1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2,000 of Starborne Saurus

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by ArtoriusaurusRex, Apr 8, 2021.

1. ArtoriusaurusRex
    Temple Guard

ArtoriusaurusRex Well-Known Member

So, I used to wonder about the viability of Saurus in a Starborne list, and how it could best be done. Put the idea aside, because "obviously" Saurus are meant to be run in Coalesced and Starborne is for Skinks.

Or, maybe not. Apparently a couple of experienced players around here think they can function, or even do well.

So here's a list I'd be interested in experimenting with:

--------------------------------------------------------

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Starborne
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (230)
    - Artefact: Blade of Realities
    Lord Kroak (320)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Celestial Harmony
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    Skink Starseer (140)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Master of Star Rituals
    - Artefact: Cloak of Feathers
    - Spell: Celestial Harmony

40 x Saurus Warriors (320)
    - Spears
    20 x Saurus Warriors (180)
    - Clubs
    20 x Saurus Warriors (180)
    - Clubs
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    Sunclaw Starhost (160)
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)
    Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 124

----------------------------------------------------------

It's unrefined. Somehow it seems too simple to me, too. Like the toolkit is too limited.

Is this a good place to start? What might I swap around to squeeze more juice out of the concept?

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

i always always run saurus is star born it's just better over all.
    this list is for the most part solid if you want changes one would be to make the old blood a foot hero in order to bring a scar vet or drop the guard to make your warriors 40 30 20 and the possibility of a triumph.

Lizerd likes this.
  3. ArtoriusaurusRex
    Temple Guard

ArtoriusaurusRex Well-Known Member

Do you think the list is a bit too simplistic? I'm looking at it and wondering if it needs some sort of utility or ranged damage. Or maybe that would just weaken the idea.

And otherwise, it feels odd to do a list without one of the named Constellations. I didn't do DT because I didn't think it needed to deepstrike, I suppose.

Am I looking at that the wrong way?

Erta Wanderer and Lizerd like this.
  4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

overall solid list, although i personally feel like it would be better served in koatls claw just due to the more consistent jaw attacks and flat rend on said jaws. Starborne does have its undeniable uses though so it certainly can work other thing that might be worth considering, it might make sense to cut some saurus to get a skink screen. finally, cut some stuff for a sun claw (maybe some saurus? its up to you). the rend on weapons is a huge boost in their overall efficiency and damage out put.

5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

i don't even bring kroak w
    it would not. the advantage you get from 2 rend clubs and teleporting far exceeds any perceived damage increase from jaws. in fact claw does less damage when the same buffs are applied and is far less able to get the warriors to where they can do that said damage

Lizerd likes this.
  6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

well that is the problem of running kroak and warriors, both are resorse intensive. that said no i don't think ranged damage would help and the lack of screens is mitigated somewhat by having summoning.
    personally i always run vanilla slann in DT it lets me focus much more on warriors and even bring along screens and some of my pet units

ArtoriusaurusRex likes this.
  7. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

You could run DT, you'd just be replacing the relic really.
    And Kroak having the correct keyword means you can drop off of him, either after a teleport or before a teleport. The Starseer is an underused, but really good unit in my opinion. That 3D6 charge is very useful, especially for Sauras who want to be swinging before what ever they fight (barring units with fight first rules... Those are a pain.)

You could also drop the balewind to keep Kroak mobile alongside the Astro, using him more as a utility and dispel piece rather than his normal nuke potential. (Pick his spell too, though it can change in your hero phase, so there may not be much point.)

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.