1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Cannons and Cover

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by puffin, May 4, 2015.

1. puffin
    Jungle Swarm

puffin New Member

Simple question: can my opponent fire his cannon at my Ancient Stegadon (hidden behind the stone circle in case you can't see it)?

[​IMG]

He thinks he can, because once the cannon has fired at a point it can see it automatically hits whatever is behind it.

I say he can't because a) he can't see a point that will land a cannonball on my stegadon, and b) the stone circle is an obstacle that will stop the cannonball.

Help!

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

not sure, but I think your right.

3. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

lordkingcrow Active Member

I'd say he cannot shoot. All you can see of the beast are some bits of the alter. I believe that if you look up the rules of line of sight it says that things like tails, wings, alter bits, etc... don't count if the majority of the beast is hidden. I have Empire and Dwarves and I couldn't justify a shot like that.

n810 likes this.
  4. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Definately can't. Even if you could somehow see the stegadon I'd say the impassable obstacle would stop the cannon ball.

This is actually the exact situation why True Line of Sight should never have been introduced into an abstract game. Also this is why we with my friends play with ETC styled simple line of sight.

BR
    Agrem

n810 and borkbork like this.
  5. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

The cannon has no line of sight as only head and body count.
    If you could see it behind the stone circle you could fire at the stegadon but if you chose a point on the ground Agrem is correct it would be stopped by the stone circle however you can choose your point on the visible part of the target and hope to roll a 2 on the artillery dice for where the cannon ball lands as this may hit the stegadon. But basicallyon this occasion it's a moot point as the alter doesn't count for line of sight

6. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

True line of sight is on a wargames table is totally rediculous indeed.

But a canon needs line of sight to the point he is aiming at, and he can definately not see a point behind the altar, so he either can not shoot, or he needs to pick a point in front of the altar an the canon ball gets stopped by it.

Aleksey and n810 like this.
  7. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Yeah as the alter does not count as part of the stegadon for los this is correct. However it is important to note that if someone part of the stegadon was visible then the player firing the cannon could choose the visible part as the targeting point for the cannon, it doesn't have to be a point on the table that is chosen

8. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

With altar i actually ment the terrain piece (the stone circle). Sorry, poor choice of words.

But if he targets the altar (of the steg) he will most likely miss it anyways.

9. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Haha, ah ok, yeah I agree it would likely hit anyway