1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Combat phase in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I meant within most videogames lightning is usually included within air/wind as a subclass as they generally use the greek system as their basis when they use elemental based magic systems.

Anyway, point being, lightning is basicly never shown as it's own seperate element when there is an elemental based magic system. It is occasionally shown as a damage-type or property-type for a type of creature (e.g. pokemon or D&D) but in those cases the underlying (magic-)system used is usually no longer elemental based. It's simply a type-based system with the types being whatever the designers felt like.

As an aside; how does lightning fit in with wood of all things?

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

We are talking about AoS faction predictions, yes, but I was talking about the idea of linking some specific AoS factions with real-world historical base elements only, with no consideration of fictional addendums (partly because I didn’t know stuff like D&D had gone into so much detail with its fiction :D).

Of course we now know electricity is a natural element of our world, but the ancients rarely did, and more often viewed lightning as a divine substance that resulted from godly manipulation of the air, which is why lightning was not generally viewed as a base element by them.

All of this is a moot point anyway, given GW have released Stormcast’s third wave very recently and they know from past experience that introducing another Stormcast wave so soon after will annoy a lot of people, so it’s extremely unlikely that they’ll be in this coming Battlebox.

I can sense that this argument is starting to get a little too much of a storm in a teacup, so I am going to stop here and wish you well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Erta Wanderer and Canas like this.
  3. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

We are BOYCOTTING the chinese !!

4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

sands of salazar
    dark souls 1,2,3
    infamous 1 and 2
    torchlight 2
    Magicka 1,2, and 3
    Lichdom: Battlemage
    dudgeon defenders 1 and 2.
    deablo 1
    skyrim
    path of exile
    world of magic
    and many many more.
    these are all games with a dedicated lightning branch to their magic. and that ignores lightning being the dominint "half" of most wind branches it's in such as in guild wars WFB and divinity original sin
    no idea Daoism is weird

5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

6. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I don't know those factions very well, are the only new models the two heroes?

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

That's magic schools, not fundamental elements.

I'm not saying lightning isn't a part of the magic systems in games and can't form it's own complicated (sub)school of magic, I'm trying to say it is generally not viewed as an independent fundamental element within the universe of that game.

E.g. in D&D the fundamental elements have their own dedicated planes; fire, water earth & air. And these elements and their planes are a fundamental part of the universe & it's cosmology as well as it's balance. If one of the planes is destroyed the entire universe would be in danger

There is however no plane of lightning, however where the planes get close to eachother you can see weird sub-elementals (e.g. magma elementals hanging around at the border of fire & earth)

You do however have a lightning magic school, and lightning elementals, which are a subclass of air elementals.
    In much the same way you also have ice elementals as a subclass of water elementals, and an ice magic school, or aforementioned magma elementals as a subclass of earth & fire.. As well as some other subelementals.

So if you use the greek version as the basis (which is what most of these do) you nearly always get the following:
    earth, water, air, fire = fundamental elements
    Lightning, ice, magma, steam etc, = sub-elements, derived from the fundamental elements.

Now this example uses D&D, but I can't really think of anything where lightning is presented as an actual fundamental element. It's usually merely a magic school, or something much more minor than that.

Also, magicka 3? I thought there were only 2.

Also, we may be derailing this thread a bit much :p

Meh, not a very exciting box, especially since the only new stuff is the two heroes. And neither faction is exactly lacking in that department.

At least the fyreslayer seems to be wearing a bit more armour again, might actually allow him to stand out to some degree from the sea of naked redheads with giant axes.

8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

yep just the heroes.

9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

a distinction without a difference. espeshaly when it's paired with the fire earth and water "schools" of magic

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The distinction is quite important.
    Fundamental elements = part of the fabric of the functional universe. A primal force, or fundamental building block, without which the universe cannonically wouldn't exist.
    School of magic = a form of magic some creatures in that universe developed at some point.

Fire in D&D would be both a school of magic & a fundamental element.
    Necromancy is a school of magic.
    And lightning is a school of magic as well.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

electricity is a far more integral "part of the fabric of the functional universe." being just as common as fire is and a much more integral part of how life works. life couldn't exist without it, even leaving aside electrons it's how neurons and the nervous system works.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In reality, yes.

In a fictional universe that came into existence because the 4 elemental planes crashed into eachother which somehow resulted in the plane humans and elves now live in, or some similar nonsense, no it would not be.

Kilvakar likes this.
  13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

A preview of some of the models coming out this New Year:

A fair amount for Craftworld Eldar and Chaos Space Marines which is to be expected, nothing I can see more for Fyreslayers and Idoneth which really annoys me because they are both far more in need of new models, what looks to be another model for Daughters of Khaine to my disgust (they already got an OP Battletome and a new model very recently, they shouldn't be getting anything else for a long while yet), some Ossiarch and, easily best of the bunch, what clearly looks like the Parasite of Mortrex at 0:21 (called it @Acehilator!), meaning Tyranids should be the next Codex after Craftworld Eldar and Chaos Marines.

14. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Yep, definitely a lot of Eldar and Chaos Space Marines, at least one Ossiarch and Tyranid and maybe a Nighthaunt model.

The Dark Elf is hard to place. Could be DoK, Dark Eldar, or yet another Underworlds model.

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I take full blame for propagating the Ossiarch theory, but subsequent observation of discussions of this video over on TGA have left me wondering if the model at 0:15 is Maugan Ra, the Dark Reaper Phoenix Lord for Craftworld Eldar, rather than Ossiarch, particularly with those knobs in his back looking like Spirit Stones.

However, I do still think the model at 0:06 looks like Ossiarch - Lanterns are more commonly found on Nighthaunt, but this particular model clearly has a bony leg behind the lantern which looks more like Ossiarch.

Kilvakar and Just A Skink like this.
  16. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I think you're spot on with the estimation that it's Maugan Ra and not Ossiarch. Since the cut scenes seem to be showing various angles of the same model, and there are Eldar symbols there.

However, I'm pretty certain that the lantern image at 0:06 is Nighthaunt. That doesn't look like a bony leg behind the lantern but the figure's arm, which looks "solid" for Nighthaunt. Further behind it looks like candles which is a hallmark of Nighthaunt too. It might even be part of the model with the book teased later in the video.

I think that @Kilvakar is right that it's too tough to tell for what faction that "elf whip girl" might be.

I'm guessing a chaos titan at the beginning of the video? And I think I caught some Necron tentacles before the Maugan Ra images. That has to be Khaine, the Bloody-Handed God, at the end of the video.

Kilvakar likes this.
  17. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I was not aware of Maugan Ra's existence, lol! But you're right, it definitely could be him. If you look at the candle/book image closely, you can see a spindly hand and a bit of that blue-green Nighthaunt color, so it definitely looks like a Nighthaunt.

End of video definitely looks like Khaine.

Just A Skink likes this.
  18. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

Chaos Knight (the whip is not Necron, it belongs to the Knight too, armament fits another leak - Volkite weapon at 00:04 + power whip)
    Maugan Ra
    something Tyranid (Parasite, or a new unit, leaning towards the former)
    Lantern is probably NH, really spindly arm with no armor holding it, would be very unusual for OR
    the guy with the staff is probably for Necromunda, style fits GSC too, but I really don't think they would get yet another character model
    DoK/DE/Underworlds lady, no idea which

Pretty sure 00:30 - 00:32 is another model, that flame is not part of the Avatar. Almost looks like the profile of a burning head, with a big pauldron in front.

19. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Even more Aeldari! and still more to come.

Fb0zwpy9cC1c8CEe.jpg

Grrr, Imrahil

20. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

Eldar are getting a line refresh this year. I hope there will be no glaring holes in the lineup when all is said and done.

Poor guys deserve it, the oldest model range in 40k and probably in all of GW.