1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Endless spells countering hoards

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Salamander Tactics, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Salamander Tactics
    Skink

Salamander Tactics Member

Just saw a video where one Seraphon player cast a whole lot of Endless Spells and they utterly devastated hoards. Has this been anyone else's experience, and if so, what are the downsides to using this kind of tactic against hoard armies like Skaven and Gitz? If there are no downsides to this vs swarm/hoard centered armies, then it sounds like a possible balance issue.

BTW, no I am not affiliated with anyone in this video. I just like watching and learning from Battle Reports a lot and hearing what others think about them.

2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

oh wow thats a badly made seraphon list... and a badly made scaven list.
    ok first off you can not use 5 endless spells any more the hard limit is 3. also they got the dracothion artifact wrong so he should have been dispelling endless spells the entire time. man i forgot how bad these guy where at AoS.
    over all no the geminids are dangerous but endless spells are not how you counter hordes. horde breaker spells are how you counter hordes and skaven have the best one in the game

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. Salamander Tactics
    Skink

Yikes. Well at least they seemed to have fun and demonstrated good sportsmanship about it - which is what is most important at the end. But yeah, good to know that this is technically against the rules.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

it is a older video from their archives it could be from before the GHB that limited endless spells. the rest of the mistakes are less excusable and the scaven player was dumb you don't just try to force your way thru a bottle neck like that

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Salamander Tactics
    Skink

I don't know. The Endless still seemed to counter the hoards even with only three spells active. Five of course is better, but even you note, three spells created a pretty useful bottleneck.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

then go around it. those aren't even the good bottle neck spells he doesn't have grave tide or palisade and it's a rather expensive way to keep people from going in one direction

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

It was my origial idea as soon as the tome dropped of focusing largely on magic and having a bunch of Endless Spells to constrict the movement of my opponent, especially against armies with bigger base models. I never really executed it in practice because 1) It would create awful game experience for my opponent and 2) The GHB20 kind of ruined the idea. You can still take stuff like the Gnashing Jaws and Purple Sun etc. and create a walls or make a "300" situation where against a combat army the opponent wont have a lot of surface area to fight with his models due to the Endless Spells sitting around.

I like MiniWarGaming for their entertainment value, but they get so many rules wrong in almost every single AoS battlereport. You really shouldnt watch them for the gameplay. Many of their lists make no sense and is just a bunch of random models slapped together - That is not to say every list should be hyper competitive, but againt the gameplay/balance aspect is kinda thrown out the window when lists are that badly put together.

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Bound Geminids and Bound Purple Sun can work well in almost any of our list. I tend to like BwV for one of the three slots. However, I can see Ravanaks and Purple Sun working together to make a sizable wall.

9. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

i wouldn't look at any MWG video for competitive ideas.
    you invest a lot in trying to path block with endless spells which i don't think is the best tactic. the other player can dispel them without trouble and even gives their lower level wizards a use if they cant go head to head with slann spell casting,

LizardWizard likes this.