1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why wont you stupid piece of iron stick together?!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Suppe, May 11, 2009.

1. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Ok I'm very frustrated, my lizardman (whos made of iron) have this shield, after I painted both i glued it on with the GW superglue (for iron etc.) i placed him so they were tightly held (the shield and body) after an hour I went back and hardly touch him before it well off.. been trying a while now, sometimes came back and added more glue but still isn't like when you glue plastic... any suggestions?

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

It's actually pewter not Iron, but anyways its a pretty common problem and the solution is never more glue. What you should do when you first get metal models is soak them in Hot water, this will take off the dust that is on models from the casting process. Then after that is done, you will want to file or scrape the areas that need to go together, this will make grooves that the crazy glue can stick to, this usually works. So for you you can try to remove all the glue you put on it already and file the spot down and glue it. OR you can get some modeling putty, greenstuff is games workshops brand and put a tiny bit behind the shield and squeeze it there and leave it for 24 hours.

Have a good day, Good Luck

3. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I'll try the first one... how hot water?

4. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

your best bet is to pin it, take a small dill and mae a hole in eace pice and stick in a bit of a paper clipn then add super glue and voila, it should hold well enough

5. SimonTheSorcerer
    Skink

SimonTheSorcerer New Member

Tap hot mate :), don't boil your fingers for gods sake! ;)

6. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Also, you mentioned that you attached the model and the shield after you painted them. I would suggest that you never apply super glue to painted parts but rather to clean metal parts. Also, when it comes to super glue the less the better. It is much better to apply a thin layer of glue than a thick one.

7. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

... figured that out when they fell apart the first time... all the glue and the base coating was like sludge in fancy colours which i just could wipe off

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

With all pewter models yes you should soak them in warm soapy water after getting rid of swarf and mold lines but before gluing. As well as dust there is residue lubricant that hels get the model out of the mold, lubricant obviously doesn't like paint or glue sticking to it. After the soaking (make sure you also rince off all the soap otherwise it will retard the paint/glue) try to handle the pieces as little as possible and only by the edges so you don't get grease from your fingers on them.

Shields are one of the worst parts, even for plastic. They have a tiny bond area and break really easily, some shield have rather clever designs at the back to keep them on, if not you need to make your own. Either use greenstuff or pin it on as suggested above.

Just be thankful you haven't had the paint literally falling off the model like I have with a few pewter ones before I started washing them.

9. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

haha had one where every time I painted him the paint will draw together like water on tablecloth with a plastic layer (dunno what they are called)

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah that happens when the surface is too hydrophobic (ie. hates water) and is usually caused by oil on the model, either from your fingers or from the mold. It is a right pain in the arse. It could also be because you watered the paint down too much, a really really thin paint won't give even coverage. Do you use spray to undercoat? Paint usually goes on top of that a bit better.

I have heard of some people soaking the metal models in vinegar for a while to make the surface more hydrophillic and get the paint to stick better. Haven't tried it myself since I hate the smell of vinegar, but it couldn't do any harm if you rinsed it off after and let it dry before painting. I also know that UV light can make some surfaces hold water better, again I haven't tried it with pewter but try leaving the model out in the sun for 20-30 minutes before undercoating and you might find it sticks a lot better.

11. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

If you want your metal to be REALLY clean, try soaking it in nail polish remover and brushing it with an old toothbrush. That's how I strip metal models (NOT PLASTIC!), and they come out cleaner than ever.
    The most important thing to remember, as many people have said, is that super glue is best when used sparingly. Too much glue will not only not stick, but it will dry and form an ugly white crust on your model. I imagine your poor "iron" model is covered head to toe.

12. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Similarly to asrodig, I use thinner (the normal kind you buy in a hardware store). I use it both for stripping metal models as well as for 'washing' the model before painting. After that, I use soapy warm water and then the model is ready to be painted.

Note, this only applies to metal models. Once I mistakenly threw a metal model with a converted plastic arm in the thinner. Needless to say, I had to make a new arm :/

13. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

posting a picture of my figures in my topic, my first painted lizardman :D I'll take a shot of the glued part

14. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Can't see the pic mate :)

15. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Posting it later