1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Has anyone had success with a hunter?

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by Cptn Timmy, May 12, 2021.

1. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

Hey everyone,
    I just put together a hunter model and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a hunter where he at least didn't suck lol. I dont know if the shooting is ever gonna work out so maybe I will just gear him to be in combat, maybe get a throwing spear through an eagle or frostchicken at some point. Am I correct in assuming that because he doesn't have skirmisher he can't fire while marching?
    Also he can't move and fire if he has the harpoon launcher so is that just way too expensive for a slightly maneuverable bolt thrower?
    Thanks!

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Not sure.

I'm looking at trying him with a unit of Sabretusks as an anti chaff unit, but haven't tried this yet.

For the record, Harpoon launcher doesn't penetrate ranks. It's just the one S6 hit...

Cptn Timmy likes this.
  3. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

Wow, that makes it even worse, I guess for 10 pts it could be worth a shot or two if the chance comes up. The d3 wounds and increased range is a little more dangerous than the hunting spear. I think you definitely add at least one sabretusk right? 21 pts for swiftstride and vanguard is pretty good value. I can't recall at the moment, if you vanguard does it count as moving for shooting?

Edit: Reading the vanguard rule showed no mention of it counting as a move

4. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

Although thinking on it a little more. Having one sabretusk will take half of a volley on to him instead of the hunter, but if he dies (which is likely) you run the risk of the hunter panicking off the board right?

5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

You're correct, Vanguard and Skirmishers are two separate rules. If the Hunter moves, he also get's the -1 to hit.

So, first off the minimum unit size for a sabretusk is (I believe) five. So you'd have to minimally have 5 of them.

If the unit took 25% casualties in one turn from shooting then, yes, you'd need to do a break test. Obviously using the Hunter's leadership. Still dangerous though, it's one of the weak points of the OKs army :(

Cptn Timmy likes this.
  6. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

Right, what I meant is on turn one after using the vanguard, if I take a shot without moving in the movement phase, do I still get a -1 from the vanguard move?

Definitely risky, although as long as you don't role over a 9 it offers some decent protection ;)
    I do believe that the minimum unit for savretusks is 1+. That is what makes them such good chaff units.

Edit, checked my book. Unit size is 1-10. I've never understood why some units have a maximum amount while most dont.

7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

No. You wouldn't have moved in THAT MOVEMENT PHASE so you wouldn't get a minus.

You're right (I just checked my book as well).

I think in this case they don't want you creating a Sabretusk Horde (which would be pretty dangerous to be honest in the hands of a very "gamey" player).

Cptn Timmy likes this.
  8. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

For the sake of conversation, is anyone scared of a horde of sabretusk? I don't see the value in it. Definitely lots of attacks and the 2 wounds is decent but no save, no bsb, and 21 pts a model I don't know if it could beat points for points in say saurus or chaos warriors not to mention special choices.

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

:)

I've obviously never tried it (as I have trouble finding the models at all right now), but my hypothesis would be that they would be effective against an O&G army it could be efficient or in any match-up where they would have the initiative advantage.