1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Cold One Thread

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by EnduringFrost, Mar 2, 2022.

1. EnduringFrost
    Jungle Swarm

EnduringFrost New Member

To start, I think Cold Ones are pretty bad looking models like most, but I actually quite like the rider. My preferred method of fixing them would naturally be to put in drakespawn (or the Dark Elf Cold Ones if you are from fantasy) as replacement models, but doing that for all of them would be pretty expensive. Not only did I grab the original start collecting box from Fantasy, but with the price difference from the new Start Collecting box to the Carnosaur model, its insane to buy the single model. Long story short, I have 33 cold ones I would need to convert, or the equivalent of buying 7 Drakespawn knight sets for around about $230.

As trying many different methods to avoid the Cold Ones have been done, I wanted to see if anyone had tried using these 3D printed models in place of them. (https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/reptile-people-dinosaur-mounts) They were designed specifically with the idea that the current riders could fit astride them. While they are an upgrade from whatever you want to call our current option, I am not quite convinced. Instead of being fearsome raptors, they are more like a shrunk down T-rex to me? But, I wanted to check into the big wide Lustria Lexicon and see if anyone had tried using this option and how they turned out?

While they are definitely an option and pretty cheap in comparison, the attached look pretty dang good.

View attachment 109567 View attachment 109568 View attachment 109569 View attachment 109570 View attachment 109571 View attachment 109567 View attachment 109568 View attachment 109569 View attachment 109570 View attachment 109571

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome along in this our jungle!

Dang that is a lot of Saurus Knights :eek:
    I have in no way experience in 3D-printing so no help there.

Your images are not showing, I think this is because this is your first post and to prevent spamming there is a post count after which you can add images to your posts.
    Might I suggest the Introduction forum to start with

Good luck and I hope to get a look at those images soon ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Izla and Bowser like this.
  3. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

Welcome to Lustria!

Unfortunately, I've not done any 3D printing so can't help there but I am interested in your experiences if you have printed before and would like to see what other people think!

That said, I do have a soft spot for our chunky cold ones - I may be the only one!

4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Welcome to Jurassic Park @EnduringFrost !!!

For some reason I can't see the attachments, but I'll look out for further posts on this thread!

5. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

They look decent to me.

The problem I see with replacing them with 3rd party or DE ones is that they look out of place and don't really fit the rest of the army... you can tell they are from a different game.

6. EnduringFrost
    Jungle Swarm

EnduringFrost New Member

Hey guys! Sorry about the pictures, they originally double posted and when I tried to edit the post to clear the repeats, they all disappeared. The other photos I had tried to link were below. They are definitely more of an advocate to purchase drakespawn kits, so I guess the main question is if you guys think that the 3D printed models are anywhere close to this or even could be. I agree with BigDinosaur though, 3D printed models as an alternative seem good, but the aesthetic might be startling different. What have you guys done for your cold ones? Have you just enjoyed the model and kept them? Made conversions like the stuff below? Or just found completely different proxy models to use? Thanks guys!
    n0hbjg2jr0i41.jpg B-CO-P1-1200x741.jpg 7538-4d84434f9b2baac013395e172d9c0759.jpg 11224-b7fa72972efac20a54fe7340cc107a86.jpg FDWaBYuXIAAYEPC.jpg

Izla, Lizards of Renown and Bowser like this.
  7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Nice paint jobs! :)

I think it is totally fine to use other models. In the entire continent of Lustria there are surely, surely many species of Cold Ones which would have adapted in different ways to the surrounds.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

knave, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  8. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

If you keep the GW Saurus Knights, then Drakespawn are a strong front runner. Being plastic, they're easier to convert and our riders can be glued right to them. But, they are slimmer than our Cold Ones, so either their backs or the underside of the Saurus saddles may need something like Green Stuff to seat properly. You can attach the Saurus right to Drakespawn, but just know that there will be some gaps. Of course, as you mention, it sort of stings to spend MORE money to use a model you technically already have.

I looked at the mounts from Cults3D a while ago and came to the same conclusion; they're good, but look a bit too much like a shrunk down t-rex. Too bad, b/c it's a decent model and good idea.

Personally, I think One Page Rules has the next closest look with their Raptor Riders. You might be able to get (or print, if you have a resin printer) just the Raptors and use GW Saurus Knights, but I don't know about the fit. However, the whole OPR model, rider and mount, is cool and I think they match current GW Seraphon pretty well (since they look influenced by the Warhammer: Total War video game). They are a bit more dynamically posed though.
    [​IMG]

I kind of like the mounts from Print My Minis, but they are bare (no cool accessories on the mounts). The riders are good too, but may not match as well. I have one of the mounts, and at the size the vendor printed (which I assume is 100%) it's just a bit too big for my GW Saurus to fit flush.
    [​IMG]

There are several other companies who make cool Lizardmen/Seraphon Knight proxies. Lost Kingdom, Raven Twin, Last Sword, and Titan-Forge spring to mind. Unfortunately, there's probably not going to be that cheap of way out of the conversion, unless you have a 3D resin printer. Good luck!

9. MikkelangeloHD
    Skink

MikkelangeloHD Member

I am going for a mishmash of both 3d printed and GW kits. My riders will be the One Page Rule saurus and they will be riding the Drakespawn Knight Cold Ones. I do find it kinda dissapointing as a Total War Warhammer fan that there are no Horned Ones mini's available (except for the ancient metal ones that are not in production anymore) so I will 3d print them myself. There are a ton 3d print files of cool raptor like creatures that can be used as Cold Ones available. The Horned Ones I will be using are uploaded by lucathehunter on Cults3D: upload_2022-3-9_18-30-49.png

10. Imrahil
    Slann

Those Cold Ones look awesome, the riders a bit less.
    Do you know how the Saurus Knights fit on these?

Grrr, Imrahil

Just A Skink and Bowser like this.
  11. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I'm afraid I don't know. I don't have any of the models from OPR.

Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

The OPR ones have my vote. They look great. I also think the Print My Minis ones are great, but OPR will fit with the GW army in my opinion.

Imrahil, Just A Skink and Bowser like this.
  13. Imrahil
    Slann

Exactly this

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser likes this.
  14. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Gauntlet Well-Known Member

PXL_20220121_011402853.jpg

I'm surprised no one mentioned Lost Kingdom Miniatures. I went with them, but hybridized with OPR tail and heads. Quite happy with the results, but it was a good amount of work.

Also in case it matters, these are 90mm bases (My Saurus are big, and I didn't scale riders down to make this easier, and instead decided I was okay with Saurus Cav being massive for personal use.)

Highly recommend the OPR model, you get some good bits off it. I use the tail scaled down for Saurus and scaled up for Carnosaurs too.

15. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

They look great and particularly intimidating! How big are the riders compared to normal saurus? If they're on 90mm base, feels like they're going to be pretty big! Great job.

Just got to get myself a resin printer now...

16. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I think the riders are actually fairly close to GW saurus, but probably still a little bigger. The mounts are much bigger. Check out this video at about 6:24.

17. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

Nice video find, thank you! They look huge compared to the originals!

Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  18. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Hi. What questions do you have regarding 3d printing?

19. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

Not sure if this was for me or not, but thank you anyway!

How easy is it to get started for a total beginner?

Is it "worth" it instead of buying models or better to consider it as another hobby?

I always see things about 3D printing technology advancing and wondering whether it is worth waiting for prices to reduce or to bite the bullet?

Apart from the 3D printer itself, what other accessories are needed (apart from safety equipment etc), e.g. curing stations etc?

Thank you in advance!

Bowser likes this.
  20. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning