1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHTW2 tactics discussion

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Killer Angel, Oct 18, 2019.

1. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

One of our guys in Total War Discord beat that campaign in 24 turns. Max out Blue Temples. Get Green and Red only for buffs (10). He had a luck with AI being killed by.. something else once :)

Captaniser likes this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

That seems to be relativly common. I think in mine I had two just randomly die.

bOdziO Wolf likes this.
  3. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Nakai's end battle is brutal, unlike the Vortex battle where you can decimate the enemy armies before they even get to your troops with the vortex powers, lol! I did enjoy using a ton of kroxigors with him, though. And yes, the summons you gain from the blessings are super helpful.

Killer Angel likes this.
  4. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

I think its because the faster you rush the Nakai run the more brutal the battle is. Keep in mind you are actually facing a smaller army overall and you have some powerful allies. Typical vortex armies are Lv40 lord and heroes with a ton of artifacts usually accompanied by blessed gold 3 units fighting versus 20-30 lv AI lords with some mediocre units.
    I had a fairly ok composition, but Nakai was only lv 15 and got routed by a steam tank :D. In the and a Starpriest killed more people in melee than him ;). Also Starpriests are weirdly good against infrantry, no idea why oO

I'm going to try MP pretty soon. Do you have any general purpose army compositions I could use and learn on?

Captaniser likes this.
  5. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

That happend to me as well, i only managed to kill the dwarf and by turn 25 i could do the final. A little annoying but i usually get tired of a campaign 40-50 turns in so i guess it was good it was cut short.

bOdziO Wolf likes this.
  6. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

Haha, looks like the 50 turn count is a magic number not only for me :)

7. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

There is no real definitative army lists out there, so you have to tailor your army to what your opponent's faction can bring.

Elves, all kinds, and beastmen tend to bring skirmish cav, dragons, low armor infantry and many units of archers, so chameleon skinks and skink skirmishers are great there. The name of the game for beating them is backline disruption.
    Temple guard work wonders against beastmen, you only have to beware beastigors, devolve and cygors. Also dread saurians are really good against them too, they shread minotaurs and all their infantry, just beware you don't get caught up in chaos spawn since they never break.

Dwarfs and empire you need to rush most of the time. Empire you wish to go wide with and try to overload as many flanks as possible with saurus mixed with skinks, try to use outflankers such as rippers and the saurus knight ROR. Dwarfs you need these 6 units: ancient stegadon/eotg, saurus warriors, red creasted skinks, skink priest beasts, rippers and kroxigors. Skinks and saurus trade well with all the infantry, stegadons, rippers and kroxigors are used to win the frontline and disrupt the backline and the priest summons manticores.

Tombkings rely almost exclusively on their ushabti and sphinxes to win, so the knight ROR is great here for running the ushabti down. Carnosaurs are almost a must for dealing with sphinxes and the like. Skink priest of heavens for windblast and curse of the midnight for killing of their infatry quickly, and the curse is great if the TK invested in an elite frontline.

VC only work when they have monsters, so beware Dragons, terrorgeists and varghulfs. Invest almost always in a oldblood on carno and take plenty of saurus spears and maybe a second carno. Take a skink priest of heavens with harmonic convergence and curse to improve your monstermashes. Another battle where Dread saurians work wonders since it's pepetual poisen attacks will often keep them from running away, and if you can sandwitch one of their monsters between the dread and the oldblood, it will die in seconds.

Skaven, this one is tricky since it really isn't favorable at all, unless you are on a map with some foliage and cover. They will almost always bring a gunline of 2-4 jezzails and what not and have a cheap frontline bolstered by rat ogres. Saurus will trade in the frontline quite well, have some skink flankers and try to use saurus knights and rippers to get into the weapon teams. Skink priest with a manticore summons also do wonders here. Kroq-gar is a very good pick here since he can charge in and relocate very quickly with his swiftness of Itzl, he can rapidly go from disrupting the backline to help winning the frontline battle.

This is all for now, might write a few more later. :)

8. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

That's some good-sounding advice, I'll have to remember it when I try out MP myself.

Captaniser likes this.
  9. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

Thats a great amount of help here! Thanks! I will come up with any questions when they arise and when I get down to this game again. I love usage of Manticore, which is something I totally forgot exists in the game due to how Starpriest of Heavens outshines Starpriest of Beasts in the campaigns :)

Captaniser likes this.
  10. Ge32
    Troglodon

Ge32 Well-Known Member

3B0FF90C-8552-4B87-BA13-E3303CBF0431.jpeg http://whfb.reactor.cc/post/3792754

11. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Nice list of all the unit cards! :D

12. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Kilvakar and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  13. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Same tactic works for Lizards as well. I love to run a carnosaur or mounted hero and hit all the bloaters while they're still in the enemy's ranks. Hilarity ensues :D

Nazqua and bOdziO Wolf like this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah I used to fear those exploding dudes until I realized that I can use a quick hero to just kite them to have them explode within the enemy ranks and then run away. :D

Nazqua and bOdziO Wolf like this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

pouring in a load of ranged firepower works as well. Bonus points if you can use artillery for twice the explosions.

Nazqua likes this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah, that too. Man I loved my Wood Elves and High Elves campaigns. Rains of arrows everywhere...

Nazqua and Canas like this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I do wish the AI didn't get the boomers though, they're just annoying. Either the AI screws up and blows up his own troops, or one sneaks past and suddenly half your army is gone. Though this does seem to be something that they're struggling with a bit in TW warhammer in general. There's several mechanics that are quite fun to use as a player, as they can be used to even the playing field when the AI comes running at you with 4 doomstacks at a time. But in the hands of the AI the mechanics either end up irrelevant, or oppresingly powerfull. I do hope they'l figure that out as they move on to other fantasy titles eventually.

Nazqua and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  18. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

Feels like 40k :D

Nazqua likes this.
  19. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff guys, When I play Lizardmen I like to go for a more survival like approach by using mods that double all of the chaos, Skaven, beastment and petty much all the evil factions unit sizes ontop of this I also play on legendary with -75% replenishment. I know it sounds like torture but when you get into it and have to fend off swarms of 10k + Skaven and play like the real lizardmen empire its very fun

20. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

I have the ultimate tactic for dealing with bloaters when playing lizardmen I send in the cohort of sotek (The ROR) and use its ability to make it invulnerable right before the bloater hits.

Kilvakar and ChapterAquila92 like this.