1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Seraphon Overview (updated to AoS 3.0)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Killer Angel, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

o sweet, a sensible ruling for once that doesn't needlessly limit player's options.

Dr.Doom, Lizerd, Carnikang and 2 others like this.
  2. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Alladin the Paladin Well-Known Member

I agree, it makes no sense to be arbitrarily restrictive in the sense you are saying. But at least they leave alternatives open if you choose against it

3. Starmaster Flash
    Jungle Swarm

Starmaster Flash New Member

Fun little detail: per the wording on the stegadon, the skinks count as the mount, not the stegadon. So relics actually apply to the stegadon's weapons, making the sacred stegadon helm much more viable.

I'm also thinking about something like ghyrstrike on a stegadon.

Dragvindel, Dr.Doom, Lizerd and 3 others like this.
  4. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Keep in mind most artefacts replace 1 melee profile (like Ghyrstrike), and since the Stegadon has 3 you are likely better off getting one that gives a passive buff to the model rather than replacing one profile.

I don't remember the exact wording, but I believe the Sacred Stegadon Helm is +1 damage to all attacks, not just 1 profile. Essence of Vulcatrix from Aqshy is also a general buff with +1/1, but it only lasts one turn.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Add 1 to save rolls (always) AND 1 to damage made by bearer (only during the charge). The additional dam doesn’t apply to mount’s weapon

6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, the save alone is already absolutly brilliant. It puts him at 2+ baseline against units with less than 5 models.Go stomp some stuff :p

7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

the steg mount rules are perfectly fine. its the EOTG that is wicked weird right now

8. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

EotG got scrwed. :( Real shame as it’s such a cool model. Let’s see what they do with errata

In memory of the EotG being good
    upload_2020-3-23_11-2-38.png

9. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I really am not in the know on this meme... ive seen"f" for *insert whatever here* before but I don't get it.

10. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

The origins of the *f* meme is from some game where you pressed f to pay respects to a guy you were close to. In this case the severely boned EotG which served us well is now somewhat useless, is worthy of an f to pay our respects

11. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

What is weird about the EotG?

12. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

it doesn't have a hero, and crew counts as a mount, so technically right now the horns, stomps and jaws are legal options for artifact weapons, and only the crew benefits from mount options like "prime war beast" or the sacred stegadon helm

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, it still has some great potential uses. Take an EoTG, stick an emerald swarm & slann next to him, laugh as your thunderstrike starhost now heals a potential 3D3 per turn, throw in a celestial apotheosis for good measure and heal one of your behemoths for a wopping 4D3.

It's just no longer the weird summoningbot thing that it used to be.

14. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

no its the weird healing bot now

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

At least it's fairly consistent, doesn't need to be babysat by a slann (even if a slann can acces additional powers it's not needed for the engine to be usefull) & actually wants to go into the frontline now instead of being a behemoth that's scared to get into melee in case it losses dice or simply can't place down it's summoned reinforcements.

O, and the ranges of it's effects have been normalized, so positioning is massivly simplified instead of the host of different and conflicting ranges it previously had.

It is so much more consistent and coherent as far as unit design goes now.

16. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

I still find it weird that the crew are the mount for the Stegadon and the EOTG. I get that the stegadon is the “main event” here, but the crew should be crew and the mount should be mount. If that means weird interplay with some of the rules/artefacts/CAs they gave us, those should be fixed instead of this arbitrary business. Is there any other units in AoS that have the same ruling?

17. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

EotG was support monster with some melee potential and now it is a melee monster with some support potential. He still can summon 10 warriors, which are pretty nice now, and can be very tanky with proper artifacts. It is a shame, that we will, most likely, want that artefacts slots for different things.

18. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Although the price is steep, I think the Shadowstrike starhost still has potential in an FoS list. You kind of need the extra CP (50 pts off the top) and the artefact you get is kind of junk, so I would comfortably say an aetherquartz or something similar would be worth 50 pts at least. 70 pts is still steep, but the other benefit is that you aren’t paying any extra unit tax, I.e. all the units in the battalion become viable.

I think with some good planning, you would keep the terradons back along with a chief, and put 2 skink blobs up in the sky. You drop the skink blobs in places they can’t be ignored (while still wholly within 18” of your heroes) and then goad them into charging you. 50-50 change you can evade combat with a few CPs, then on your turn you can push the terradons up, buff some skinks with venom etc, and go to town... meanwhile you are still dropping comets and stellar tempests and such.

the cost is steep, almost about half your 2k list if you go with max skink squads, but could do lots of good work.

Maybe not a tournament list, but would surprise some armies for sure.

If your main draw is the CP and artefact, then you can still use min sized skink squads (and maybe just a 6-terradon bomb), for 540 pts. Even then, you basically get 2 free LoSaTs for skink objective grabbers, or backfield harassers.

19. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

After getting some practice games in I’m of the opinion you must take a shadowstrike battalion in Starborne. The rippers and the terradons really need the chief to excel and the only way to reliably make sure the chief is right there where you need it to be is lord of space and time.

20. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Sounds reasonable. Another thing to keep in mind is that rippers lost 60 pts and terradons 30... so that’s 180pts saved for 9 rippers and 90 for terradons. That’s basically the price of the battalion there (and definitely for rippers). Arguably they are not as good anymore, but you are getting a pretty decent discount on them (especially for everyone that has buckets of rippers lying around)

I think deciding whether to keep your flyers up in the sky will depend on the army you are facing and the battleplan. My thoughts are still that you want to keep them on the ground because they are not as reliable landing 9” away (cogs plus hunters steed really helps this but doesn’t completely mitigate the risk)