1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classical Architecture

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Karak Norn Clansman, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Karak Norn Clansman Well-Known Member

ClassicistORG is a wonderful Youtube channel to follow on the topic of classical architecture. This particular lecture goes through the principles of classical architecture all across the world, regardless of culture or continent. A couple of highlights on universal human traits:

"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. "

"Human eyes crave two things: Order and variety, in delicate balance. If it is too orderly, then it is boring and oppressive. If it is too varied, it is chaotic and unpleasant. Beauty."

Warmly recommended. Inspiring stuff, and hopefully an antidote to anyone who thinks unornamented minimalism is a sound thing most of the time. :)

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I live in England. I've been to France, Holland, Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

There's nothing quite like the architecture from the time when it was a point of pride to create a beautiful building.

Sadly, this is completely lost (for the most part) in the present age of economical building.

Karak Norn Clansman and Imrahil like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

This is so true, they used to build works of art.
    This also has to do with the costs of material vs costs of labor.
    It used to be high materual cost and low labor cost. Nowadays it is the other way around.

Grrr, Imrahil

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  4. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

There's not a lot of great old architecture in Oz because we are a youngish country by modern standards.
    I've travelled throughout SE Asia and seen some truly amazing works thousands of years old. Borubodur in Indonesia, the Ellora and Ajanta cave temples in India, the Taj Mahal, Red Fort etc. Castles throughout Europe.
    But the work that really blew me away was something unexpected.
    One winter in Germany in Cologne I literally came around a corner and there in front of me in all its magnificence was the Dom. A great black Gothic edifice of a Cathedral.

5. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Karak Norn Clansman Well-Known Member

It is truly astonishing that in an age of machines and plenty unimaginable to our ancestors, buildings have become plain, sterile, unornamented and boring. The decline in beauty is mindboggling. Trash buildings reflecting a trash age mayhap?

At any rate, we can put in some effort to make our Warhammer buildings beautiful. That's within anyone's budget. :)

Lizards of Renown likes this.