1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiments with filtering and cleaning used Isopropyl

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lord-Marcus, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

So, for work I use 91% ISO to clean resin prints.

Any excess resin on the models mixes with the alcohol and thus the alcohol will progressively exhibit:

A) cloudiness

B) a green tinge. I use transparent green resin so this makes sense.

I call this stage 1.

I transfer used alcohol into recycled glass canning jars.

Anywho, the resin cures with UV light, sinks to the bottom and forms a sludge layer, and the green color fades to a yellow. this is not a perfect process, which has caused some frustration on my end. When the alcohol reaches this point I call it stage 2.

I've recently been researching how to properly clean and filter my alcohol so as to recycle it as much as possible.

One document I read suggested leaving used alcohol outside in the sun for several days. I have a porch that gets a fair amount of sun during the day.

So, I've decided to run a few experiments and keep track of progress. Starting with leaving 3 bottles out in the sun for several days in a row.

Once as clear as possible, I am going to strain them through a couple micron filters and then repeat the process.

I put these 3 bottles out Wednesday morning. Leftmost was yellow green, right two were pretty much emerald green. Unfortunately I did not think to snap a photo at the time.

This is how they looked after the sun went down.

PXL_20220616_031906592.jpg PXL_20220616_031901625.jpg

Imrahil likes this.