rather than a foundation.

13. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Devoting 50 points to get a free power dice every spell , or to discard all rolls of six by an enemy caster or for lore mastery looked like much better value back in the day.

I read it as "chocky bikkie". Sigh.

14. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

They have a character called Itzi-Bitzi and pretty much most named Lizardmen are jokes of some kind - Tictakto is one I think for swups rider? I'm not sure its almost like the race is a joke to GW

spawning of Bob likes this.
  15. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Orcs and Goblins (Cockney/East End football hooligans), Skaven (cackling Bond villains in their volcano lair that are incapable of ever succeeding at anything. There was quite a lot of upset with the final fluff of the Nemesis Crown where the lull in the winds of magic managed to convince the Grey Seers that the whole Skaven race had no place in the world...causing the Skaven to end the campaign fleeing, despite being one of the top dogs in that region.)

At least the lizzies (despite the puns) aren't completely a comical race or one that is destined to explode/fail all the time. :p

But back on topic: The UE-ers have such things as Skavenade, coupons for Eshin not to target them for the day, or ominously glowing cookies as far as welcoming/congratulating things go.

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  16. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

By points costs, the one time casting boost is expense, but notice what I highlighted.

One use only. The Wizard may add 3 to the casting roll of a single spell. Use of the Ixti Grubs may be declared after the casting roll is made.

Many arcane items boost your chance of success, but this can GUARANTEE success if you fail by three points or less. If the item was available in 8th edition I would consider equipping it often. I tend to cast conservatively. I fail a casting roll more often than I miscast. Failing to cast a Slann's first spell in a phase is almost as bad as miscasting.

Fluffwise, it can be whatever the writer wants it to be. I prefer it be a magical aid rather than a tasty delicacy. It might add character if Itzi Grubs taste lousy. but writers can write what they want.

spawning of Bob likes this.
  17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

And Itzi-Bitzi has a friend, Tuini-Huini. I really can't criticise if you look at my history with pun names.

SlanntaClause and Bowser like this.
  18. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

Even kroak is a pun on the frogs/toads and when you die theres a saying about croaking it or something :p