1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2k competitive(?) Kroak list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Xasto, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Hey y'all!
    I have some instore tournaments lined up in january and I wanted to test out competitive lists in preparation for an eventual bigger event here in Québec, Canada.

This list is based off @darren watson 's recent Blood and Glory list. His performance there really inspired me to try and tinker with the list and find my own take on it!

Now before commenting on the list, keep in mind that I sadly do not have access to all the models that are in the original list, and so I'm trying to build one with the same idea but with different execution. Without further ado, here it is!

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Lord Kroak (450)
    - General
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    - Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact: Light of Dracothion
    Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings
    Celestant-Prime (340)
    - Allies
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    5 x Saurus Knights (100)
    - Celestite Lances
    2 x Razordons (80)
    Bastiladon (280)
    -Solar Engine
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)
    Shadowstrike Starhost (170)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Allies: 340 / 400

I Kinda like the Knights here, giving me a flanking unit with a bit more of a punch, especially since they become a good target for the Starpriest's Serpent Staff. As I do not have any more skinks or Rippers I'm using razordons and a Bastiladon to provide aditionnal firepower, the idea being that they can help the Prime mop up after Kroak has gone nuclear. Not sure if I should keep them in Summoning points.

As for Kroak himself, as much as I'd like to I do not have a Balewind Vortex. I know that's kind of a big piece of the puzzle and I do eventually want to get one but I still wanted to try without it, as I have had success in the past just with the help of the Astrolith Bearer. I just need to think harder about Kroaks positionning and protect him.

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

How are you going to protect Kroak from deep strike units?

I can't see the skinks or knights doing much in such small numbers are you just going to use them as shielding units?

3. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

The plan is to fully buff him with Summon Starlight, Mystic Shield and the addition here of the Priest's celestial rites to get him rerolling some saves. Might actually matter. And yes, the skinks units are there to shield him to the best of their capabilities.

The knights are there to fill the 3rd battleline role too, as I prefer them over 5 guard or 10 warriors. I do not have another 10 skinks as this is what I would probably have used, but like I said the knights do get a little synergy bonus :p

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

They will be a distraction leaving Kroak and Prime to do their stuff :)

Get it tested and let us know how it goes.

5. darren watson
    Kroxigor

darren watson Well-Known Member

With the Shadowstrile Skinks pre-game move and deploying Kroak in a bottom corner, you only need to roll a 5 plus on 2d6 to make it impossible for units that deep strike to be within 24" of him. The Saurus Knight's foot print is surprisingly useful in this role as well (been experimenting with a Draco tail list that runs 25 knights in it). Once these rogue elements are down, Kroak can normally safely teleport to a better location. It's only a real issue against KO, but we have nothing to take them on atm anyway.

Seraphage and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Loos solid, Prime and Basti maybe a nice trade off for the 9 Rippers I had.

I'd consider dropping the 2 Dons and Priest to have an extra 160 points for summoning. Reduces drops and would give you the option to summon them into better positions or summon a second Astrolith for the Tzeentch match up (assuming of course you an get a hold of a second Astrolith)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

I quite like this idea. I sadly do not have a second Astrolith but I like the flexibility the summoning of the razordons could give me. I guess I could also summon back a dead astrolith if need be! Plus, ofc, less drops!

Edit: Would drop me to 5 drops, which isn't half-bad I think

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. darren watson
    Kroxigor

No balewind? Kroak is impacting the game turn 1 with 1!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Yes, this is on my to buy list starting next year hahaha

Crowsfoot and darren watson like this.
  10. darren watson
    Kroxigor

in a competitive setting, having the choice is very important for an army based around Kroak

Seraphage, Crowsfoot and Xasto like this.