1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. a few questions

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by vaalnn, Jun 1, 2010.

1. vaalnn
    Skink

vaalnn New Member

Last night I had a 2250 point battle against High Elves, me and some friends have just got back into fantasy so we're still a little shakey on some of the rules, but heres a few things we weren't sure about, any help much appreciated.

1. The high elf player took 3 mages and joined them to units of archers. My scar vet gets into combat with the archer+mage unit and issues a challenge. His response was to decline with the mage, and to put the mage to the back of the unit, as the rule book suggests. But this means that the mage is fine to cast by the next high elf magic phase. If I'm in close combat am I able to direct attacks at the mage even though hes refused the challenge? If not, how do you guys take out characters that are in larger units with no intention of ever getting into combat?

2. Can you march + shoot/cast magic, if not, what if your caster/shooter is mounted? Are you then allowed to march and shoot/cast.

Cheers

2. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

1) Just don't challenge, direct your attacks at the character! :) If he refused the challenge you can pick a character that could have accepted and move him to a non fighting rank.

2) Unless you're fast cavalry or it says specifically in your description, no-one can march and shoot. Marching and casting magic is no problem whatsoever ;)

hope that helps

3. vaalnn
    Skink

vaalnn New Member

That helps a lot, cheers Wolf.

I feel very bitter about loosing the game last night. My Lizzie horde were positioned perfectly, they'd withstood the 50+ arrows per turn, and my opponents 18 (yes 18!) power dice, making it within charge range of his army. Then things took a massively unfortunate turn, my slann miscast, I rolled a 1 for cupped hands, then the dreaded numero 4 on the miscast table. I lost 10 temple guard, my slann and the remaining TG couldn't take the charge from his few remaining swordmasters and my general was killed. If it wasn't for the miscast I would have scored at least a victory, maybe a massacre.

4. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

You can also march ans shoot if your skirmishers! (usual -1 to hit penalty)
    You can target any model in a unit provided one of your models is in base to base contact, so if he refuses a challenge you could flank or rear charge the unit!

5. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

I believe you're wrong on that account mate, no unit can march and shoot unless it says so specifically. I just looked it up to be sure and couldn't find such a rule under skirmishers, could be I read over it though...

6. jmg101
    Saurus

jmg101 New Member

i believe in 6th ed skirmishers to march and do crazy things but not in 7th.

on the challenges read that section again very closely. you will find that if you challenge and he declines you get to choose who gets to move to the back. im pretty confident that is what to book says, i dont currently have it in front of me.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Skirmishers can't march and shoot, all that can now is fast cavalry as a general rule... In 8th it is rumoured skirmishers will again be able to march and shoot.

8. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

True, but the character that is moved had to be able to accept the challenge, so if you're only in base to base contact with a mage and two archers and he declines the challenge then the mage would have to move as he's the only one who could have accepted.

9. vaalnn
    Skink

vaalnn New Member

Ok so skirmishers can't march and shoot, what about flyers? ie - terradons.

10. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

They don't technically march so yes they can move their full 20" flight move and still shoot.

If for any reason they are forced to move using their ground movement then they would not be allowed to march and shoot either as they are not fast cavalry.

11. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

Woops!
    Just checked the section on Skirmishers and they can't shoot after marching (DOH!)
    My friends aren't going to be too happy when I tell them!
    Skinkes aren't quite as good as I thought.

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Just wait another month for 8th edition, they will be able to march and shoot again.

AND it now seems blowpipes won't have a move and shoot penalty in the new edition and will always be able to stand and shoot.