1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Can Skink Chiefs and Skink Priests join Skroxigor blocks?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Scalenex, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Skroxigor are a unique unit but I read about skink characters in Skrox blocks often enough that I wonder if I they know something I don't.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Re: Can Skink Chiefs and Skink Priests joing Skroxigor block

I include skink characters in my skrox units. I always have and I always will. I have discussed this at length with my gaming group and everyone agrees that they should be allowed.

3. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Oh i agree but as usual the RAW is stoopid.

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

so, if you use this FAQ (and you do, because its official) you accept that SKrox are unique so you cant stomp them. how would you then argue that characters can join them? (the rules say that characters cant join unique units).

if you house rule it, fine. you can do whatever you wish, but according to the rules (and this was a rule question wasnt it?) it is very clear. SKrox are unique, so characters can not join them.

5. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Agreed, RAW you can't but I can't think of a single person I game with that would think it shouldn't be done.

Its an infantry block.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Every person that I have brought this up to has agreed that characters can go in the unit. Most of them have commented on it be a no brainer as well.

Another question, isn't the plague furnace (inside a unit of plague monks) a unique unit? There is a character riding the furnace. So that would be another example of the same thing.

7. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Both the furnace and the bell have rules in their description how to join units though, heck they're required to.

PS: besides that unit can be stomped as it's an infantry unit joined by a unique character, not a unique unit joined by an infantry character.

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

at the very least you should allow SKrox to be stomped if you allow characters to join them (though only the skinks should be hit). if you are going to go by what is "logical" and "realistic" it should be like that at least...

EDIT: i think a more important question here is why would you ever want a character in a SKrox unit?

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

I usually put a skink priest in there. Sometimes, if I take an all skink army, I may put a chief in there for some reason or another. As for the stomp, I allowed my skinks to be stomped until the FAQ came out stating that they could not be stomped.

It boils down to needing a FAQ to clarify this issue.

10. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

no... it doesnt. the FAQ is clear enough as it is. if you do not want to house rule it away, thats fine, but the ruling is clear.

11. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Thought skaven FAQ ruled them as unique units and thus unstompable.

12. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

No because they're still a character model and thus not the whole unit is unique its an infantry unit with a unique character in it, just as you can stomp warriors with a bloodcrusher rider joined.

13. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

I may be missing something here but I have been completely unable to find anywhere in the rulebook where characters are banned from joining unique/mixed units and hence skrox. Page 97 lists the units that characters are "normally permitted" to join and provides a list of unit types that they are outright banned from joining such as monsters, flyers, chariots and war machines. From what I can find in the CRB and the FAQ, no mention is made anywhere of characters and unique units either allowing or forbidding it. While it could be argued that the list of permissible units to join includes all possibilities, a similar argument can be made regarding units that characters are prohibited from joining - essentially if the type is not on the list then they are allowed to join it. While we allow it locally, I always check with my opponents/tourney organizer when I am playing outside of my local group.

14. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I think it says somewhere that characters can only join units that are of the same unit type. Inf to inf, Calv to calv. Therefore you cant join inf to unique.

15. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

That's just plain wrong.

16. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

That can't be right, mounted heroes in infantry blocks are pretty common.

17. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

idd

If it isnt allowed, it is forbidden. it is almost impossible to write rules if you assume that everything that is not forbidden is allowed, you must assume the other way around. yes i know that many many rules are formulated to actually describe what is forbidden too, but that is just for clarity's sake. just as an example, there is no place in the rules that says "you are not allowed to move your enemy's units when he isnt looking". instead the rules describe exactly how and when you MAY move your own units, and thus it becomes obvious that you may not move your opponents units, even though it is not expressly forbidden. by this logic, characters can join those, and only those unit types that are described as being ok on page 97(?).

18. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Re: Can Skink Chiefs and Skink Priests join Skroxigor blocks

Lol, My post was incorrect I understand that now.

Was just hypothesize what rules could be out there that would keep chars from unique. Seems settled now.

19. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

If it isnt allowed, it is forbidden. it is almost impossible to write rules if you assume that everything that is not forbidden is allowed, you must assume the other way around. yes i know that many many rules are formulated to actually describe what is forbidden too, but that is just for clarity's sake. just as an example, there is no place in the rules that says "you are not allowed to move your enemy's units when he isnt looking". instead the rules describe exactly how and when you MAY move your own units, and thus it becomes obvious that you may not move your opponents units, even though it is not expressly forbidden. by this logic, characters can join those, and only those unit types that are described as being ok on page 97(?).[/quote]

Im sorry, but this is a list of cannot's!!! Therefore he may join any unit but the ones listed!! The second paragraph is the ruling as it says "unless otherwise stated, a character CANNOT join a unit of.....(list of units)" Unique units are not on this list. As you said some rules are written to forbid and this is one of them!

20. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

But this is talking about stomping not about a character joining, so until there is an FAQ specifically saying "No Characters cannot join this unit" it is not an official rule, it is an assumption/personal interpretation of a rule.

A special character is considered Unique (can only have 1 per Army) can they join the a SKROX unit?

I only ever see one person on this message board arguing that they cannot. Everyone else says their local game clubs allow it. I have played numerous RTs with it and in the Ard’ Boyz Tournament (which is sanctioned by GW) with it. So why are we then still giving this argument any credence what so ever?