1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Good Proxies? (Skinks, Saurus, Anything)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Robin Banks, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

Heya! Some friends are getting into AoS, and I figured I'd at least dip a toe in and assemble & paint some minis with them.

What are some good Proxies (either figures or 3D Print CAD files) for some basic Seraphon infantry? Ideally something that's easy to build & paint, and that's straightforwardly swappable with the equivalent official unit. (these will just be for friendly games at someone's house, I know this stuff won't be tournament-official or anything).

Not totally new btw - I played some 40k a looong time ago, but honestly wasn't great at the painting or model stuff then either.

Thanks! (if this goes well, I'll probably set my sights on that sweet official Lord Kroak).

Just A Skink, Imrahil and Kilvakar like this.
  2. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

There are actually several companies that make essentially a full range of Seraphon proxy models! The most popular are One Page Rules and Lost Kingdom Miniatures. But Last Sword Miniatures and Raven Twin Miniatures also make good proxy lines.

Personally, my favorites are One Page Rules and Raven Twin. OPR models are based off the Total War: Warhammer Lizardmen, and they tend to look the closest to the GW aesthetic. However, they don't have every model yet but will be releasing more this year.

Raven Twin are also based on the GW look, but a lot more stylized and detailed. I believe they also have a proxy for pretty much every model in the army.

Lost Kingdom minis are probably the most detailed and stylized Lizardmen/Seraphon proxies. They lean much more heavily into the Aztec/Mayan theme, and while you can still tell which models they're substituting for they don't really look like GW models at all. But if you want extremely detailed and more Aztec-looking Seraphon, they're a good choice.

I don't know as much about Last Sword, they seem to be harder to get though.

There is also Clay Beast Creation, which has a full proxy line that leans much more heavily into the space theme. I think they look really good, but they're just not my thing. But if you wanted a Seraphon army that focused more on the spacefaring aspect of the lore, they'd work great!

3. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

Ooooh, awesome, thanks so much!

Just A Skink, Imrahil and Kilvakar like this.
  4. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

6. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

if you do lost kingdom just be aware they are a slightly larger scale. i think they are 32mm scale instead of 28mm. so a little bit of downscaling is needed for aos/fantasy

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Personally I agree with @Kilvakar that One Page Rules and Raven Twin are certainly your best bets for accurate GW model lookalikes but with greater detail. Lost Kingdom models are certainly stunning, but personally I feel they put too much dynamism into a lot of their models, such that they look a nightmare to store and transport without breaking, and as has been mentioned before, have a different aesthetic to GW so that not all their models have a corresponding unit profile usable in Warhammer. The Saurus set you've chosen is certainly a good choice, with your general and your first unit in the bag, particularly given they come with with round bases for AoS.

However my concern with 3D-Printed models is that while they're affordable if you're buying a single chariot, character or monster model, sellers don't seem to give discounts for unit sets, so the cost quickly racks up when you're buying a lot of ordinary rank-and-file models - the set you've chosen is a good example, around £40 for a character and 10 ordinary Saurus is a lot, even if the quality of the sculpt is better than the 6th Edition GW Saurus. While it's still decent as a starter set, using 3D-Printed models will be a costly way to build up your army over time, especially with AoS insisting contrary to lore that Saurus should be in large expendable horde units.

8. LeviathanL
    Jungle Swarm

LeviathanL New Member

Just A Skink and Robin Banks like this.
  9. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

That's the problem with most proxy models, they're often *much* bigger than the GW models. Of course, GW Saurus could certainly stand to be a good bit beefier, but a lot of the time we're talking Skinks the size of 'Ardboyz, lol!

Just A Skink and Robin Banks like this.
  10. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

Right on! I just jumped on their Patreon though, which gives you 50% off - puts them at about the same price as GW!

(hopefully they'll be arriving soon! Shipped last Wednesday!)

11. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

I actually got some OPR Saurus and a Slann printed recently. I'm having a harder time making the Saurus look good than I did with the GW models, mostly because there's so much more detail and he details are sharper. The scales and skin don't blend into each other as much, for example. But they look great!

12. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

Update! Minis showed up on Thursday! They rock! Painted about half of them, will post when done! Shipping took a little longer than I woulda liked (I'm in the US and it took 2 and a half weeks) so I picked up a 3d printer (Mars 3, $300 on Amazon atm!).

13. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Awesome! I've been procrastinating, but I need to finish my OPR models as well!

Robin Banks likes this.
  14. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

15. LeviathanL
    Jungle Swarm

LeviathanL New Member

I use those for the leader, banners and musician units. OPR for the rest.

16. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

Got a bunch printed! (started painting the warriors, but I don't have any snaps of them yet and I left them in my office where I do the printing lol).

Attached Files:

17. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

Getting into the groove!

Attached Files:

Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks awesome! I also like how your clamp looks like a dino head, but seriously looks fantastic so far, keep it going!

Robin Banks likes this.
  19. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

I was intimidated at first by all the fine details on the OPR minis but the new Contrast Paints make it a lot easier! Here's one where I'm trying to do the fine details first.

Attached Files:

20. Robin Banks
    Skink

Robin Banks Member

The Spawning Pools have been busy! 1k lizards, hopefully be able to finally play Saturday!

- Army Faction: Seraphon
    - Army Type: Coalesced
    - Subfaction: Koatl's Claw
    LEADERS
    Saurus Oldblood (120)
    - Celestite Warspear
    - Artefacts of Power: Blade of Realities
    Slann Starmaster (265)
    - Artefacts of Power: Itxi Grubs
    - Spells: Stellar Tempest
    BATTLELINE
    10 x Saurus Warriors (105)