1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Tactics vs. Beastmen

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Hasnat, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

What is the best way to fight Beastmen in small(ish) games of about 1000 points?

2. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The beastmen are an army lizzies can really dominate in small games. They have virtually no armour save, next to nothing in terms of shooting and comparatively poor leadership. However, they can be fast moving and do have a number of monstrous beasts, chariots and bigger monster that can really put a beating on lizzie infantry. I would suggest a mounted scar vet with re-roll of the armour save as general and lots of skinks and skink cohorts. Depending on the size, a block of saurus can form a very tough anvil as well.

3. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Hello,
    Just don't Feed the minotaurs with anything, They have 5 Attacks each (3 base+AHW+Frenzy) +D3 impact hits+Stop, With Str 5 (and they cost like a Kroxigor:() AND they gain an additional Attack for each point they win combat, and GW FaQ that this can go above 10.
    Most of Beastman players I've seen like to spam cheap shamans with beath/shadow near the Heardstone and buff his Troops. Basic Gores are T4 but only S3, but with a little help from the signature spell they can quickly be tough guys. I recomend Salamanders and some skink priests just to lower his Ld and Panic them.
    P.S Beastmen special Rule is Ambush, and He can put one unit in reserve if he has one on the table and the hidden unit can come out from our table edge..

4. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Skinks for minotaurs?

I fear them getting charged though and giving the minotaur free extra attacks for later. Maybe a small Skrox (immune to the stomp at least) to piggy back the Krox into battle to finish off the minotaurs after they kill all your skinks?

Never played against beastmen though, so this is just guesswork.

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

beastmen are weak. at 1000p a full skink army will own them up and down the street. or a more standard composition should work just fine. as mentioned minotaurs are scary, so delay them with skinks, and dont let them fight your sauri. if you let them fight a few units of skink redirectors that is fine as long as you are SURE they will never reach anything important.

You can use the doubble skink block-redirection trick. that requires 2 units of skinks, but he will never get to fight anything. the standard troops will get their asses handed to them by sauri. i guess stegadons can be usefull too. they can take a beating from the beastmen core stuff and they dont have any cannons to be afraid of.

6. vapor
    Razordon

vapor New Member

I play both, don't be too quick to dismiss Beastmen even at low points.

If he knows what he's doing you'll end up seeing a Lvl 3 or 4 Great Bray Shaman (with the combat stats of a fighty lord + magic), the 206 BSB (2+ armor save and Banner of the Beast which gives a unit +1 S), a big block of AHW Gors, a block of Bestigor, some Ungor Raider chaff, and either chariots, harpies, or Poomba's to round out the points. Primal fury means they they'll hit a lot of their attacks, and even unbuffed they'll tend to get a lot of kills just on the sheer number of dice they're tossing.

At that point level he's probably going to leave the minnies at home, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. (If he doesn't then congrats on your easy win via poison shots!)

The trick will be to outmaneuver him and get combo charges while trying to take out his characters, the BSB is especially important to kill as he gives rerolls to primal fury tests as well as other leadership tests. I'd suggest several skirmisher units, and either two Skrox blocks or Skrox and a Saurus block.