1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age AOS to be overtaken by TOW?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Tombomb7, Jul 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

frankly, no update at all to fix the few but obviously wrong things in a whole edition, is a crappy way to handle a system.
    I thing that 1 update/year should be fine.

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Scary.

For me this would only work if the ORIGINAL DESIGNERS did the updates. Getting another team of people to do this is asking for mass errors.

You'd have to do a long, long, LONG data collection evolution to really ensure whatever changes you are making are actually needed. I think the data collection alone should be done over a 2-3 year period to really make sure you've isolated the points that need to be handled.

But that's just me and the viewpoint of a gamer. I realize it doesn't make more money that way.

It would have to be a "labour of love". Anything else would just introduce unhelpful arbitrary rules that would hamper gameplay or create a situation where power creep goes one way and then the other.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think the army book release schedule (in terms of timing, not in terms of completion) was pretty good in 8th. I would have preferred it to be a smidge faster so that all the books could be comfortably released within a five year window, but it was at least in the ballpark. The FAQ support on the other hand, was definitely lacking. I think issues that arose out of the army books should have been addressed in a timely manner. It's a pretty low effort/cost fix on the part of GW and it would show that they are putting in effort towards producing a smooth game. The fact that things like "predatory fighter" went undressed is appalling on the part of GW. I don't want points shifted regularly, but fixing errors (errata) or clarifying existing rules (faq) consistently would have been awesome.

4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

+1

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. SnowMan
    Saurus

SnowMan Active Member

The real solution is not to have multiple army books but to have them all in one

but then that breaks the horrid cash cycle you know damn well they will get to the 8th book then it will be version 2 of TOW time with a new flavour of the month army book and half the units you used to use being no longer viable or needed

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yes, that's pretty much what i was thinking.
    Battletomes release was slow in WHFB and so is in AoS, with years between a tome and armies that inevitably fall back to new releases.
    That's how it works, we cannot hope in a simultaneous release.

But FAQ should be a different matter, both to address unclear iterations between different books' rules AND to fix broken rules (if we want to stay on 8th, i would point to the cannonball that hits both the mount AND the rider)

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That does have certain advantages, but if I'm honest, I do like the feeling of having an army specific book. However, your idea is intriguing and would certainly save a lot of money.

8. SnowMan
    Saurus

SnowMan Active Member

it can still be refreshed it works for KOW

the trick of a decent rank and file game is not to have 5000 extra rules to many and its broken beyond repair and everygame starts with what does that do

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

There are definitely proponents of that game system.

There are a few games that take that approach, but WFB (and GW in general) are not among them. Maybe something along the lines of One Page Rules would better fit what your looking for. Trying to make WFB fit that mold would require a 100% rework of the game.

10. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I never got to play WHFB, but I was sad I missed out on it. I like AoS, but the constant updates and deliberate meta-shifting make it hard to keep up interest sometimes. I would love to play TOW with my Seraphon/Lizardmen when it comes out, but I definitely don't think it will phase out AoS, especially if the rumors about it being a Forgeworld game like Horus Heresy are true.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You really missed out on a great game. Right @Lizards of Renown ?

12. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I used to go to game stores somewhat regularly as I got into D&D at a pretty young age. I always saw the Warhammer minis for sale, and saw people playing the game in the store sometimes. My brother got really into 40k a few years later, so I also looked into the franchise. I found that while it was cool, I liked the fantasy version a lot better, and was immediately drawn to the lore of the Lizardmen. But I had no money at the time, and was a bit intimidated by the unassembled silver metal models as I was definitely not artistically inclined. So I researched a lot about the Lizardmen and loved characters like Kroq-Gar, Nakai, Gor-Rok, Mazdamundi and Lord Kroak. And of course learned about the other factions and their lore as well. But never really got into it. I did get a Tehenhauin model from the store's random "painted models for sale" shelf, which I still have to this day, but never got to play the game.

Then when Total War: Warhammer came out, my interest in the setting was reignited. While the first game didn't have the LIzardmen, it was still cool to have a fantasy Total War game as opposed to the Rome and Medieval versions. When it was announced that game two would have the Lizardmen (and their mortal rat enemies) as some of the main races, I was really excited. After playing that game for a while I looked up Warhammer again and found that the Fantasy setting was unfortunately discontinued and replaced with Age of Sigmar, but the Lizardmen had managed to survive (mostly) as the same faction from the original setting. So I looked at the models and found that a lot of them had been updated and most looked really cool! Of course, the dinosaurs were my favorite, especially the Carnosaur and Troglodon. I started looking through Ebay and bought an already painted Troglodon model because it looked extremely cool and I figured it would be fun to have it for my desk. And the rest, as they say, is history. I now have way too many Lizardmen models and have also gotten some Idoneth, Gitz, and Stormcast.

But if TOW ends up being a good game, I don't think it would make me abandon AoS entirely, but I will definitely try and play it! Hopefully I don't have to re-base my entire army, lol!

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It was a pretty strange time for them to discontinue WFB with Total War: Warhammer released fairly close after. I'm sure you're not the only one that played total war and then looked to the tabletop only to find that its physical counterpart had been discontinued.

That's the tricky part. Old school WFB players will want to play with squares, so one group or the other may be left disappointed. Perhaps GW can come up with some sort of system to make both work, but the size discrepancy between the two (most AoS models are based on larger rounds than their square WFB equivalents) might make that awkward.

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Damn straight buddy.

@Kilvakar honestly you could probably find people who play 8th near you by going on the Eighth Edition for Life forum.

If you PM me I can help you find rulebooks.

Honestly, if you get movement trays then it doesn't matter that much about rebasing as the units footprint will still be square.

Always willing to help someone find their way to the True Path of Warhammer Fantasty! :D

NIGHTBRINGER and Kilvakar like this.
  15. SnowMan
    Saurus

SnowMan Active Member

6th is a big thing in my part of the world now

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Well I'm glad some kind of WFB is being played. Nice one.

17. SnowMan
    Saurus

SnowMan Active Member

facebook groups

warhammer fantasy battle 6th edition

and a Norfolk and Suffolk group

18. Cristian Lozano
    Skink

Cristian Lozano Member

I have to say that 6th edition is relatively strong in Spain since a few years ago, and the community is quite active and seems to be increasing. It is now relatively common to have tournaments with +30 participants and waiting list to enter, specially in Madrid and Barcelona. A few months ago there was this one in Madrid with 82! participants (you can see some pictures of the tournament here http://www.leyendasenminiatura.com/2023/03/iv-torneo-leyendas-en-miniatura-galeria_01253451435.html or here http://www.leyendasenminiatura.com/2023/03/iv-torneo-leyendas-en-miniatura-galeria.html)

So, I don't think it will replace AOS, but I certainly think that, done right, it can be quite a return for many players and official tournaments and publicity will significantly bring new players as well, specially after the success of the Total War games. I am just afraid that they will keep the absurd AOS prices with 8th numbers, being totally mad for anyone new to start a new army.