1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIP: Scar-Veteran (NMM howto?) Model is finished!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Haemoglobin, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

So these are some pics of my wip scar-vet for a painting competition (local). I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some tips on the NME painting? Any other comments and feedback are :pigeon: also appreciated ^^. Thanks!
    http://img231.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc03403j.jpg

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Re: WIP: Scar-Veteran (NME howto?)

Looks pretty good overall, nice work! I think the claws and spines are a few shades too dark, but I'm not sure if a more bone colour would work really well with your scheme since it has lots of whiteish upper highlights.

3. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

I think I'm with Strew in that the claws and spines should be a shade or possibly two lighter. But it looks great so far! Good luck and I hope you win :D

4. Nericon
    Saurus

Nericon New Member

Very Nice!
    I especially like how you've done the shield. but the overal character is cool.^^
    I hope to see more of you.
    Greetings,
    Nericon

5. Tetz
    Skink

Tetz New Member

Great looking model, can't wait to see him all completed. Are you asking about non metallic metals? That's a nasty one that I haven't even tried to dive in to yet. Mainly because of the amount of work involved I figure I might try it on my show pieces.

Anyways, here's a great article about it, basically you just want to build up to those highlights. Overall it isn't extremely hard it just takes work.

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=175

6. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

I think he looks pretty dang decent so far! Much better than I could ever do! Keep us the good work :) Only thing I can say is that I'm not too big a fan of the base; I dont really like the gravel/dirt on it is what i'm saying. I think that the color of it will fail to bring out the colors in the actual model and for a competition is just seems a little plain/dry. But seriously, you could just tell me to go fly a kite because you still did a thousand times better than I ever could :D

Tetz, that article is E P I C :jawdrop: I could never do that... But I HAVE to say that painting the metal on that way definitely looks loads better than just using metallic paints :jawdrop:

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Hi

I like how it looks so far, and i was gonna suggest the above posted article for help with NMM painting. I personally think that the highlights on the yellow on the shield could be a tad less sharp (less white). I am also a firm believer that Lizardmen should not use iron-type metals, but rather golds or bronzes. I do realize that a gold NMM next to a yellow shield would look bad, but perhaps a darker copper type NMM could work. thats just a personal oppinion though.

Skill wise, its very good, and i think you can make it look great :) Just use the theory on where to pain light and dark that are discussed in the link posted earlier and i think you will have an awesome model.

8. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Re: WIP: Scar-Veteran (NMM howto?) updated with pics

Thank you all for the comments and tips! ^^
    I finally had the time to work on the model, and I almost finished a new base. I'm wondering though, if I took the good colors for a NMM on the weapon of the saurus. I'm not sure if i should add another layer. Also, what do you guys prefer? The base with the dead elf or without the dead elf?

Any comments are very much appreciated, thanks on beforehand! ^^

http://img215.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc03536c.jpg

9. Great Lord Tlanxla
    Saurus

Great Lord Tlanxla New Member

Re: WIP: Scar-Veteran (NMM howto?) Updated with new pics

Definitely the base with a dead elf. And I think the model looks great. I love it! :D

10. Tetz
    Skink

Tetz New Member

That NMM really came together on him, he looks great! I can't wait to see everything finished

11. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Soo, I finished the model for the competition, I hope you guys like it. Any feedback is appreciated!

12. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Absolutely stunning! Great painting, totally love the base, I can't find anything to criticize! Except maybe that the square stones on the base look a little too neat. I'd try to give them a more weathered look but even then... GREAT JOB!

13. cRASHEr_nITEs
    Skink

cRASHEr_nITEs New Member

Sexy!

Id love to know how to do the non-metallic golds and silvers! I think that makes the model as well as the base. Where is it from?

14. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

There is a link to a very good (but short) tutorial on how to do NMM earlier in this topic. It takes alot of time though, and im still not that good in it :p

15. Tetz
    Skink

Tetz New Member

That model is fantastic! You did an outstanding job, and while the NMM may not be perfect, I do really like how it accents the model.

16. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Very awesome work, and sweet NMM! It is a very striking model, good luck with the competition. I hope you do well.

17. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

Nice Work!

18. Saurus_Guardian
    Skink

Saurus_Guardian New Member

Dude this inspired the metal for my army!!! thanks a lot :smug:

19. Saurus_Guardian
    Skink

Saurus_Guardian New Member

Dude Im so happy to see that you finished it, it inspired the metal and yellow for my army, it looks amazing!

20. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

That model looks awesome! Great paint job and great base on him. Did you use a regular saurus head instead of the scar-vet head? Also, what does NMM stand for?