1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIP army by Spacelizard

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by spacelizard, Jan 23, 2010.

1. spacelizard
    Saurus

spacelizard Member

Thought I'd show people my lizards up to this point. I bought my first lizards (five kroxigors and a slann) about a year ago now, although my first game with lizards was this month. I started as a skaven player and then decided I wanted a second army that would be a change of pace, both in terms of gameplay and painting. Lizards fit the bill in both those categories wonderfully, and has the added bonus of having really cool models. 7th just added more cool models and shook up the proverbial spawning pool so it didn't get stale as far as I'm concerned.

So these are some quick pics of what I've got so far, and I'll add that the full army pic is slightly out of date since it was taken before the TG had their arms attached. Unpainted, I still have most of two 6th edition battalion boxes, a carnosaur, a kroxigor, and four incoming terradons (i.e. in the mail as of this post). Enjoy, and C&C are welcome. I intend on updating this as I get more done.

skinks.jpg
    kroxigor.jpg
    Stegadon.jpg
    Stegadon_detail.jpg
    Slann-1.jpg
    TempleGuard_CMright.jpg
    Army_toDate01092010.jpg

2. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

What a great start to an army! I like the colors and the entire army's look. Let's see some more progress and keep those models coming.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looking good man, keep it up, :D

4. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

I really love your style. Excellent work.

5. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Hey decent work there.... But I suggest you to turn down that drybrush a bit. Abusing it makes your minis look harsh at the end. Most of the times is better to just paint plain... it takes more time and effort but at the end minis will look much better and you will improve at painting. Drybrushing should only be used for very specific things in my opinion.

6. spacelizard
    Saurus

spacelizard Member

Not sure what specifically you mean by "harsh," but I'll agree that the dry brushing is particularly overdone on the temple guard (painting for a later date, that). Except for the darker scales on the kroxigors (which I think turned out well in terms of said drybrushing), the only other dry-brushing is the off white areas of the slann and steg, which I wouldn't have even bothered with except that it's the only way I've found to get an (ever so slightly) off-white that's not too yellow. Then again, I haven't looked THAT hard for the appropriate paint color(s) to make such work easier.

As far as the skinks go, that's not dry brushing (or else my definition is more narrow than yours), and I left their skin that way because I liked the look (though they are still WIP). Not exactly natural looking, but something about it that I liked.

By the way, the terradons came in, so I now have herbal cleansers, pumice, and even a tiktaq for stopping bad breath :D . Sorry for the puns, but it's nice to know I can now leave rats squeaky clean on the fly.