1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Fossils / Dead Dinos

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Gary_M, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this, but was glancing at the army book over the weekend and while I've not read the End of Times stuff, picked up some from other threads here and wondered if there was a bit of fluff that has been ignored....

Re-animating fossil or dead dino remains.

If we have the most powerful magic users in the game re-animating a bunch of old bones should be very easy, shouldn't it?

Rather than just making the old bones a bunch of dead skinks or slann, why not make them dead Bastis or stegs (or even bigger monsters)?

I just love the idea of the skeletal remains of the Lustrian equivalent of a Brontosaurus or two (yes, I know it should be called Apatasaurus but when I grew up it was a Brontosaurus!) come rumbling out of the jungle.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I would have said that the Lizards would find such an abuse of the order of things repulsive.

(lizardmen live single mindedly to promote the Great Plan (whatever that is) until they die. Then they rest. Some fluff meisters would have their revered dead returned to the spawning pool nutrient broth to live anew that way)

Of course both Bob and Scalenex have been killed, made into zombies and then restored, but it didn't affect Bob so badly. Brainz.

Now along comes the End Times. Undeath for everyone! Hooray!

The Skink Priests would be cautious in using it because they are answerable to the Slann (who aren't giving a lot of guidance) and because they probably have an idealized concept of their Old One Gods in their head. Going all necro might not be cool to blessed Chotec etc.

The Slann are pragmatic enough to make their own rules. A revived brontosaurus abomination, made up of the body of a diplodocus and the skull of an apatosaurus found several kilometres away wouldn't bother them (nor would it bother a palaeontologist, apparently...)

That's because the Slann don't care what you think. Its The Plan, stupid, by any and all means available.

Practical application?

There are a lot of detailed dino skeleton models out there... swap the heads and you can call yourself a visionary.

You are the general (I picture you as Gary the Slann) Raise what you want.

The rest of your army might be uncomfortable, but they will do what they are told. Except in the case of the two vision impaired skinks who work the giant bow on the Stegadon. And those derpy Cold Ones. But you get the idea.

Using dead dinos won't even significantly impair their woeful initiative - no fluff justification OR rules adjustment required!

* Spawning of Bob content does not reflect GW dogma, nor indeed will it match whatever tripe he is spewing tomorrow.
    ** At all times Fluff-Caring Generals should apply "The Rule of Cool"- (The limit of the Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a given element is directly proportional to the element's awesomeness.) to any and all fluff and army composition decisions.
    ** Nothing you do wrt killing and raising characters or creatures will substantially reduce the coolness of your army because you've already got DINOSAURS!

HOW COOL IS THAT?

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

For my Lustrian themed undead I've been trying to find dinosaur skeletons to use.

Dinosaur skeleton toys are common. Dinosaur skeletons that fit on 40 mm or 50 mm bases are not.

I was hoping to use a Carnosaur (T-Rex) skeleton for a Varghulf and skeleton terradons (Pterodactylus) for Fell Bats.

Assuming I ever get around to making jungle terrain, my plan was to use a cross between the Lion King elephant graveyard and the La Brea Tar Pits for a Charnel pit, but terrain making is on my back burner.