1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. friendly list - advice welcome!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by lizardmen98, Dec 10, 2013.

1. lizardmen98
    Saurus

lizardmen98 Member

OK, so just got a slann and I've been collecting lizards for several years. Firstly, I am stupid, but secondly, I will have a chance to test him very soon. So, I created this list. Here it is.

Lords
    Slann mage priest - higher state of consciousness. Focus of mystery. forbidden rod. 430 pts
    Lords: 430 pts

Heroes
    Scar-vet - light armour, cold one, sword of strife, shield. 150 pts
    Scar-vet - carnosaur, dragonhelm, light armour, enchanted shield. 321 pts
    Heroes: 471 pts

Core
    20 - saurus warriors 220 pts
    21 - saurus warriors 231 pts
    10 - skink skirmishers 70 pts
    Core: 521 pts

Special
    6 - cold one cavalry, musician. 190 pts
    Bastiladon - solar engine. 150 pts
    Special: 340 pts

Rare
    Ancient stegadon - 230 pts
    Salamander hunting pack - snack. 84 pts
    Rare: 314 pts

As previously stated, advice is welcome. Hopefully skaven steaks will be served!

2. harbinger334
    Saurus

harbinger334 New Member

Hmm looks pretty solid if it were me id make a few changes however for me i would not carry the slann with the forbidden rod and higher state due to the d3 wounds thing just because hes ethereal doesnt mean he cant be wounded as he is unstable (every point he loses combat by he takes a wound) which means if you get charged by a model with more than 2 ranks with a banner and charge bonus you kiss your slann goodbye personally i would take the slann with harmonic convergence and becalming cogitation and scrap the forbiiden rod for the channeling staff therefore u roll 3 channeling on 5+ every turn . Also i would bulk up your saurus a bit a unit of 20 in my experience a unit of 20 wont hold out that long try maybe 25 minimum other than that good list good luck!

3. Andy06r
    Saurus

Andy06r Member

If you have the models, consider swapping HSoC for a 10 strong cohort. 4+ (or 2+ if you bunker) look out sir and a 4+ ward is all you need, and grab dragonbane gem.

Are you playing BRB missions? The saurus need at least a musician and banner for both blood and glory and general purpose. Right now you auto-lose.

Otherwise, looks fine. I'm not a fan of single Ancient Stegadons (IMO they are a take 0 or take 2 choice) but for a friendly list is fine. Don't forget to 20" shunt the stegadon into a flank with short range blowpipes.

EDIT - Your second cowboy is illegal, both the shield and helm are magic armor.

4. lizardmen98
    Saurus

lizardmen98 Member

We always play with house rules, but even so, I think I saw a discussion on this. They stated it is legal because the shield states shield, and the helm does not state heavy or light armour.

5. Andy06r
    Saurus

Andy06r Member

You are absolutely 100% correct, *however* ...

Page 500, Balance of Power

"Each model can only carry one of each type of magic item.... Magic Weapons, Magic Armour, Talismans, Enchanted Items, Arcane Items, and Magic Standards"

Both the Dragonhelm and Enchanted Shield are classified as Magic Armour on page 502.

The best a Saurus on foot can be is 2+ armor, which is achievable through a variety of ways. What I would recommend for your Scarnosaur is Armor of Fortune (ward save), Dragonbane Gem (dwarf cannon, searing doom, and breath weapon protection), mundane shield.

That makes your ScarVet 2+/5++/2++F. The 10 leftover points don't need to be spent, but an ironcurse icon or swiftstride Carnosaur would make good filler.

6. Pofadder
    Cold One

Pofadder New Member

No BSB?

Or am I reading wrong?

7. lizardmen98
    Saurus

lizardmen98 Member

Lol I forgot, looking through banners now to add to slann mage priest ;-)

Edit: dang, I haven't got enough core models to make up for the extra points added by standard. I guess I'll just have to deal without.

8. lizardmen98
    Saurus

lizardmen98 Member

So I can still use the normal shield with armour and dragonhelm? Does The carno give +1 to AS?

9. godswearhats
    Saurus

godswearhats New Member

Yes. Mounted on anything you get +1 to AS, whether it's a pony or a Carnosaur. Some creatures (notably Juggernauts) give +2 to AS.

Mounting an Oldblood therefore gives you 3+ AS base, so you only need to add light armour / shield to give 1+. Or some form of magical armour so he retains his 1+ save with a great weapon in close combat.

~gwh

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

11. godswearhats
    Saurus

godswearhats New Member

Hahahah, spot the Lizardmen newb! Yes, I'd forgotten that. :)