1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIP Coatl

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Jorgta, May 24, 2010.

1. Jorgta
    Skink

Jorgta New Member

Here's a few pictures of my WIP Coatl so far. After a lot of dithering I went for McFarlane's Basilisk as a base, it's probably a bit big but I thought the pose was perfect.

P1010044.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010040-1.jpg

All comments and suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

I like the model, nice job :D

3. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Very cool looking, but if it was me I think I would make the wings larger

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah the wings do look a bit small at the moment, pretty cool overall though and I agree that the pose is great.

5. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

I love those spawn dragon toys, they are such a perfect scale for hammer. I like the idea of converting one into a Coatl and you have a great start going. I would mirror everyone's comments on the wing size, but I am also a little put off by the one giant tooth. Did you pick some reference from a real work animal photo for this?

Great work on the green stuff feathers btw, I know how much work goes into them, and your sculpt of them looks amazing.

6. Jorgta
    Skink

Jorgta New Member

Thanks for the comments. I was afraid that the wings would look a bit small. I have extended them somewhat but I'm not sure how to enlarge them further, any suggestions?

He had two large teeth, they were supposed to be fangs like a snakes. I guess I have to do them over anyway since one tooth is missing.

Yeah the feathers are a lot of work but I used a nice tutorial I found on Dakka-dakka. Now I just have to do the underside of it, hope my sanity holds :)

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Not sure how much butchering you want to do, but you might be able to try shortening the body a bit instead of lengtheneing the wings to make it look more in proportion? The vertical part of the body where it is widest I think could be shortened without too much trouble, especially given the sculpting talent you have shown with the feathers. Or you could try a different set of wings, the tzeench greater daemon I believe has a nice big pair of feathered wings. Depends on how much work you want to do and how much of what you have done you are willing to scrap.