1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Black vs grey undercoat

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Andrew Smith, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Andrew Smith Active Member

n00b question alert!

As detailed in my introductory thread, bought a SC Seraphon box and 3 Kroxigors over the past couple of years, and thus far I've painted 12 Saurus Warriors, the Kroxigors, and I'm working on the Cold Ones and the Carnosaur at the moment.

After learning (and fretting) a lot about undercoating, I decided to spray all my models black since it seems to be a good choice for beginners. Fully painted, I think the Saurus and the Kroxigors look fine in good lighting, but the colours also don't seem to be particularly vibrant. Maybe it's just that I don't have any point of comparison, but could it be that the black undercoat is dampening the brightness of my models?

For reference, on both sets of models I used a fairly standard paint scheme: a basecoat of Stegadon Scale Green, drybrush of Skink Blue on the scales, layered the skin with Sotek Green, Temple Guard Blue over the Sotek Green, a wash of Coelia Greenshade on the scales and skin, then a highlight of Temple Guard Blue on the skin.

I have a box of SC Skinks and a box of Saurus Warriors arriving in the mail, hopefully tomorrow, and I bought a can of grey spray with the intention of using it on the Skinks. However, if I use the grey spray on the new Saurus Warriors, will this significantly change the look of the new ones versus the old ones that were sprayed with black? I'm fine with continuing with a black spray for the warriors, but it would be nice to know what effect, if any, my choice of undercoat is having on the finished product.

Any advice is appreciated!

Imrahil likes this.
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

The undercoat influences the colors to some extent. Mostly depending on the thickness of your layering. The ticket the layer the less influence it has.

Grey undercoat combines with a thin layer gives brighter colors.

Grrr, Imrahil

Andrew Smith likes this.
  3. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Perfect, thanks. I thought I layered the paint pretty well, but I could be wrong. I'll continue with the black spray on the warriors, in that case.

Imrahil likes this.
  4. Benji
    Skink

Benji Member

Maybe post some pics of your paintjob. Personally I use Citadels Wraithbone on every model (except a black paintjob is planned) for it is easily the best primer currently out there (I skipped vallejo airbrush Primers for this).
    As a rule of thumb I would say that brighter colors are better in general, for a "darker" army looks boring most of the time.

Imrahil likes this.
  5. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Here are some examples from both paint jobs. Unfortunately I don't have the greatest lighting, since I haven't received my new lamp yet.

SaurusWarrior.jpg Kroxigor.jpg

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  6. Imrahil
    Slann

Looks great!
    I love the Kroxigor.

Keep it up

Grrr, Imrahil

Andrew Smith likes this.
  7. Rex Rummens
    Jungle Swarm

Rex Rummens New Member

i used to use exclusively white primer because it left all of my colors soooo much brighter. one day (about 15 or 20 yrs ago) there was no white primer because GW was revamping their formula, so i went with black primer instead... the finished product was noticeably darker and i HATED it!!!

i decided to use a white drybrush (skull white... the pure white) on the black primed models and the difference was startling... after painting, the colors were more vibrant ANNNND the the recesses and shadows were more shadowy... in short, it was a VERY nice look! :-D

and i've been painting my minis like that ever since and i HIGHLY advise the you try it. :) btw, my main armies are lizardmen and eldar (both of whom look exceptional with brighter colors).

Andrew Smith and Imrahil like this.
  8. Imrahil
    Slann

Interesting method. Did you apply a heavy drybrush or a light one?

I will try this some time

Grrr, Imrahil

9. Rex Rummens
    Jungle Swarm

Rex Rummens New Member

its a rather heavy one... i do (sometimes) 2 or 3 passes... i mean, its white and not gray, but its not caked on or anything...its a dry brush.

you should easily see the details as they pop sooooo much better than just black or white alone. :-D

you can pick the white-ness level you like. and in general, the whiter the more you r colors will pop...

also dont forget to use pop-y colors! :p

Imrahil likes this.
  10. Glockta
    Skink

Glockta Active Member

Gentlemen,
    Underpainting. I just did the following without an airbrush to show:

Step 1, hit it with a can of black primer spray, GW is good shit for this, its thin and drys fast.
    black primer.JPG
    Step 2, with a can of white primer, lightly zenthial spray, leaving the underside of things considerably darker.
    white zenthial primer.JPG
    Step 3 , Drybrush all of it white.
    white drybrush.JPG

I usually work with an airbrush when applying colour. But if I was to move forward without an airbrush I would either apply my colours using a little bit more thinner than usual so the high points pop and the low points stay dark or I would take the easy route and throw contrast paints over this.

Contrast paints over underpainting is the easiest way for your mini to look good with very little effort.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021