1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHTW2 tactics discussion

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Killer Angel, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh I disagree, it's a pain to manage two armies early on (and 3 a little bit later, and 4 a little bit later again.. in general the whole empire management isn't that good in TW Warhammer I & II). The lizardmen are admitadally one of the "easier" ones to manage with. Though it's not just the economic/empire management aspect that's screwing things up here. There's also the fact that the AI immeadiatly starts running around with full stacks, so there's no point in bringing a 10 man stack, especially if the AI then also just sits in a city with a decent garisson. And the weird unit progression means that you're screwed if you happen to face an opponent who has the right late-game unit cuz he rushed that particular building. Plenty of battles that got ruined cuz an army with 1 random late-game unit, say templeguard, chosen or some other nonsense, shows up and that one unit the proceeds to kill half your army on its own.

Never understood why they made the whole major/minor settlement distinction. It is such a game-y system as it's such an arbitrary limitation. Fortunatly they also increased the amounts of slots in major settlements at some point. When they just released the game certain factions where a pain to actually build provinces with.

ChapterAquila92 and Captaniser like this.
  2. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

I think they made it sorely to make the game harder by not being able to easily defend minor settlements as well as not being able to build every building in the game in one place. On the other hand the growth and economy is so unbearably slow that you can end the game before you build a third major settlement to LV5...

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Which imho feels very bad. As it's an artifical difficulty. It's annoying as hell when your frontier city happens to be a minor settlement.

Also something I really dislike. Especially early on when you only have 1 province and still need to somehow fit everything in one place. Whereas late-game it's irrelevant anyway as you only really need the 1 military province for recruitment, especially with global recruitment, while you put economical stuff in everything else with the occasional special building. And even in Rome II where you don't have global recruitment it's largely irrelevant as now you just get 1 military province in every say 5 or 6 provinces to make sure reinforcements don't need to walk across half the map.

4. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

It would definitely be nice to not have the limits on buildings. And I agree, the major/minor settlement divide is just there to add more difficulty. Maybe if they did a large vs. small settlement divide instead? Where there was no limit on the level of the settlement, only on the number of building slots?

ChapterAquila92 and Nazqua like this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh what they should do is either go back to Rome I and allow you to just build everything everywhere (with the exception of certain regional things, like mines, ports or wonders). With the drawback being that building actually takes time and you can only build 1 building at a time. It worked far nicer, and did mean that no matter how small your empire you could eventually build something usefull.

Plus, it allowed to players to actually show they're good. Right now if you're stuck with some powerfull neighbours and you don't have acces to enough building slots to build what you need to recruit a decent army you're basicly screwed. In Rome I you still had the option of holding out till finally you finished your barracks and could actually field a decent army.

Nazqua likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also, it had the benefit that the AI actually understood it (or at least didn't screw up as much), so it didn't need to cheat as badly.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

8. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

It's happening!

[​IMG]

The trailer for the next dlc will soon drop.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  9. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Calling it now that the LL the skaven will get is Snitch deathmaster.

10. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

could also be that dark elf guy that has a demon bounded inside him

11. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

I found a leak for the next dlc.

The shadow and the blade.
    [​IMG]
    So Snitch vs Malus it is then.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, kinda dissapointing it's indeed skaven, they already got a ton of toys.

Captaniser likes this.
  13. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

The dlc had to include either the Skaven, Dark elves or High elves since it was confirmed that this time there weren't going to be any cross game dlc. I wonder what the Skaven will have in this dlc, since it won't be a clan Moulder dlc as i thought, they aren't really missing much and clan Eshin already have all their units in the game.
    So that leaves the High elves standing with only 1 dlc, so i guess the last dlc for the game will be Orcs vs high elves.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Should have been a Khemric Titan!

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Doesn't make it any less dissapointing :p

16. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd gladly take another lizard dlc instead of more stuff for the lizard-food faction :D

Still, kinda cool with the assassin vs. assassin theme, guess we'll see who the best assassin is.

17. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

I think most people assumed it would be Deathmaster Snikch and Malus Darkblade. I just hope that the already powerful Skaven and Dark Elves don't get even more OP. Our new units in recent DLCs either haven't been considered competitive (dread saurian, sacred kroxigors) or have been nerfed hard (ancient salamander) right after release.

bOdziO Wolf likes this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh don't care much about multiplayer, but in singleplayer it's already something that's noticeable. Especially with the AI's tendency to kite perfectly. There's always way more losses than necesary due to that.

19. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Yeah, AI kiting gets really annoying. It's just not fair for a computer that can tell where your shot is going before you even fire it to start dodging before any real person could see it coming.

That said, the AI also has a hard time responding to flanking or aerial attacks on the back line, so that's always a fun tactic to use :)

20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, what frustrates me most is when the AI blocks half your army with 1 unit, that refuses to break due to it's cheats giving it more morale, while another 4-5 units are shooting into your army that's somehow stuck on that 1 unit, and refuse to move around/past it. And this then continues until the AI finally runs out of units. It feels like that gets worse with every new TW game.

The ai dodging has always been less of an issue for me. Though it probably helps that when I do use artillery I prefer to go for saturation fire. You're not gonna dodge if everything's being bombarded :p

The only thing it regularly dodges are certain spells that drop from the sky. Which of course I can never dodge...