1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting skink musician

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by BigDinosaur, Nov 30, 2022.

1. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

So I am going to start a unit of ranked skinks with javelin and I was wondering how to best convert the musician to make it look as seamless as possible. As I am not very creative, maybe some of you can suggest ideas or help me by posting some pics.

Thanks in advance.

Imrahil likes this.
  2. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Make one with blowpipe and pretend it is trumpet :D

Imrahil likes this.
  3. BigDinosaur
    Skink

Trying to avoid that hehe.

Im thinking some conversion with drum and stick, but Im bad with greenstuff so not sure.

Imrahil likes this.
  4. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Maybe one of cold one drummer skulls? You could simply glue piece of lead wire on each side and make skink wear it same as those hot-dog guys wear plates on stadiums.
    Then hands are easy, just take left and right one, cut off javelin from right and club from left, drill a 1mm hole through fist. Insert brass rod (or... You know... paperclip) and get some GW skulls that you drill and glue on ends of drumsticks. This is just brainstorm, but no greenstuff needed.

Imrahil and BigDinosaur like this.
  5. BigDinosaur
    Skink

Hi, I don't know if this will interest anyone, but just incase I will update with how it went and how I approached my conversion (with pictures too).

1. I decided to go with drums as I felt that a trumpet or horn type of instrument would not look seamless enough without heavier conversion as well as not fitting with the army theme as much (in my opinion).
    2. The simplest solution I could find that required the less greenstuff (or in my case gsw putty) or at least easier to sculpt was by clipping a sword hand (sand it a bit too) -> remove arm -> use paper clip bit to stick from torso to hand and use as structure for the sculped arm.
    3. For the drum I used bits from the saurus warrior kit -> some gsw putty to merge it all together -> fill in the gaps -> shorten the chamber a bit by sanding/clipping.
    4. Glue the drum to the knee of the skink -> glue the repurposed hand (with the paperclip arm) to the drum -> match the other end of the paper clip bit with the torso and shape it as semi-oval to roughly form the direction of the arm.
    5. After everything is glued and in place, its about sculpting the arm.
    6. Finally, for the leather strip just "snake" shape some greenstuff/putty, level it against a flat surface, cut the strip and wait for it to dry a bit. When semi-dry you can place it on the skin and glue it easy.
    7. Tips: Patience, think as layers when sculpting and wait for the previous one to dry before adding more. If you need to remove material, you can always sand after. Using a small electric drill with sanding tips works wonder and makes everything a lot easier.
    Some pictures:

conversion1.jpg
    conversion2.jpg
    cresta3.jpg

6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Those skinks are beautifully painted :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

BigDinosaur likes this.