1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Armour Saves

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Gary_M, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

Hi, as per my (re) introduction thread, just getting back into 8th Edition, and have a question on Armour Saves.
    I think it was Nightbringer who posted the following in a thread a little while ago:

"Armour saves can vary from 1+ to 6+ (or none at all), but a roll of 1 is always considered a fail.

There is no "AP" in Fantasy, instead the armour save is modified by the strength of the attack wounding the model. The stronger the attack, the worse the armour save becomes (and can be negated if the strength is sufficiently high enough).

Strength 1, 2 or 3 = no modifer
    Strength 4 = -1 to armour save
    Strength 5 = -2 to armour save
    Strength 6 = -3 to armour save
    Strength 7 = -4 to armour save
    Strength 8 = -5 to armour save
    Strength 9 = -6 to armour save
    Strength 10 = -7 to armour save

So for instance, if you have a 2+ armour save and you are wounded by a strength 5 attack, you would roll for a 4+ armour save."

I just wanted to clarify that if possible an AS can be brought to 1+ even though a natural roll of 1 is always a fail?

Also, if its possible, can you have an AS of 0 (again even though a natural 1 is always a fail)?

My son and I have been trying to remember some of the rules and the issue of armour saves was causing some grief!

Thanks for your help!

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Yes you can have an armour save of 1+, but a natural roll of 1 is always considered a failed save. The advantage of a 1+ save over a 2+ save occurs when armour save modifiers (as mentioned above) come into play.

You cannot have an AS of 0 or better in 8th Edition Warhammer (this is a change in comparison to 7th edition where you were able to get saves better than a 1+)

The following rule in the BRB (page 43) clarifies this...

"Note that a model can never have a save (of any kind) better than a 1+ for any reason, and that, even then, a roll of 1 is always a failure."

I should also clarify that there is a special rule called "Armour Piercing" in 8th edition which is often referred to as "AP". However this functions very differently than the AP found in 40k. In 8th edition fantasy, armour piercing confers an additional -1 to the armour save modifier. (BRB page 67)

Hope that helps! :)

Valjeanthebeast and Gary_M like this.
  3. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

@NIGHTBRINGER thank you for clarifying that. It helps immensely. Seems my boy and I were both right and wrong about different things!

Valjeanthebeast and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

No problem. Glad I could be of assistance. :):)

Plus its great having more 8th edition content on here. It's been pretty sparse as of late.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

In 6th and 7th editions it was possible to have an oldblood with an AS of -2 :eek:
    (don't think a 1 was an auto fail either...)

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

An armour save roll 1 was an auto fail even under 7th edition rules (reference: 7th ed. BRB page 30). I never played 6th edition so I can't speak on that regard.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Could just be 6th, mostly you went for the low AS to negate the high strength attacks.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

And it was glorious. Though the +1 armour save cap of 8th edition is probably a very good thing.