1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Advice on First Army List

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by RelicGod, Jan 13, 2023.

1. RelicGod
    Jungle Swarm

RelicGod New Member

Hey all! I'm new to both the game and Seraphon. Finally bought my first Get Started Box: Saurus. I posted here a couple weeks ago but no one answered haha, probably on account of me posting three lists and asking for advice. I've narrowed it down to one list and a style of play I think I'll enjoy based on watching some battle reports.

I really like the idea of being able to dominate with spells, but also have a meaty army. Plus I have no desire to paint 90x skinks.

One thing I am considering though is reinforcing Warriors instead of Knights to benefit from the group tactics. Not sure which is better, as I am aware that Warriors aren't the best units. Also curious if I should use the clubs or spears on the Warriors we I'm starting to put them together now.

Looking for any advice or just to talk about how y'all think this list will perform!

- Army Faction: Seraphon
    - Army Type: Coalesced
    - Subfaction: Thunder Lizard
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumph: Inspired
    LEADERS
    Lord Kroak (450)*
    - Spells: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)*
    Skink Oracle on Troglodon (250)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Prime Warbeast
    - Artefacts of Power: Cloak of Feathers
    - Mount Traits: Beastmaster
    - Spells: Hand of Glory
    Skink Starpriest (140)*
    - Spells: Hand of Glory
    Engine of the Gods (230)**
    - Artefacts of Power: Fusil of Conflagration
    - Prayers: Heal
    BATTLELINE
    Saurus Guard (120)*
    Saurus Knights (220)**
    - Stardrake Icon Bearer
    - Wardrummer
    - Celestite Warspear and Powerful Jaws
    Saurus Warriors (100)**
    - Celestite Club and Powerful Jaws
    BEHEMOTH
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine (260)**
    CORE BATTALIONS
    *Warlord
    **Battle Regiment
    TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000
    Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Hi @RelicGod. An interesting army. The new point changes look to make it more of a challenge to build good lists.

I'd consider making the EotG your general and give it the Beastmaster mount trait. The EotG is generally more versatile, more combat-capable, and more likely to be centralized (to issue commands, chant prayers, use the Engine) than the Troglodon. The Troglodon often ends up closer to the enemy to maximize Kroak's spell range.

You could consider the Incandescent Rectrices artifact on the Troglodon. It might keep the Trog alive a bit longer b/c I think it will become a target to reduce Kroak's effectiveness. But, the Cloak is good. Alternatively, you could give the Arcane Tome to the EotG to make it an "arcane vassal" for Kroak as well, giving you two big casting platforms. It's VERY likely you'll be keeping Kroak within 12" of the EotG already, to give you Engine rolling options.

Depending on how you want to use the EotG, I'd consider the Curse prayer. I've found that I often roll healing with just a 2d6 roll on the Engine.

I know you want casting power, but you might have enough with just Kroak & the Trog (or Kroak, Trog and EotG with the Arcane Tome). Consider the Skink Priest to buff the Bastiladon.

I think you should split up your unit of Knights into two units of 5-Knights each, just to cover a bit more of the battlefield.

Currently, clubs are probably better for Warriors, so I would build them that way. But, who knows when the new book comes out?

I like either Expert Conquerors or Bounty Hunters battalions over Battle Regiment, but that's just me.

Here is a test list I built to see what you think:
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Thunder Lizard
    - Grand Strategy: Defend What's Ours
    - Triumphs:

Leaders
    Engine of the Gods (300)
    - General
    - Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
    - Mount Trait: Beastmaster
    - Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
    - Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse
    Lord Kroak (450)**
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)**
    Skink Oracle on Troglodon (250)
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    - Spell: Hand of Glory
    Skink Priest (120)**

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (120)***
    5 x Saurus Knights (110)*
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (110)*
    - Lances
    10 x Skinks (80)***
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers

Behemoths
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine (260)

Endless Spells & Invocations
    The Burning Head (30) or cheap Endless Spell of your choice

Core Battalions
    *Bounty Hunters
    **Command Entourage - Magnificent
    ***Expert Conquerors

Additional Enhancements
    Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 100
    Drops: 10

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  3. RelicGod
    Jungle Swarm

RelicGod New Member

Thanks so much @Just A Skink! I quite like the idea of using the EoTG as a general, and subbing the Star Priest for a regular Priest. I'm hot and cold on adding the Arcane Tome. Love the idea, but also flying Troglodon. The revamped list is very nice though. I originally had Skinks in there instead of Warriors, but felt like it could be beneficial to have the Warriors as they benefit from the Coalesced buffs, although I can summon them with EoTG.

Just A Skink likes this.
  4. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Here are some other things that jumped to my mind when looking at the list.

I think your main strengths will come from Kroak's magic, the Bastiladon's shooting, and then probably the Engine's flexibility. Your melee strength will come from the Knights and the EotG. Your Warriors will be more screen than melee powerhouse. Guard are basically a Slann tax. The Troglodon is really more of support for Kroak. In my experience, the Trog isn't that impressive in combat. It might be able to win against a weak or basic unit.

Things to keep in mind
    You can't re-roll Kroak's casting (without an expensive Endless Spell). He has a decent number of spells, and if you roll a "2" he's done for that hero phase. I mean, you're not going to roll a "2" THAT often, but it will hurt especially if rolled early in Kroak's casting. That said, when you feel you're in a position to use all of Kroak's damage casting, come out swinging.

You will probably have to load up buffs on one unit of Knights, or the EotG, and position for a charge before getting charged. Our buffed Knights can hit hard, but may not necessarily have staying power depending on what army you're fighting. The EotG can actually do well in combat with buffs and a bit of healing from the Engine itself. Neither of these units can really stand up to something like a Zombie Dragon for multiple rounds.

The Bastiladon is your only viable ranged combat. The reason I suggest you to consider a Skink Priest over a Starpriest (even though the Serpent Staff is CRAZY good) is that the Priest has an individual command ability to give +1 to a Skink unit (the Basty in this case). That will help the Bastiladon land his decent range damage, while still being able to issue All Out Attack to another melee unit. But the Starpriest has a good staff ability and solid spell options, so I understand if you keep him. Either way, keep a hero within range to issue commands, so you can double tap the Bastiladon.

5. LazyGoldfish
    Jungle Swarm

LazyGoldfish New Member

I really like the list you made @Just A Skink looks like a lot of fun and has been something I’ve been interested as well. How could this list adapt to the new GHB rules? I’ve also been interested in running a fangs of sotek list with the new rules but I am not familiar on what a list could look like for it.