1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2k List TL/Kroak

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Valdis16, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Valdis16
    Skink

Valdis16 New Member

Hey guys, I am really thrilled with this new book.
    I want to come up with a TL list with Kroak, do you think this is viable ? What about this list ?

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Constellation: Thunder Lizard

LEADERS

Engine of the Gods (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Prime Warbeast
    - Artefact : Fusil of Conflaguration

Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell : Stellar Tempest

Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell : Hand of Glory

UNITS

12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    20 x Skinks (120)

BEHEMOTHS

Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon : Solar Engine
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon : Solar Engine

BATTALIONS

Thunderquake Temple-host (150)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Balewind Vortex (40)
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)

TOTAL: 1980/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 111

I was mainly hesitant with the 2x20 Skinks and the artefact on the Starpriest, considering Aetherquartz Brooch would be useless.

ILKAIN, Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Looks pretty viable. Sadly I think we are better off not running the lovely dino behemoths the armys has access to :(

Lizerd and Valdis16 like this.
  3. Valdis16
    Skink

Valdis16 New Member

:(
    Why do you think so? What should I consider instead?

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  4. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

I mean almost anything in the book is "viable" to a degree. I totally think you can field the army and have a good run with your buddies, but I doubt it will win the next big AoS tournament.
    Why would the Aetherquartz Brooch be useless? Thunder Lizard is a pretty CP hungry army and you really want to at least use 2 CPs per round to have those Bastiladons shoot twice. Since they are shooting twice a turn, buffs really start to make a big deal.

I would consider changing the Skinks to 2x 10 - I dont see the value in a unit size of 20. Its too big for screen and too few to really deal any kind of damage. If it isn't dealing damage, it wont really threaten objectives.

With the downsized units of Skinks I would grab a Skink Priest to give them Bastiladons +1 to hit.

5. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Agreed on CP matter. To make TQTH work, you want Kroak, non-caster skink warlord with Master of Star Rituals and Aetherquartz brooch. You have to spend at least 3 CP on each bastiladon, to make it good: Volley Fire, Herald of the Old Ones and Trove of the Old One Technology. I think, they are comparable to the old TQ bastiladons in this way, or even better.

That's why you want Priest over Starpriest in this case. Starpriest is always handy, but priest is a must. You can straight up drop geminids for it. I'd also drop guard for 10 more skinks and make them 40-10-10. With starpriest's venom they are very dangerous even outside of FoS with 80-shot volley and create additional pressure. This way you saturate your opponent with threats - Skinks, Bastiladons and salamanders. You may apply defensive buffs on the units which are vulnerable at the moment.

Valdis16, LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

The dino are too easy to kill and require to many resources to be tied up in them. Sadly Skinks, Salamanders, Terradons, & Saurus Warriors are much more efficient units.

Valdis16 likes this.
  7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

you are aware that the Prime warbeast on the EOTG will only give you 1 extra javelin attack right? the current way the warscroll is worded the crew is the mount.. and there is no hero rider... so the Steg is the hero. its in a weird spot that will definitely require FAQ.

Valdis16 and LizardWizard like this.
  8. Valdis16
    Skink

Valdis16 New Member

Well yeah, Aetherquartz Brooch is really usefull, I had already forgotten the Thunder lizard command ability, which is in fact, why I included 2 bastilodons in my list... So Yeah,the brooch is pretty important ^^'.

I wanted 20 skins for the swarming Cohort ability which I thought would be quite strong, but probably that if you really want the ability to shine you need 40 skinks (?).
    Anyway, I think you are definitly right about the Skink Priest, I need it for the +1 hit, I probably drop the Starpriest or the 20 Skinks !

Alright, thank you for the advise on the CPs ! I have to admit, I was not aware of the "Volley Fire" command ability... Which is good to know (I have still much to learn, I am starting but you probably noticed :D)
    Speaking about the guards, even though I really love the unit, I'll consider dropping them for more skinks, the 40-10-10 skinks seems pretty solid !

You must be right ! I'll probably make others armies based around these units, but for the moment I am still in love with big dinos, especially if the shoot beams.

Oh... well, damn, I was absolutely not aware of that, thank you for pointing that out... I hope they will change that, I mean, it doesn't look to make any sense the way it is. But for now, do you think it is that much of a deal ? It seems pretty annoying, don't get my wrong, but enough that I should make a big change ?

P.S. Thank you all for your answers and sorry for the late response

Nart, LizardWizard and Grotpunter like this.
  9. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

If the Steg/Chief can be taken with the TQ in place of the EOTG, I believe it to be worth the change. it costs 10 more points, but you have 20 to spare.

Valdis16 and LizardWizard like this.
  10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Agreed. The Steggadon Chief does a lot for the army. Getting +1 attack to any thing skink keyword is awesome.

Valdis16 likes this.
  11. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I don't have my book at work but I thought you could use the chief in the hero slot of the TQ now... did I recall correctly or am I blowing smoke?

Valdis16 likes this.
  12. Valdis16
    Skink

Valdis16 New Member

You recall correctly, it reads "1 Engine of the Gods or Stegadon with Skink Chief" !

ILKAIN likes this.
  13. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

def make that change then. prime warbeast on a Chiefadon will give you one 4 extra attacks. (1 stomp, 1 jaw, 1 horn AND 1 for the bow or flamers) and if it has flamers you count the model count TWICE for attacks. we already hashed it out on another thread, the flamers have an attack characteristic now and benefit as Crew(mount) for the extra attack.

Valdis16 likes this.
  14. Valdis16
    Skink

Valdis16 New Member

Ok, nice, I will make that change to the list, it really seems better !

15. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

You will struggle to fully buff the two units of 20 skinks and they will lose the ability after losing 5 models, which is pretty easy. You can easily stack offensive and defensive buffs on single unit and it will shoot twice only after losing 25 models. And even 30 shots with Starvenom can hurt. I can post my perfect dual bastiladon Thunderquake, which I am going to run.

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Thunder Lizard
    Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Engine of the Gods (260)
    - Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    - Spell: Celestial Harmony
    Skink Priest (70)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Master of Star Rituals

Battleline
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon: Solar Engine
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon: Solar Engine

Battalions
    Thunderquake Temple-host (150)

Total: 1960 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 125

You have 3 threats that you cannot ignore - two bastiladons, salamanders and skink blob. Kroak is here not for pure damage, but to support with infinite unbinds and support - you can shift spell on him at will, depending on the situation. Last 40 points could be conservated for a chance of triumph (you really want result 1 or 2, but all other results may be handy too, only 5 is kind of meh) or for endless spell - votex for Kroak or Bound Burning Head for additional reroll of 1's.

The main weakness, of course, is a single priest, which is very important because of +1 to-hit. But even if he is sniped, the list will not instantly crumble. Also, you cannot spread out too much, because untis will lose buffs.

Valdis16 likes this.
  16. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

whew... that's a haughty opinion…"perfect TQ list" lol. just teasing.

Valdis16 likes this.
  17. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Alladin the Paladin Well-Known Member

I like this.. you get a free CP worth of +1 to hit, which is better than Prime Warbeast in this case.

Valdis16 likes this.
  18. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

They keyword is MY. :D

Valdis16 likes this.
  19. Valdis16
    Skink

Valdis16 New Member

Thank you for sharing your list !

I have to admit, it looks really strong ! I'll see if I'll still try the chiefadon with prime warbeast, or not, because I really like your idea.