1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Get on the Bus! Cold One Bus Tactica

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Matzotyl, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I've heard stories about how incredibly underwear staining a Cold One Bus can be for your opponents, but ther are a few problems I'm having with trying it out. Mainly, I don't know how many to run, and what type of list it would be most effective in. It was suggested to me to run a front flank of 1-2 Old Bloods on Cold One in the bus, and have the remainder of the front line (5 or 6 wide) be Scar Veterans so opponents have to divide up the attacks between each specific character. I can see how this would be helpful, but I have a feeling this would eat up a lot of points. Has anyone here run a Cold One Bus list who could offer me some help and suggestions please and thank you?

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

We have an informal Tactica for this topic. Buses in general. I don't remember anyone writing about making the front rank of a cavalry bus all characters before though. I did that with a Skink Cohort (with Kroxigor too). It was kind of a pain for me because I gave them a lot of cheap magic items so I had to refer to my notes to keep track of what was what.

Problem I had with my super Skink Cohort was tarpits. Putting that many points in one Cold One would have an even larger risk.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  3. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I only have five (soon to be six) completed Cold Ones which I use as war machine hunters.

I just came to say I enjoyed the title of this thread.

4. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Thanks for the link Scalenex. I looked for a Cold One Bus topic with the search function but I didn't find anything. Perhaps I used it incorrectly but I'll go check out that thread for more info.

5. latedave
    Skink

latedave New Member

I've run 5 Scar Vets on Cold Ones with great weapons which was quite effective (560 as I recall) in a standard unit, the problem being is I'm not sure it's really worth losing the flexibility of Scar Vet Cowboys for the hitting power. You could start to give them all additional saves but then the points totals keep leaping up and they do rather scream 'shoot me'. I used them against High Elves and they were pretty effective wiping out a couple of Spear Units, S7 really messes with high armour save units.

The problem I found is they were just a magnet for his repeater bows and most armies have access to stuff that can deal with 1+/2+ saves, or at least they do on the charge. It works ok if you pick your targets well but I just think it's one of those units that's overkill on most things Cold One Cav could kill already and vulnerable to the same things they are (High S, Magic, warmachines).

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Uh.. There's this guy on youtube who did a really good job with the bus. It was your usual skink cloud to redirect and then Tetto'Ekko to vanguard the bus up. I can't remember if he had like 2 OBS and 2 SVs. I bet some of the other members on the forum remember his name.

Personally I find the bus a bit boring. You have one strong unit that'll remove everything in front of it. I'd much rather just use it to transport a single Oldblood or so.

7. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

The guys name was:
    JustMeDaly
    Search on youtube;)

8. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/2400-3-coldone-busses-could-it-work.16083/

Check out this thread I have been looking into this idea. Currently I am running a 3 scarvet 3 oldblood list. It does in fact eat up most of ur points but so far it has worked very well for me.

I think the trick with this list is movement therefore u would need tetto eko for the vanguards and other very fast supporting units. Also equip ur heroes so that they are as resistant as possible

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Agreed... defense is the most critical element to our combat heroes/lords, especially since it is so easy to maximize offense with a GW. Offense wins games, defense wins championships!

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  10. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Not to mention that in worst case our scar vets do come with S5/T5 and that's not exactly bad. Alternatively one can easily buy a spear and still equip a shield to maximize defence. :)