1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Woodelves battle this weekend. Help?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Tictaqto, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Tictaqto
    Jungle Swarm

Tictaqto New Member

Hello! I have a 500 point battle against Woodelves this weekend (small potatoes, I know) and I'm wondering if there are any critiques of my army list. I know that he's running 10 glade guard archers, 8 dryads, one dryad hero (general) and three treekin.
    My list is as follows

One skink priest with the bane head (to one hit kill the general)
    18 Saurus warriors w/ musician
    21 ranked skinks with 2 Krox.

My plan is to maybe get some useful magic out of my priest and use the krox/skinks to hold his treekin while I flank them with the saurus. I realize this leaves the saurus open to dryads, but I'm not quite sure how to defend it. I'm hoping that I can dispense with the treekin quickly and then refocus on the dryads. The krox will eat up their armor save, but I still have to get through multiple wounds and 5+ ward saves. The dryads also have 5+ ward saves, but none against magic, so I intend to direct an offensive spell against them. As for the archers, I'm just going to try to stay out of range and hit hard, if not fast. I'm also going to try to use the Aquatic special rule to hide in rivers or marshes. Does this seem feasible?

2. Danskman417
    Saurus

Danskman417 Member

My opinion that is a great list, but id make the skinks use blow darts instead of them being the skink skirmishers, that way you can just run and have them chase you, if you lose them no biggie, but the real trick is making sure you use the lore of fire with you priest, shooting fireballs at the tree kin will make short work of them do to them being flammable, saurus is a great idea though, when is it not?!

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Just a couple of generic Wood Elf tips:
    - You will not be able to just "stay out of range". Other armies might have a gunline option; we don't. Wood elf tactics are not setup multiple charges, and manoeuvre around in the back, waiting for you to come to them. All the while, they'll be shooting you. Good Wood Elf players win by using the movement phase to maximum effect. You're going to have to get in his face, and either by fast, or be able to absorb lots of shooting.
    - Saurus/temple guard/cavalry will eat all of their units for breakfast, except treekin (and treemen, I guess).
    - Dryads will demolish skinks, and are a bad match up for skrox units too, given the low number of attacks and WS of kroxigors. They can also absorb a lot of skink shooting, with their ward save, and shooting at skirmishers BS modifier. On the note of movement from before, as skirmishers, expect these guys to literally run rings around you. Dryads don't stand-still to take a charge; they'll run around a unit's side, so they're out of charge arc, which buys another turn of shooting.
    - Treekin are susceptible to fire, but their high toughness gives them some protection; don't just assume fire = win. The ruby ring of ruin is pretty worthless, IMO. Salamanders are only average performers against them, as well. They're better than our kroxigors, toe-to-toe, but skink-krox units are a good match. Larger units of treekin (~6) will annihilate your skink ranks, though. I've found temple guard with a flaming banner to be excellent at taking these guys out (pointless advice at this point level, though)

Several things:
    You need at least 3 units (unless this is different at very low points games; I don't remember). Heroes/Lords don't count as units.

I would probably back the skrox against the treekin (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The extra ranks and skink meat-shield should probably get you home in that battle.

Your priest will get demolished by everything. I have no idea why you thought he could one-shot the general. Never going to happen. His regular dryads and the general will strike first, and even just 1 regular dryad could probably take him out. Bad idea.

TBW, skink magic is unlikely to do much. Casandora's comet is useless at this level, and not great against wood elves anyway, except for forcing them to move (which is, admittedly, quite a coup). You're also not that likely to get thunderbolt or chain-lightning (again, chain-lightning is not that useful with so few units), so don't go counting on that.

Using aquatic to hide in the rivers... hmmm, dubious. All aquatic does is treat water terrain as not dangerous terrain (read the lizardmen faq). Which means your skrox will not be able to march through rivers; they'll get bogged down like everything else.

I guess that's all the tactical advice you need for the minute.

As for advice about your list:
    - Try and get a banner into your saurus. It can be the difference.
    - Maybe go for a Scar-vet (possibly mounted) with magic sword, instead of your priest.
    - Other than that, you're going to have to fundamentally rethink your list and tactics, simply because you don't have enough units. ... Sorry

Good luck.

Danskman:
    Priests can only take lore of heavens.

4. Huichi Mixi
    Skink

Huichi Mixi New Member

I think he was referring to the bane head item rarther than combat abilities that has a chance at killing the general :jawdrop:

I agree with the above about the priest, you might have more luck with a scar vet and since its a small game you could consider going with a naked scar vet and using the points elsewhere