1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIP Stegadon.

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by martin, Nov 7, 2009.

1. martin
    Jungle Swarm

martin New Member

So here's my WIP Stegadon for the 'Battalion and a Box' challenge we are doing at my local store.

Let me know what you think of the colours.

05112009131-1.jpg
    05112009132.jpg
    05112009133.jpg
    05112009136.jpg
    05112009137.jpg
    05112009131.jpg

Cheers.

2. n1ghtl1fe
    Skink

n1ghtl1fe New Member

Orange and green works surprisingly well.

Was it alot of fun to assemble and paint?

3. martin
    Jungle Swarm

martin New Member

suprisingly yes, i don't normally like big things, but the stegadon kit is awesome!!

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm I don't know... Yes orange and green go niely together, but it is a little halrd to believe the colour scheme. Mostly because on the right hand side of the model, there are bits where the side scales do not connect to the back. When the gap between them is a completely different colour, they look a little like they've had a dodgy haircut. I suggest a small area around the scales be green also to blend them in a bit and make them look more natural. Just my opinion though.

5. Quetzal
    Jungle Swarm

Quetzal New Member

The colors look nice but i think the photos have dulled them out a lot. When using bright skin and dark scales of different colors something that works (depending on the colors) is washing the scales the color of the skin. makes the scales stand out further as that tends to be the focal point of any army, what holds them together.
    I tried this out with and ice blue white skin and a regal blue midnight blue scale and it looked really nice, unfortunately pulling it off with the smaller scales of saurus warriors makes it a bit harder but it works there too.

6. martin
    Jungle Swarm

martin New Member

Strewart- While I would normally agree with your post, I tried this with a test model, I thought this technique looked too 'real' and I wanted to have a Cartoony look to the army, which this method achieves a little better.

Quetzal- The pics were taken from my mobile phone, which hasn't got the best camera, also the weather was muggy to say the least. Also the orange wash would be a little strong for the green scales imo.

Cheers for the feedback, and I should have more pics tomorrow.

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Nice job! I quite like that color scheme you've picked out.

8. martin
    Jungle Swarm

martin New Member

Cheers man, I should hopefully get some more pics today if the weather holds out.

9. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

I suggest adding a two more layers of highlighting to the horns and green scales.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Good luck. :D

10. Quetzal
    Jungle Swarm

Quetzal New Member

It's your model after all and it does look nice as it is. My suggestion would not only solve problems between the edges of the scales and the skin but now with more information give it a more, if not cartoony, unrealistic look. One the borders the edge of reality, i would place it on par with drawing outlines when doing art (as in reality a building/animal/person/ etc has no outline). That's all. hopefully we can see some more photos!.