1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Wrath of the Old Ones

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lherad, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

@Lherad your Lizardmen are beautiful! The stone is painted so well it looks like it is glowing! Great job on the skink body-paint, and I love how you were able to fit the Lizardmen cold-one-champion-head onto the Dark elf cold-one body. Nice conversion work there!

Ritual and Lherad like this.
  2. Herakles93
    Skink

Herakles93 Member

Those models are amazing and definitely something you don't see every other day!

Without coming across as rude, do you mind sharing how you got the white skin with the faded pink tone too it?

Ironically it's the exact kind of scheme I've been looking into recently so any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

@Herakles93 I'm glad that you like the scheme for the skin, I struggled quite a bit to achieve it in the beginning but now I have it down to a science =P

If I have the time I'll try and make a step by step tut but for now here go the steps (I use citadel paints):

1 - Base coat with Rakarth Flesh
    2 - Layer over it with Ulthuan Grey (covering everything with one or two thin layers, so the warm tone of the Rakarth shows underneath)
    3 - Wash with Carroburg Crimson diluted with medium 1/1 (so it tints the skin as well as darken the recesses)
    4 - Layer again with Ulthuan Grey, now leaving the pinkish tint in the recesses (I also wash again the crests of the Skinks with Carroburg Crimson to get a stronger pink)
    5 - Highlight with white

That's it. I usually then shade the scales on the back/tail/upper legs/shoulders with diluted Agrax Earthshade. On the skinks I wash only once to get a subtle result, and on the Guard I use multiple washes to suggest a tougher hide. Also, the stronger colour on the hands and feet I get by mixing Carroburg and Agrax 1/1 and applying it to those areas, feathering the shade out as I get to the forearms and knees. Usually 1 or 2 washes are enough to get the results I like. Ah! And finally when I'm finished with the shades I highlight again with some diluted white on points like knuckles, top of the most prominent scales and spikes on the back, etc...

I hope you find this useful, and post some pics if you try it on your lizzies!! Also, ask anything you want to know, we are here to share ideas and help each other =)

Cheers!

4. Herakles93
    Skink

Herakles93 Member

Thank you so much for sharing that! It's greatly appreciated and I promise I'll post some pictures in a blog when they're up and finished, though I'm not sure they'll be up to par to what you've painted.

All I can say is kudos, not just to your painting, but the colour choices themselves, such as the idea of jade weapons and shields, really complement the skin tone.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forums.

5. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

skink-a-saurus Active Member

Lherad, thank you for the step by step! I may be stealing this to paint my skink characters!

Ritual, Itepixcauh and Lherad like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah me too (for one or two special characters such as an albino Skink as my Starseer and my Sunblood). :)

7. Lherad
    Skink

Lherad Well-Known Member

It has been a while!! I cannot paint as much as I want lately, but making some progress nonetheless.

Finished the two knights and the scar veteran

IMG-20180207-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20180207-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20180207-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20180207-WA0016.jpg

Also, painted the Sunblood!
    Didn't come out as greyish as I wanted, but hopefully his big ass shield and size will help him stand out!

IMG-20180207-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20180207-WA0018.jpg

And finally, I realized that a Bastiladon is a must have so picked one up and tried slapping some paint on him. Not too sure about the colour scheme, so I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Only the head is finished as a test of the final look, keep that in mind.

IMG-20180207-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20180207-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20180207-WA0013.jpg

Cheers!!

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Looks great!
    I wish I had thought of the idea with the brighter and darker parts on the snake hide parts...

9. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

:pompus: bastilladon looks good... move on, sir. /:pompus:
    Gonna be an epic looking army you have there!

Aginor, Ritual and Lherad like this.
  10. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

Hey @Lherad , this is all looking great!!!
    As for the bastiladon the one suggestion i might have is to try a different colour on that metal part on top of its head, around the horn. I'm not sure the contrast will be clear enough with all that red and brown once you've shaded and higlighted it (even though the red does look good on the parts you've highlighted)… Maybe some of that jade green you've got going on, if you can manage a shade that doesnt clash too much witht he red? Or maybe some blueish stone colour? Or even something close to the lighter brown you've got on the skin, like marble-style beige?… I dunno. Your shades of red and brown being kinda close here, with a fade between the two, and the skin that's a lighter brown, that makes finding a third colour kinda hard. The three of them work very well together though :)

11. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

skink-a-saurus Active Member

those scar vets!!! wow!

12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Those cold-one riders look amazing! The jade against the albino-scales is really striking.