1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS First test game

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by SkinkBait, Mar 14, 2020.

1. SkinkBait
    Saurus

SkinkBait Active Member

Played my first game with the new tome last night. (My LGS' shipment came in and the owner said as long as I didn't purchase the book til today they'd let me play with it)

Just threw some stuff together to test out stuff. . .
    Coalesced Thunder Lizard
    Skink priest on Steg(steg helm)
    Scarvet on Carno(fusilade/general)
    Starpries
    Priest
    Troglodon

20 skinks
    20 Saurus warriors
    1 Stegadon

Bastiladon
    3 kroxigor
    Thunderquake Templehost
    Realmshaper Engine

My opponent had Blades of Khorne with mostly S2D models. Had a karkadrak a stoker a secrator and 2 priests; his big standouts were a soul grinder and a 9 man herd of bloodcrushers.

Was first game with the book so we just lined up and said "let's smash each others faces".

Key take aways:
    Stegadons are AWESOME!!
    For the points I wish I would've had a Slann instead of the troglodon. Even in Thunder Lizard.
    Skinks are still wonderful even with just the Starpriest buff.
    Saurus warriors are cool, but better if Koatls Claws. (Fought 1 chaos warrior with 7 saurus. Only did 2 wounds. Luckily they had rend so he failed both but still. . .)
    I definitely played the Steg Helm wrong thanks to the warscroll saying artefact only affects the skink.
    Kroxigor are super cool. Very worth the price. Especially with Tquake.
    I feel like Bastiladons dont need Tquake to be solid anymore.
    Big dinos fall off on damage dealt really fast so healing is a good idea to have.

I won on turn 4 by tabling my opponent. Still had all my big dinos minus the trog and my saurus warriors and priests.

Next thing I want to try is Coalesced with no subfaction. EotG with the Steg Helm and Master of Star Rituals Command trait looks insanely scary. Gonna try Saurus Knights and stick to Thunderquake because big monster.

Womboski, Aginor, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  2. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

Good to hear Stegadons are out here wrecking face. I just need them to come back in stock in New Zealand so that I can take more than one for a spin!

Imrahil and LizardWizard like this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I got my first game in Friday as well.

Salamanders did not disappoint. Never got the use the Realmshaper Engine though. I placed it center table so that my opponent wouldn't get a chance to have garrisoned terrain in his territory if lost the roll off. Then we both constantly had models within 3". So neither of use got to jump inside. In the future I might LoSaT a screen of Skinks to zone the temple so I can garrison it turn two.

Womboski and Imrahil like this.
  4. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

the helm overrides the steg chief "only affects the chief" wording because it specifically says "the mount" so you didn't put it in the wrong spot you just got confused about its application. the steg helm on a steg with chief gives +1 to the crew weapon (flamers or bow) the meteoric javelins, the horns jaws and stomps. in fact because the chief is specifically not the mount and the rest is, the only unaffected weapon is his.

Imrahil and LizardWizard like this.