1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog (Active)Project: The emerald host of Qua'phar

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lord-Marcus, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Hey guys.

New birthday, return/reinvention of a project. I have an excess of the new Empires of dust plastics from mantic, and no active undead project on my list.

If any of you remember WHFB of yore, you'll be familiar with Quatar, the necropolis city of the tomb kings on the western side of the valley of kings.

My first tomb kings army 8-9 years ago was themed around this city, as it was described a city of marble and alabaster.

Over the years since I painted that force, i morphed the army's lore to fit different ideas I had. Ive finally settled on a city rich in emerald mines.

I figured since I just turned 30, it was worth it to give this project a shot again.

I'm going to be building and painting this Army based for kings of War to be used for empires of dust.

This is actually version 2 of this color scheme, which incorporates a darker main green, and metallics.

Your thoughts and suggestions are requested as I am not happy with this scheme yet and would like to know what others think.

PXL_20221128_030941082~2.jpg PXL_20221128_031006058~2.jpg

2. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Wow, what a nice minis. I missed this whole range.
    I like your color scheme, but if you are looking for suggestions, you might add silver to some details like blades and raised rims of shields to break monotony of scheme a bit.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

[​IMG]

Great to see a Tomb Kings project emerge onto the scene, and that you've finally dived into what I think is a solid tribute from Mantic to the glory of Nehekhara! And many happy returns for reaching the big 30!

To be honest I can't see anything wrong with your paint scheme, all the greens fit nicely with the gold. The only thing I can think of would be to incorporate some of the dark green of the clothing onto the lower shield panels and, if possible, on the helmets, as that would tie the metallics in with the clothing better.

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep, they are looking great, but probably they need to avoid excessive gold/bronze.
    Maybe just go for metal blades?

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

See I'm not sure. Part of the helmets look metal, and the greaves are obviously meant to evoke Greek/macedonian greaves which were one piece bronze with strapping, normally.

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Love that Settra art, where is that from?

Thank you for the birthday wishes.

I will incorporate more green into the helmets to break them up a bit.

7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Building some spearmen infantry tonight. This unit can also count as having the blessing of the gods artifact, as I'm using it as a testbed for my revenant conversions

Shown here with and without shield:

PXL_20221201_005400619~2.jpg PXL_20221201_005029618~2.jpg

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

One of the primary things I never thought could be done justice, in any shape or fashion, was a kings cavalry army.

It wasn't viable in WHFB. At all. Always overshadowed by chariots.

Tomb kings don't exist in AoS.

I still can't do it. Because with mantic's Empires of dust line, the ONLY commoner skeleton unit on horseback is an irregular unit (skeleton archers cavalry). Meaning there are restrictions on the number that can be taken.

The melee cav are revenants. Meaning tomb guard or elite units. They are a regular unit though, which means you can take as many as you want. Which doesn't make sense lorewise/logistically speaking unless the king in question would be rich enough to full-armor and mount thousands of cavalry

So, to the desert sands I cast the rules. I'm making my own army, with a "commoner" cavalry brigade and courtesans!

Behold:

PXL_20221202_211040561~2.jpg

This conversion is also convenient, because it cannibalizes the skeleton warriors parts leftover from making revenant Infantry conversions

9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Proof of 10 finished skeleton warriors with spears

PXL_20221211_185926141~2.jpg

Imrahil, Explodingzeb and JTSleep like this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Shame they're naked with no Egyptian clothing to speak of (i.e. not Egyptian enough), otherwise keep it coming!

11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I actually prefer naked undead. My first exposure to a skeleton army was the art from the old massive-fisted vampire counts skellies.

Which was this:

[​IMG]

https://www.google.com/search?clien...biw=393&bih=722&dpr=2.75#imgrc=n2LlEGZi2B3FDM

No cloth. Very little leather and only really metal remains.

Which also makes sense for tomb legions mass-buried in pits. Their corpses would be feasts for desert creatures, same with the fabric of their clothes

Imrahil likes this.
  12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lots of things to prime.

PXL_20221220_035002688~2.jpg