1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Accessing Official Fluff

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Dog On Todd, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Hey guys,

So all of this EoT stuff has me reminiscing on how much I got into this game because of the fluff (specifically Lizardmen).

Is the majority (entirety?) of lizzie fluff in the army books? Is there any reason to collect older versions of the army books if I like reading it? Or does the 7th book encompass the story from the 6th book which does the same for the 5th? My understanding is that this current version of Lizardmen was realized in 5th edition.

Are there black library novels essential to furthering the Lizardmen narrative?

Were there issues of WD that had short stories etc?

This EoT Thanquol book is the first warhammer book I am considering buying, but I would like to have the whole story. My knowledge is purely from the sidebar stories in 6th and 7th army books.

Thanks for your help!

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The 5th edition book has full short stories in it. There are separate accounts of explorers trekking through Lustria and/or the Southlands. One from Cathay, one from Araby, and one from Tilea. The fluff in the 6th, 7th, and 8th edition books are pretty similar except each one mentions the Southlands less than the predecessor.

My knowledge about WHF novels with Lizardmen is pretty limited. I am pretty sure the pool of novels that concern the Lizardmen are pretty small. They are generally Empire/Ulthuan centered.

3. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Sounds like I want to get my hands on the 5th edition book then!

Temple of the Serpent and the Burning Shore were two Black Library books that were recommended to me as well.

Did storm of magic have a similar story arc as we are seeing in the EoT?

4. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

One of the Gotrek and Felix novels (I think Giantslayer) features the Path of the Old Ones, a Lizardmen temple in Albion infested by Chaos and some dead Slann but no actual Lizardmen. Other than that all the official fluff I've read is from the 6th and 7th ed armybooks.

5. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Update:

5th is proving difficult to find on ebay, and the Thanquol book is 100 *bleeping* dollars!! I get that there are rules additions, but that is even more expensive than the new hardcover army books. Can't justify paying that much for a bit of lizzie backstory. Hopefully I can buy a used one.

6. Overlord of Serpents
    Cold One

Overlord of Serpents Active Member

Thanquol is by far the largest book involving Lizardmen outside of our own army books. There's a fun short story (in two parts) that's super cheap on the Black Library website that's about some Dwarf explorers in a temple city. Burning Shore does indeed have Lizardmen, but they're represented REALLY bad, I wouldn't recommend reading it as it portrays the skinks and saurus as weird man-eating torture enthusiasts and the slann featured in that book is an idiot.

Temple of the Serpent is an EXCELLENT book for Lizardmen, probably the best story out there. Extremely well written and really shows nicely the strained relationship the Slann had with the servants of Sotek.