1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Advice for a novice

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Idraxus, Sep 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Idraxus
    Jungle Swarm

Idraxus New Member

Hello everyone ! I am a skink who has a few moons on me, today I would like to ask you for some advice to introduce me to AOS, with this fantastic faction!
    I recently got my first Start Collecting Skinks (along with what in theory I should use to assemble it), but I'm a little confused about how to evolve my Serapho collection (and consequently my army) over time. As for the games I think I will start from 750 points and then move on to 1000 etc ...
    Which boxes should I prioritize?

2. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Do you want more skinks or more dinos?

Idraxus likes this.
  3. Idraxus
    Jungle Swarm

Idraxus New Member

Honestly I'm not very sure about it, I've seen some videos of Caleb and considering my purchase I would be more oriented towards skinks, but I noticed that some play "mixed" armies.

4. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

So here's the thing bastis are our best Behemoth plain and simple. Get another start collecting Skink box. And get a slann. Your next focus after that should be your next big decision. Starborne or coalesed? If coalesed get a stegadon or 2 and then get the star collecting saurus box with a carnosaur(or trog if you're feeling froggy) and in between those keystone purchases I listed get a statseer a couple priests and a starpriest. Starborne I'd probably ask @Putzfrau or @LizardWizard they have much better knowledge

Cuetzpal Pilli, Putzfrau and Idraxus like this.
  5. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Pretty much nailed it.

I would decide where you wanna lean: monsters saurus or skinks (at least initially).

Personally I'm always of the opinion to build a collection and make a list from that vs build a list and just buying that.

The skink and saurus start collecting are both super clutch. Great value and can even be doubled up on without wasting a bunch of units.

If you want monsters just buy stegs. You'll probably want 4 of them.

For general list building you need to start upping your hero count. Grab kroak or a slann. Get a box of saurus guard to go with it. Make sure you have enough Skink heroes for a priest and Starpriest (these can be made from extra bits in certain start collecting boxes and their are great resources on this forum of how to get the most out of them). Probably want another box of skinks (or a second start collecting) just to make sure you can build a unit of 30 if you want to go that route. I'd probably get a steg or two just because the kit is awesome and between the engine, chief, and regular steg there's a lot of flexibility.

But really, the book has a lot of flexibility. I'd let the rule of cool drive you for now until you get settled in on what units you like the feel of.

6. Idraxus
    Jungle Swarm

Idraxus New Member

I am currently waiting for the battletome to arrive so I still don't know the difference between the two factions, but thanks a lot for the advice, a Slann and another start collecting skink would actually be a big hand

7. Idraxus
    Jungle Swarm

Idraxus New Member

I fully agree, little by little he built my collection and as I text maybe then I decide what to focus my army on; so you personally recommend taking the two start collecting first and then deciding what to base on .... this doesn't seem like a bad idea either, thank you very much!

8. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

I'd say once you get the 2nd start collecting skinks box that's when you put em together and paint the lads. Don't let em back up like I did

Idraxus likes this.
  9. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

[
    I'd take a peek at the book and see what units appeal to you more/like the look of more before diving into any more purchases outside of the slann... you'll want one of those no matter what. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of overlapping synergies. Things either benefit saurus or skink keyword so I'd probably start in one lane and then branch out to the other as you build up your collection but you do you. It's a hobby first and foremost so let that lead you.

Just A Skink and Idraxus like this.
  10. Idraxus
    Jungle Swarm

Idraxus New Member

I think it is the best choice to make in such a way as not to move blindly, but honestly I am considering the idea of taking the second start collecting skinks (because anyway skinks, bastilladon and stapriest are used in most of the lists anyway), I like slann a lot, but I have to see if it's worth it to include it in 750 matches (where materially I only own what's in the start collecting skinks besides him).

Putzfrau likes this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria!

probably you're already aware of this thread, but just in case you weren't. ;)

Idraxus likes this.
  12. Idraxus
    Jungle Swarm

Idraxus New Member

A thousand thanks! it is a very well done guide and it will surely come in handy
    (But I still haven't decided what to take after SC Skinks)

Killer Angel likes this.