1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. 2000 pts. Lizardmen vs. Wood Elves

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by superskink3000, Mar 4, 2010.

1. superskink3000
    Saurus

superskink3000 New Member

Hey everyone!! So next week I have a 2000pts match vs an army of wood elves. I have no idea what is going to be in the enemies force, but i can provide to you what I've laid out thus far.

Saurus Oldblood
    Light Armour
    Carnosaur
    Sword of the Hornet
    Enchanted Shield
    Glyph Necklace 430 pts.
    Skink Priest
    Level 2 Wizard
    Engine of the Gods
    Plaque of Tepok 405 pts.
    Skink Priest
    Blood Statuette of Spite 90 pts.
    18 Saurus Warriors
    Spears
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Spawning Champion 246 pts.
    18 Saurus Warriors
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Spawning Champion 228 pts.
    10 Skink Skirmishers
    Blowpipes 70 pts.
    10 Skink Skirmishers
    Blowpipes 70 pts.
    10 Skinks (cohorts)
    Javelins
    Shields 50 pts.
    10 Skinks (cohorts)
    Javelins
    Shields 50 pts.
    4 Terradons
    Javelins 120 pts.
    3 Kroxigors
    Great Weapons 165 pts.
    1 Salamander
    Flaming Bile 75 pts.
    Total: 1999 pts.

My tactics with this force would have the carny, terradons, and a unit of cohorts on one flank, while the kroxigors, other cohorts, and salamander would be on the flank. The saurus, EotG and skirmishers would form my centre. Using the Portent of Warding and (hopefully) celestial shield to aid in my shooting defense, i would advance forwards with all haste and engage the enemy as soon as possible. Once close enough, hopefully the Burning Alignment and Lightening bolts will really weaken them so that all of my combat units will have a nice walk in the park against the WE CC units.
    i know that WE have very potent shooting, but I'm not too sure as to what extent. Also, I am really unfamiliar with WE forest spirits. Elves generally have M WS BS S T W I A Ld if I'm not mistaken. What sort of armour do
    5 4 4 3 3 1 5 1 8
    they have, what kind of weapons do they use, and what are their general tactics.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. lazylizard
    Temple Guard

lazylizard New Member

well i have played two different WE armies so far. nothing to really worry about. i'll break it down for you:

Dark Elves - eternal hatred (this sucks for us at least)
    High Elves - always strikes first (i can live with that)
    Wood Elves - Regeneration

so in other words, get a Scar-Vet on a cold one and give him the burning blade. he can be your treeman hunter.

Wood Elves are strong when it comes to speed and shooting, they have a butt load of archers, they have their fast cav, and they have their skirmishers. all of which can do some kind of shooting. the wardancers are the ones to keep away from unless you are close enough with the burning alignment to just try and take some of them out. i believe they're something like S5 or S6 with a 5+ AS and 4+ Regen.

what you need to do is take a vet with burning blade to take out big threats, put everything near your EotG to get your 5+ and bring razordons to take out the riders (don't forget extra handlers). Bring plenty of skirmishers because he will move the forest and once it hits your unit then it will hurt. besides that, i've never really had a big problem with them.

BUT I COULD BE WRONG :mad:

3. martino503
    Skink

martino503 New Member

bring a slann with lore of life make terrain attack them even tress. hehehe :clown:

4. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

sadly the forest spirits are immune to woods attacking them (i think?)

i found against WE, they dont have much in the way of static combat res, so either force him into one-on-one combats with your blocks, or use things like solo characters charging out into his skirmishers to catch him off guard.

overall magic is a good way forward, as stated with so many small skirmishing units they tend to be very vulnerable to any 2d6 S4 thing you throw.

also, beware the wardancers and thier killing blow. can make that nigh-on unkillable sarus character with his -1+ save rather dead....

i've never tried razordons yet, and as they still take penalties for shooting at skirmishers and targets in cover, i cant really advise taking them here either.

5. Thunder Lizard
    Skink

Thunder Lizard New Member

Some fun fact about We's. They really don't regen. They have a spell arials blessing that gives a unit regen for a turn and one item, oak armor (i think that the name) thats light armor and gives the bearer regen. Tree spirts, (Wild riders, tree kin, dryads, tree man) all come with a 5+ ward save vs non-magical attacks/shooting. Woodies are good at three things moving, shooting and baiting. They can move and shoot without the -1 to hit, almost all their elves have bows other then the tree spirts and war dancers and the entire army can move through forest as if it were open land. That includes the horses!. All tree sprits are ITP. so no fear test with them but that also means they can't flee a charge.
    Some WE's will bait a unit of glade riders. After u charge them the glade riders will flee and leave your chargers out to dry in the open. Me I used my tree kin this way and u would be shocked how many people took the bait, I would leave them in the open and not move them and make u come to me. When you got to the tree kin i would have 2 counter chargers set up, one if the kin held and the other if they broke. (I would do this for char units or cav units)
    We's really don't have much armor to speak of. Treeman get a 3+, tree kin 4+ wild riders 5+ and for the most part thats it. Wild riders, wardancers have magic resitance +1. Treeman are S6 T6 W5, Tree Kin S5 T5 W3, Wild riders are S4 (S5 on the charge) T3, Wardancers are S3 (S4 on the charge) T3.

Keys to winning. Armor. They have 2 units that have killing blow and one item Way watchers and wardancers. they have a arrow that stops armor save but its rarely used. And really only one that gives you -3 armor (Treeman)

Way watchers get killing blow with their bows at short range (12in) and wardancers can take the death dance.

War dancers have 4 dances. a+4 ward, killing blow, strike first, extra attack. They can only chose 1 each combat round that cant do the same dance twice.

don't get flanked. They have 3 fast cav units and 3 skim units and warhawks. What I like to do is set a battle line up. and move forward with it (ranked troops) hold and let my faster units protect my flanks while tryng to pushing them back. It u take away their movement they are toast. They have poo for static res in most combat. If they can't break u on the charge or the next turn they will lose.

Make them fight when they don't want to. We's die easy. They have to pick their battles. Make them fight on your terms.

Magic them with the EoTG.

Stay out of the forest tree signing can be a pain. WE's lvl1 spell

Treemen can be hero's whice is nasty. They can get a sprit that you only Hit on 6's in close combat. Also treeman have a ranged attack, strangle roots, can't remember the range but art dice of hits at S4 or S5 (If you are in the woods)

Last two items to watch for is the amber pendent, Any enemy in close combat strikes last. They pair that with a great weapon. S6 attacks before you get a shot in hurts and lastly Hail of doom arrow. One time use 2 D6 shots S4. Thats all for now any questions let me know. Hero's WS6 S4 T3

Your Friendly Thunder Lizard

6. probody
    Jungle Swarm

probody New Member

Thunder Lizard are you 100% sure that Hail of Doom is 2 D6? My friend always plays it as 3 D6 even though he originally was using 4 D.

Also I'd be iffy playing an oldblood if your opponent has waywatchers a ranged killing blow is frightening.
    :mad:

My friend is usually weak on magic defense I think lore of beasts would be good to limit his movement and up your own.

7. Thunder Lizard
    Skink

You are right, I didn't proof read yes its 3 D6. My Bad.

The Thing with a old blood you can take one you just have to shield him from the ways and dancers, it should be easy depending on what the We's are running.

8. Thunder Lizard
    Skink

If it were me I would leave both these units out. The We's arrows can pick them apart and or their low Ld, makes them a flight risk against fear and terror units. (Wild riders on the charge as long as they have a musician, Dryads, tree kin, and Treen man) I know for 50pts they are good arrow catchers but I would rather use those points elsewere.

I like the build but for a treeman hunting I would use the +1S with no armor saves and a enchanted shield. That way the Treeman gets no saves against you Lord and u still have a 1+AS. Just keep your Lord out os sight of the Ways and dancers or close to the engine and pop the5+ ward save Its the same thing.

9. superskink3000
    Saurus

superskink3000 New Member

I like your suggestion for the oldblood. I never thought of that, good call. As for my flank protection, does anyone have any suggestions about it? Also, is the carnosaur worth it?

10. Koopa
    Jungle Swarm

Koopa New Member

I've played woodelfs for a few years now...

As far as flank protection, with the list you have, don't bother. You will lose the flank reguardless and end up losing more trying to protect it than not. Only thing I'd put out there from this list is some skirmishing skinks the poison attacks vs wild riders would be nice. The engine is one of the most annoying things in the game for a woodelf player... AOE dmg that can't be stopped at all and negates our only save (for most troops). So I'd put it right in the middle. Hail of doom is 3d6 s4 at the user's BS which is usually on an alter noble so even long range he will be hitting on 2's. Wardancers have MR1 and a constant 6+ wardsave, if they get a charge off (assuming its a knowledgeable WE player) you can almost gaurentee the unit they charge is done for. Treesinging spell has two portions, move a forest and a dmg portion to it, the dmg portion has NO RANGE. So be careful of deploying in a forest.

11. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

As for an opponents build, I usually find that there are two or three units of ten glade guard (archers) as many units of dryads, three units of glade riders and/or wild riders, and wardancers waywatchers or a treeman. I rarely come across warhawks or treekin and never come across eternal guard.
    Generally there will be an alter noble (M9 who can not join a unit) and a treesinger with either a branchwraith or a second treesinger. That is what I usually come up against at 2000 points but occasionally someone will have a bizarre list that no one would expect.

12. Tenebrius
    Jungle Swarm

Tenebrius New Member

EoTG?

13. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

EoTG means engine of the gods; also, this thread is FOUR years old, so everything they are discussing is from the old army books -.-