1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest February - April 2016 Visual Art Contest - WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

20140403_220304.jpg Bowstiladon

spawning of Bob and Bracnos like this.
  2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Cowabomba!
    I know I didn't specify, but models and sculpts aren't valid for this comp. I know Michelangelo knows this, but Donatello, Leonardo and Raphael might be confused.

Bowser likes this.
  3. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Does this exclude all digital 3D work? Only asking as that my chosen artistic medium in life :p (probably won't matter as I have no idea how to make 3D object match the contest theme XD)

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  4. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Boy is this spiraling out of hand.

Please go ahead and submit a (new) 3d sculpt. If it smashes everyone else and anyone thinks that's unfair, we revise the rules next time. (My awesomeness is the REAL reason behind the no multiple entries and no illustrations rules in the story comp ;) )

Have y'all voted in the story comp yet?

Phoedinn and Bowser like this.
  5. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Finally, I have an idea.

*sharpens pencil*

6. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

medium: pencil shavings on floor.

That won't get you many votes.

n810 and Bowser like this.
  7. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

I just googled "pencil shaving art" and had my eyes opened.

You misinterpret my comment however: the pencil is to defend me from my critics.

8. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Watch your back, friend.

Essmir, Slanputin and Bowser like this.
  9. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

He gonna stab us with a pencil or something? Slanputin is going to be a giant Krox with a pencil chained to his hands?

spawning of Bob, Essmir and Bowser like this.
  10. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

I was thinking more on the lines of the Skink Handlers from AoS: *Aim for the eyes!*

Essmir and Bowser like this.
  11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

It's visual art. If you are aiming for the heart, you go through the eyes.

Messy, but effective.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Essmir, Slanputin and Bowser like this.
  12. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

Well, fourth and fifth rib are good too, though I doubt a picture or a pencil would aggressive enough to cause that much damage.

spawning of Bob, Essmir and Bowser like this.
  13. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

You are one scary stegosaurus.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Bowser likes this.
  14. details
    Cold One

details Well-Known Member

Well...I've got a duo of sacred spawning sauri and an image with 8 skink priests (one for every wind of magic) that are done and I still haven't posted here on the forums, but both the pics are relatively old and are not done with this contest in mind, so they may be not much in theme.
    I do have a pair of new ideas for the contest that also allow me to revisit some uncomplete drawings, but we should talk about that in PM I guess.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    spawning of Bob, n810 and Bowser like this.
  15. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I have a feeling that refreshing old images would technically match the "Continuity and Change" Theme. :)

But both images content makes sense with the theme. Even if they aren't entries, there are a few spare niches in the Temple of Aartzifartzi, and I want to enjoy more of your odd ball style.

What I want to do for this comp is way above my technical ability at this time, so I have my eye on an older unfinished image as a back up plan. When I finish short story comp feedback, I will attempt to explain what I want to do and post some WIP showing that I haven't got a clue (yet).

Its not currently a rule that images need to be new as such. I feel like "not previously published" is a fair compromise, but my bias is towards encouraging entries, not restricting them - so do what you want. We can always nerf you in the next comp if you make us look bad.

Bowser likes this.
  16. Phoedinn
    Razordon

A quick question @spawning of Bob . Do we need to post WIP images along the way, or just keep them back to be presented when asked? I've seen what I think are a few here already so I assume is ok to post them here anyway, just asking to be sure :)

Bowser likes this.
  17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Please use this thread for anything which might encourage others or get you any support and advice you need.

The voting thread will be presented as a locked "gallery" of single images, so any clutter / info provided here shouldn't have a bearing there.

My rule in every writing comp I have entered is to do something different to my general writing style, in the hope that I can a) grow as a writer and b) surprise somebody.

I'm planning to do the opposite here. My planned image for this comp is actually meant to be a gift for a fellow forumnite, but the WIP stuff I plan to post here won't automatically spoil the surprise, plus the recipient is so modest that they are unlikely to twig that someone wishes to acknowledge their contribution.

Now - boring technical detail to follow -

Go and look at what I did on page one in Bob and Friends. So people don't go crazy hopping around following a long silly conversation when all they want to see is images, I have been editing and adding pics to the page one posts for years. A standard post can handle ten images hosted on L-O. Externally hosted - I must have put in 40 links in before the "computer says no...' threshold was reached.

What I will do is start a post here and nominate it as "My WIP and discussion post on page 4 of this thread".

I will attempt to make each image a progression of what is before, or showing off the things that have inspired my vision - ie not post multiple near identical images. WHen I have more to add, I will hit "edit" and put it there.

When I add something meaningful, I will do a new post which will include some random sniping at @Slanputin or @Hyperborean and I will also say "new image added to My WIP and discussion post on page 4 of this thread"

The idea is that people can follow the progression without excessive hunting, and the thread becomes less unwieldy

Scalenex and Bowser like this.
  18. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Great! I'll have to do that then :) I plan to getting a start on it this weekend, hopefully. I'll post some images then! Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

19. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I'm sorry I've been neglecting this thread - but I have been as busy as a troglodon with two tails.

Long boring WIP thread which explains my inspiration and why I can't make it work.

I have an image in mind - more than one actually. It is a slann touching a mystical object superimposed on a star field with two moons.

Some things that are inspiring this are:

[​IMG]

The way the shadows on the helmet allow the stars to show through - i want that for slann and object.

The following is the planet Giedi Prime, from Dune, with an updated picture after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had Giedi Prime in mind to capture the dark menace I wanted for morrslieb. But for a warp moon, do I want green surface with red lava or Black surface with green lava? So many choices.

Another variation for this is from another movie poster. Guesses which one?
    [​IMG]

Of the three elements (star field, slann and object, moons) I COULD draw the star field today and either of the others today. BUT both eclipsing moons and head and shoulders plus floating object would fit best in a square frame (and I mean would lose visual impact in any other shape frame) Like Darth Vader in the poster above, I want the moons to be a huge and menacing element, but they shouldn't over power the "action". The relative positions of Slann + object and Moon+moon are both suited to diagonal positioning in a square frame - so they will either overlap and obscure each other and ruin the starfield in shadows effect, OR all sit at opposite corners and look dorky AND obscure the sweep of the star field.

I've done 10+ layout sketches so far without a happy result, and haven't even started with the superimpose or lava effects which I need to figure out.

Anyhow, I'm not asking for help at this point, I just wanted you all to feel my pain.

I'll post up some actual WIP here when I have something to show.

Stuff Added 28/2/16

Rather than keep moaning about how I couldn't frame things, I pushed on with individual elements. All of the moons I drew myself have been binned, but I cut these out of some random scifi art (and no, I didn't remember to keep the weblink. The slann is traced over a photo of the WHFB model that I found. The mystic object... needs work. But I think I have solved my framing problem by running a straight line through the moons to the centre of the object - there is another visual tie other than the frame.

[​IMG]

I've got a long way to go, but at least I am going forwards now.

MOAR stuff - same day. I am stoked with how well my first starfield slann experiment went.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Bracnos, Warden, Phoedinn and 2 others like this.
  20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

20160223_203210.jpg

spawning of Bob likes this.