Login | Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:06 pm 
Skink
I think a big pro for the dip is the price. It cost me about 30 dollars (canadian) for the 250 ml tin. I think the cost of buying 250 ml of devlin mud would really add up. I'm fairly confident the tin will do me for the whole army. Now I've only dipped one test model but it seems to pull in on itself more than a wash of devlin mud would. I noticed this on the blade edge of the model and on the face (notable around the teeth). Mind you I don't normally paint with washes to begin with. With my 40k Eldar I normally layer up from a dark prime.

@allseeingskink - I really dig your mini's man nice bright and vibrant.

So as of last night this is the current status of my unit of Saurus:

I've got my browns, silver and greens down and have started painting up the gold bits. I think what I like most right now is the time saved in set up of my work station. Right now I have a pot of shining gold a palette and a cup of water buy my unit. Makes it easier to sneak away for 20 min or so when I have time to put some paint on my mini's

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:14 pm 
Kroxigor
about the price... you wouldnt need to buy 250 ml of devlan mud for a single army. if you painted it on instead of dipping you could probably get by with two cans, possibly 3, making the devlan mud much cheaper. its the time you save, not really the money.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:12 am 
Well, after reading this thread I decided to take my hour and a half round-trip jaunt to my "local" hobby store and picked up some Army Painter primer, mat varnish, and the Strong version of Quickshade. Also came with a "free" booklet with painting advice using Army Painter's 4 step program. I haven't broke into it yet, but am planning on it this coming week.

- Lord Cedric

Bretonnians, Dwarfs, Lizardmen, High Elves, Wood Elves, Ogres, Dark Elves, Vampire Counts, Orcs & Goblins, Empire, Skaven, Tomb Kings, Chaos Warriors

8th Edition Record
W 30/ L3 / T 2

Playing Since 4th Ed.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:34 am 
Skink
Just a few photo's to show the steps I have completed so far. My next move is to glue the shields onto the lizardmen themselves. Then I'll finish up the golds and just have the few red and white bits left before dipping.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 am 
Kroxigor
my honest opinion is that the shields were probably a bit of a blunder. I would very much recommend a contrasting colour to keep the unit from looking dull. I do like the green theme on the sauruses, but adding green shields will move them from "natural" and "cool" to "dull".

Traditionally red is the complement color to green, but you do not have to use it. Blue, purple, orange, yellow, pink, a yellowish brown, there are plenty of great options that will add a splash of color to the unit making it stand out on the battle field rather than fade in to the background.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 pm 
Skink
I hear ya man. I was avoiding using complementary colours to prevent any blemishes from the dip standing out. Its not really an issue with the shields though as its all one colour anyway. I have a can of demonic yellow waiting to be used on my skinks. I'll give a shield a blast of it and see how it looks. One advantage to painting the shields yellow is that it will tie the saurus ascetically in with the skinks (yellow skin and orange scales).

Edit:

I've just finished painting up the shields. I'm glad you pointed me in that direction as I'm happy with the result. Only Reds and Whites and the unit will be ready for dipping.

Further Edit:

One more photo with a dipped shield in place.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
Kroxigor
Wow, very cool. My problem is that my Saurus have tiger striping, so even though I can get the base colors on fast with an airbrush, each one then takes about a half hour to 45 min to stripe neatly and convincingly. I have about 20 more to go...wishing I had dipped instead right now...

Skaven conversions & sculpting: http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/1173848/1/

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:29 pm 
Kroxigor
i think the yellow shields are a major improvement. congratulations sir! :)

now, im looking forward to the skinks :mrgreen:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:11 am 
Skink
Managed to nearly finish the saurus. I just need to paint some finishing touches on the banner and drum then the unit is good to be dipped. I wanted to see how the yellow primer would look so I decided to build a unit of skink skirmishers. I'm really happy with how solid the yellow is with the primer.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:59 am 
Saurus Warrior
Wow :shock: amazing work. Love the saurus can´t wait the skinks.

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next