1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Gotrek and the Realmshaper Engine

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Tobi131313, Apr 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

Okay, people here me out on this. I just looked at the Gotrek Warscroll and it would be absolutely amazing if it weren't for that movement characteristic of 4". Now i had a Geistesblitz and remembered that our Realmshaper Engine is a massive model, that anybody can garrison! So you basically place it in the middle of the board slightly to one deployment side, rotated in such a way the points are furthest out, and then place Gotrek as close as you can do it.

Now if you have deployed at the edge and Gotrek is within 6" he can immediatly garrison inside it in the first turn, getting a +1 to save and -1 to being hit while he is inside, and i'm pretty sure nobody would like to charge him anyway. On the other side if the enemy is on the side of the Realmshaper and garrisons somebody inside, Gotrek only has to make the charge to it, instead of across the field to get into tasty tasty combat. And if the enemy stays clear of it after you deployed, you can hop out within 6" of it, but further than 3".

So in total you can get a free movement of up to 12" +the size of the Engine itself, what is your opinion about this strategy?

Imrahil, Nart, MackiMac and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% certain on this but if you're right I'd like to try out my gotty as an ally to take with my army. I'll drop a few skinks to pay for the guy and give er a whirl

Imrahil and Tobi131313 like this.
  3. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

i checked the rules for the Realmshaper that anybody can garrison, aswell as the core rules and Gotreks warscroll. It only says he cannot be set up again or teleported by spells or abilites, i don't think the core rules fall in that regard.

I would like to know how it went for you, might be a threatening expirience for your opponent xD

Dread Saurian likes this.
  4. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

No I'm not sure if gotrek can be taken with a seraphon army. Because I don't know if he falls in the order faction

Tobi131313 likes this.
  5. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

yes he can, it says on his warscroll he can be taken as an ally to ANY order faction, and he can also exceed the limit for allies, but then you can only take him.

Imrahil and Dread Saurian like this.
  6. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

MackiMac Well-Known Member

Gotrek can not use any rules that reqiure him to be "set up". So this is sadly not allowed

Tobi131313 likes this.
  7. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

Even through it's in the core rules, about un-garrisoning a building?

Imrahil likes this.
  8. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I would say this is the case:

Gotrek.PNG

Grrr, Imrahil

Tobi131313 likes this.
  9. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

Yeah, i did know about this, but i as i understood it, the garrison doesn't work with an ability but a core rule, and that's why i thought it would still be possible

10. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

Now Im not sure anymore, I hope you find something that can prove me wrong. It would be hilariuos if he could.

Tobi131313 and Imrahil like this.
  11. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

Well, on the Warscroll of the Realmshaper it only has the ability to be garrisoned, but how that functions is regulated in the core rules. That would be my justification, and i sadly have to say i haven't found a Gotrek faq

Imrahil likes this.
  12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Well it doesn't say anything about ability on the Warscroll. It just states that it can be garrisoned.
    So if the rule for garrisoning isn't listed as Ability in the Core rules it is viable to me.
    (I'll check the book in a moment)

Grrr, Imrahil

Tobi131313 likes this.
  13. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

Oh, i automatically thought everything on the warscroll counts as an ability, my mistake. The garrison rules are under the Terrain category.

Imrahil likes this.
  14. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

I asked the guys who runs Swedish Masters. They said Gotrek is allowed to use garrisons.

Tobi131313 and Imrahil like this.
  15. Tobi131313
    Skink

Tobi131313 Member

The dream is alive! Gotrek viable in Seraphon lists xD

MackiMac and Imrahil like this.
  16. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Feels clearly unintended. He can't be "set up" after the game begins and when leaving a garrison you are "set up" within 6.

The rule vs ability distinction is pretty interesting tho.

Imrahil likes this.