1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Yet to be named Lizardmen army!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by DanBot, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

2. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Re: Let to be names Lizardmen army!

So to catch everyone up, I'll post everything that I have done so far. Which is only 30ish skinks.

My inspiration for my skinks.
    http://www.casarioblanco.com/poison-dart-frog.jpg
    My Skinks!
    Big-Group.jpg
    I figured I'd start my log before I get too far along.

My skink chief! Who will be named later. I have a name picked out, but it is unofficial.
    SkinkChief.jpg
    Some other pictures of him, if you're intrested
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/SkinkChiefSide.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/SkinkChiefBack2.jpg
    WIP
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/Chief-tek-tek.gif
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/Chief-side-view.gif
    WIP skink
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/In-work-skink.gif

I really want to make my own weapon for my chief. But I haven't worked with green stuff yet so I am putting it off.

I just played WarHammer for the first time last night! So naturally, my next project is........
    Movement trays! I got some magnets and some steel last nicght. so expect that soon.

3. bgm200
    Saurus

bgm200 New Member

Good thing you got going here, how was your first game?

I like the scheme with the difference colors for legs and bodies, good thinking ;)

Nice highlightning on the blues too.

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

I think the yellow is very nice. it is by far the hardest color to do well. what technique did you use?

5. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

@bgm200
    I forgot to put this in my post. I figure the colors will make a lot more sense with this. haha
    poison-dart-frog.jpg

@Lord Tsunami
    It actually wasn't too hard. I based them in white.
    Next just put on one to two coats of sunburst yellow over most of the body. Not caring too much about the crest or the legs since they'll be blue anyway.
    Then I made almost a 1:1 ratio of Pledge Future Shine and water. maybe closer to 1:2 or 1:3. I just played around with it till it was what i wanted. Then I added solor orange to the mixture.
    Basically I made a dip. Then I'd get some pliers. Hold them by the bottom, and dip them. If they came out too yellow, I'd dip them again or add more solor orange to the mixture. The dip was pretty easy to make. I've made it 3 or 4 times without a defined recipe. But the way I know it's working is, it coats like a GW wash, but it has more color in it. So the spots I leave white turn pure orange after one dip. Like this fellows feet and tip top of his crest.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/In-work-skink.gif
    His hand looks like hell beause when i took him out of the dip I held him by his tail and a lot of it pooled at his hand and really colored them cracks. Oops. Nothing a touch up wont fix. :D
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/Colored-Skink.gif
    And touch ups are a snap. Esp here where there is a break. I just repainted the hard sunburst yellow. And applied the dip like a wash.
    And if ever the dip turns out bad, It did a few times for me when i added too much paint, just put it under the sink and the wash comes off without any scrubbing or anything. takes under 2 seconds.

6. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

My soon to be movement trays. I'm told that if you use just steel and not the GW movement trays the ranks line up better when in base contact with another unit. So that's what I decided I was going to try.

steel.jpg

I'm using my old crappy camare phone. So the picture is pretty crappy. Any advice on how to cut steel in a straight line? I still have to add some senery to the base. But I guess i like it so far.
    badqualbase.jpg

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

cool stuff, but i have a reminder from a game point of view.

skirmishers have ranks nowadays, so you arent allowed to deploy them in the old fashion "random blob". they have a 90 degree LoS like all other units (even for shooting) and they can only shoot in 2 ranks. Hence its not recommended to use that round move tray.

Looks cool though :p

As for cutting in a straight line, i guess you could do one of 3 things:

1) draw a line with a ruler and cut along it the best you can.
    2) get to borrow a big metal sheerer (the type with a lever and 4 legs that can be found in most shop classroms at schools.
    3) cut a reasonably good square and glue it to the bottom of a GW move tray, so you cant see the little misstakes.

GL :)

8. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Oh crap. I guess I don't know how to play with skirmishers. Do I need to put the same amount in each rank? Can I just face them sideways on the same movement tray? I may just have to remake them. Crap

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Check my plog or my blog (signature) to see what a skirmisher movement tray might look look like.

10. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Oh poop. I am not excited about two rows of five at all. Is that the best way to deploy them? I assume so. I am not excited about that at all. Looks like some good work. Nicer than my tray. I like that they are set in there. I just don't like the two row five skink formation. I guess I'll just have to get over it. I'll. Just cut mine in half and put my salamanders on it. And maybe some jungle scenery. Thankz for the help.

11. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

gaming wise, 2 rows of 5 is certainly one of the best ways. 1 row of 10 is better when you want them as a screen ofc.

12. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Thanks for the advice. I made three new trays today. 6.25in by 2.5in. So still relitively small, which I like.

13. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Thanks for the advice. I made three new trays today. 6.25in by 2.5in. So still relitively small, which I like.

14. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Yeah the loose formation has changed quite a bit since 7th edition. Now in 8th, they must be set roughly 1/2 inch appart ranked up (Rulebook page 77). I guess you don't have to have even ranks, but it makes the tray usable in close combat if your skirmishers should ever get caught in CC.

Oooh didn't see you made a new tray. Post pictures when it's done!!!

15. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Yeah, bad news about the skirmishers having to rank up. One my my least favorite rule changes. I still manage to make my skinks very useful in the game, but they are a lot harder to use now.

I love the colors you're using and thanks for that dip recipe too!

16. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I got my three trays done. Once again my girlfriends camara charger is MIA so I'll e using my phone. So the quality will be a tad lacking.

I've been posting on my phone too. If i add too many words on my phone the stop apearing which is wierd. So most of the short and sweet posts i make are so short for that reason. Haha

Anyway, I got my new movement trays donish. They still need some pretting up. bushes and such. probably going to make them removable since i am now addicted to putting magnets on things. The magnets i got are almost too strong. I keep scratching the paint before i added the dirt and moss seperating the magnets from the steel.

They are 6.25 inches by 2.5 inches.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/3trays.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/NewTray.jpg

I just noticed the front right corner of the middle tray is bent a little. I'll be finxing that asap.
    I like the style of the trays better than the GWs trays i think. I'm not sure where I got the advice, But it was on these forums somewhere. They didnt have pictures or anything though. So i don't know how theirs came out.

Once again I hate that the quality of my pictures has gone down so much. When i can find one of my dad's camaras and usb cord I use that. Now I'm looking to buy my gf a new charger. The fuzzy pictures really suck. :(

17. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I need some more help too.

Number 1: I need to make 3 skink braves out of the old OOP models. I got 2 stegadon sets and a carnosaur unopened. And i have a skink box opened. But nothing in the skink box seems to help. I got some green stuff too that I am dying to work with. If anyone has any ideas or some cool pictures, that would help a lot. I want to do more than just paint the crest red and call it a brave.

Number 2: I need some game help too. My next project is my Skrox units. What i need to know is what is the best way to equip the skinks? Full command? sword sheild? Jav? Can they use the jav ranged and melee range? What do you think is the best route?

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well there is only one option, Javelin and shields, (and hand weapon).
    also Javelins are only ranged weapons, you have to use the hand weapon
    and shield in close combat, and it's not poisoned but you do get th 5+ ward save.
    oops that was suposed to be 6+

Also I Would at least get the musician and standard bearer.
    you can make these with bits from the steg kit.

19. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I actually have the skink command that you can get from GW. You're talking about the skrox right? I feel dumb. Of course only javs. What gives them the 5+ ward save? I must be missing a group of rules on this or something. Is there only one way to rank them up?
    http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/...st Painting Challenge/2arliSkroxFinished1.jpg
    Or can you put the back row of skinks on the wings.

Can you do something like this?

SSKKKKSS
    SSKKKKSS
    SSSSSSSS

if that makes sense.

20. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The Kroxigors must go in the second rank. Other than that, you can run them surrouned by skinks. You could leave one or both flanks open (without skinks) or the rear without skinks, your choice. If ou run a horde unit (10 wide) you can get supporting attacks from any skinks behind the 2nd rank of kroxigors.