1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Yet to be named Lizardmen army!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by DanBot, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

OMG. I got side tracked with a lot of different things. I am now working on like 5 projects at once. I got quite a bit done on my tetto'eko base. But now I am also sculpting him a head. Plus I am working on a 50mm setting for him so I can run him as a slann mage in the mean time. Because of course I plan to do a lot of conversion work on my slann too. (Note to self, before wasting weeks on a special character make a slann first) Also I've been doing work on a sallie. Water bases mostly. I've actually got the bases done. And I am pretty happy with them. I have improvements for future sallies, but nothing too ground breaking. Now I have to consider colors for the sallie.

When doing the water base I had more of an estuary biome in mind than the usual swamp. So it's making me think too hard about my color scheme. I'm thinking clear water and a lot of flat open ground. Apex predator. Kind of thinking camouflage. But at the same time thinking poisonous reptile. So colorful. IDK. I'll post some pictures over easter weekend I hope.

2. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I don't have my gf's camara right now. So my picture quality will be pretty crappy. I used my tablet's camara which is not the worst thing in the world though.
    Anyway. Here is the most current picture of my tetto'eko conversion. It's not glued in place. The parts are just kind of laying on each other. But this is my new idea for making him float.
    wip1.jpg
    It's hard to see black and unpainted. But it's a magical rock formation coming out of the front right and spiraling around to the back. Thoughts?

Here is the water base I've been working on for my sallies.

base3.jpg
    skinkbase1.jpg
    sallieall.jpg

I got the skinks done. But they still have their male end slot thing hanging between their legs. ;)
    I lent out my clippers so I can't trim them up and stick them on their base yet.

Also I wasn't sure if I liked it more before or after I added the algae stuff on the water and stone.
    WIP stuff.
    base2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/base1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Chibi_Mushi/Lizardmen/curing.jpg

Not that too many if any are fallowing my thoughts about my sallie colors. But I think I figured out my scheme. I am going to paint him a swampy blue/green and his underbelly and highest highlights of parts of his skin a bright orange/yellow to make him look poisonous, camo like, and tie his colors in with the rest of the army. Lot of blending. My bane.

I'll make sure the end product is done with a proper camara.

3. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i LOVE the sally (and handler) bases. keep it coming :)

4. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I'm pretty excited about the bases myself. The green on the water turned out perfect imo.

The sallie colors came out just the way I imagined it, and the the way I discribed it in my earlier post. So I am just as happy with how he turned out. Good model for me all around. :) And I didn't screw up his eyes. Big plus for me.

A shame a better camara and a flash almost ruins the water effect, It seems to make a white shine on the edges and makes it look strange.

What do you guys think?

Side-done.jpg

done-top.jpg

5. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Awesome looking stuff so far DanBot. I really like the work you've done on the palanquin so far. Its coming along nicely. I also really enjoy the salamanders and the saurus are looking to be promising.

6. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Thanks. I actually have about 50 of the saurus done now. I have a few done with the new gw paints too. They look a lot different in the purple/pink. I just decided to stop posting pics of core after about 4 pages of nothing but skinks. I have a good 50 or so of them done too. I'll post a picture of the whole army once Iget my tetto'eko and some krox and more sallies done. I'm aiming to have tetto done by the end of may.

7. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Sweet! I look forward to seeing the upcoming pictures then :)

8. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Awesome salamander, mate. Looks like you blended the colours really well. Nice one.

What did you end up using for the water base?

9. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I used woodland senics realistic water. It's pretty awesome stuff. But the real winner is woodland senics water effects. That stuff is amazing. Youtube that stuff. So easy to use. Realistic water is probably a little expensive for what it does. But water effects is so easy to use and turns out great. I'm currently using both to make some swamps and marshes.

10. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

saurus.jpg
    Ok so here is my mostly done saurus. I played a game the other day got in to cc and use my parry save and my opponent was shocked to find out I was using hw and shield. I just remembered I never gave them shields.

I need some advice. What color? I was thinking green. But IDK if that is too much. I have about 6 painted more pink that I did with the new GW paints as well. So pink purple blue and green bits. What color should I make the sheilds? I was thinking green till about an hour ago.

11. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Orange? It goes well with both purple and blue.

12. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Direct complementary color to Blue is Orange. If you want to get a complementary color for both blue and purple, go with a yellow-orange (yellow is the compliment to purple).

Love my trusty color wheel!

13. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

^ Agree with the above. Orange will look really nice against those colors.

14. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

the orange/yellow of your skinks skin would not only be great contrast, it would help tie the army together :)

15. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Yeah. I really like the idea of the orange/yellow shields. I don't think i want to use the exact same colors as my skinks just so it doesn't look like they are made from skink flesh. Haha. I'm going to paint up some mock shields this weekend. Hopefully before then actually.

16. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Well I lent out my most of my base coats so I didnt get around to painting any shields. I did however get some work done on a skink chief. Since I plan on running a pair in my skrox in the near future. Plus I love this model. It's just aboutr done. Mostly touch ups and a little basing work left.

Newskink.jpg

Newskink2.jpg

A shame my lighting doesn't do much justice to the colors in his skin and shield. But that's the basic look,

And a posible color for my skink shields and maybe even my saurus.

17. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Nice looking skink chief! I wish I had that model. They better remake him in resin whenever we get an army update!

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Your links seem to have typos in them. (img.photobucket ?)

19. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I don't know if a mod edited them for me. But they seem to have a working picture. And using img.photobucket. idk.
    Newskink2.jpg

Newskink.jpg

These work? It's the same from above.

It may be my browser. It says the ones you have linked are broken in your post. Do the two in your post work for you?

20. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

While I'm here I should probably post some kind of update.

Me and a few friends got half way done with a game today and we took a few pictures so we can recreate it and finish up on a later date. I'll post some of the reference pictures here.

It was a very friendly game. Daemons and Ogres. Vs Lizardmen and Dark Elves. 5000 points a side.
    No slann. No Iron guts deathstar. No death fist. No unkillable DE lord. No ring of hotek or even sacrificial dagger. Super casual. Those weren't even pre game rules. Just all happened to make friendly lists. All fun stuff. It was nice.
    Unless you count tetto'eko or two hydras not friendly play. haha. But he did bring a blood letter horde. ANd a cannon. So there was some serious stuff on both sides.

If the pictures aren't working for you because of whatever is happening, here are links.

Our side(left to right)
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8131/20120905214238.jpg
    http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8268/20120905214224.jpg

His side(left to right)
    http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2525/20120905214300.jpg
    http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8697/20120905214308.jpg

Our side(left to right)
    20120905214238.jpg
    20120905214224.jpg

His side(left to right)
    20120905214300.jpg
    20120905214308.jpg

I bet now you are wondering how an the H did those blood letters end up in a spot like that?
    The answer to that is the same as the answer to "that doesn't look like 2500 points of DE"

Those blood letters charged a unit of 20 black guard. Turns out the elite DE troops are no match for bloodletters. Like no contest. I was shocked. That mammoth behind the blood letters make all enemy units in cc strike last. Sooooo, he took lets say something like 27-28 swings with his blood letters into said black guard before they could swing. And with hatred, WS5, S5-s7, and killing blow, knocked them guard down to 5 before they even swung back. Next round I came in on both flanks and with a free +5 combat res from the remaining useless black guard his blood letters went another turn with little loss. Next round, I'll make them pay. It'll be a great feeling beating on the helpless blood letters too. How often do you get the upper hand vs them things?

(Best seen in center of picture 3) Also there is a unit of 20 Black Guard in front of a small 4x3 unit of iron guts (they're core!). No Hero in them. No BSB. Not even a horde. So this time DE charged in on the iron guts. Mostly to get them out of the way of the Saurus coming in on the bloodletters. I ask my friend, "can you win this combat?" He says Oh yeah! So I charge in with my steg too. Impact hits and some extra kick! Then, bam! That damn Mammoth strikes again. 5 DE left again. Another 2 die to stomp. We get 8 wounds on him between the two of us. And I am no doubt losing my steg for this. :(

Despite the black guard being a massive disappointment, DE is actually not pulling me down too much. In Picture 2 you can see one of my Salamanders in combat with a unit of lead belchers. That's because I had to charge to get out of the way of his spears coming in on the side of a unit of bulls with his mage/general in it. Corsairs in the front. Spearmen in the side. Corsair's Slavers(reroll highest die when fleeing vs them) took down around 900 points right there (You can actually see the removed unit, poorly removed in the back of picture 2) And That bolt thrower got two wounds on that Bloodthirster. Which is the other general and at least 600 points. And That hydra in Picture 1 is running all over those daemonettes. The DE player has actually accomplished much more than me so far. Although he did get my Steg and that Salamander killed in the process.

PAINTING!
    As you can see despite lack of updates I have gotten painting done.
    In picture 1 you can see: 55-60 Saurus. My Tetto'eko 95% done. And my updated weapon for my old Skink Chief. (used a priest)
    In picture 2 you can see: Two salamanders(actually a third on the far left) One Razordon. And a WIP Steg.
    In picture 3 you can see: My three terradons, and 6 camo skinks without bases. (Also very useless this game. They killed the Mask(a low cost daemon hero) that's it.)
    In picture 4 you can see: Another WIP steg and that 3d Salamander mentioned in picture 2.