1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Within charge range, in frontal arc, no room in front

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Keilah, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Keilah
    Jungle Swarm

Keilah New Member

I want to charge an enemy unit, and am in that unit's frontal arc. I am 2" away from the enemy unit. However, the enemy unit is already engaged and has no frontage available in its front.

What happens?

This could easily happen if, say, I had 2 units side by side with one slightly ahead. The one in front gets charged by the enemy, does not break, and it's now my turn. My second unit now wants to charge, but is in the frontal zone of the enemy and could only be brought into btb by making a flank charge.

2. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

I'm not sure why you couldn't make a flank charge in this situation. It sounds as if the entire front of the enemy unit is blocked by your other unit, so the unit you wish to charge with has to be off to the side by at least one inch.

If half the unit you wish to charge with is in the flank of the enemy you can declare a flank charge (unless there is another unit in the way, in which case you would be forced to charge them, or charge nothing).

I think it would depend on how wide the unit you wish to charge with is to determine if it is in the front arc or side arc of the enemy. If you are only in the front arc, then you cannot charge as there is no room to fight.

3. Keilah
    Jungle Swarm

Keilah New Member

Does it really make a difference being partially in one arc or another? My understanding is that if you are MOSTLY in one arc (in reality), then you are, effectively, COMPLETELY in that arc as far as the rules of the game go.

So in my situation, my charging unit would have its front row be mostly in the front arc of the enemy unit, and partially in the flank arc.

4. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

If there is space for you to clip, you clip. Otherwise the charge doesn't happen.

5. ArmyC
    Skink

ArmyC New Member

Same issue.

I had a 5 wide unit engaged with an 8 wide unit. Then next turn I charged the front with a 2nd 5 wide unit. We played it where the 1st unit slid down the line to make room for the new unit, to maximize combat.

If there is only one or two columns open, do I only get to charge those, and leave most of my guys swinging at the wind.

6. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

I don't have my book open so I forget if you get to maximize b2b contact like that in 8th, however your last statement is true. If you only have two rows of models in b2b contact (don't forget about corners, they count) thats is all you get to fight with.

7. wolfmage
    Temple Guard

wolfmage New Member

you still maximise but it sounds like you should be attempting a flank charge as you have nowhere else to go.