1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, 5th edition collector here.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pikapoka, Nov 18, 2022.

1. pikapoka
    Skink

pikapoka Member

Hi everybody.

When I was a kid, I collected lizardmen. I never played warhammer but I just liked the models and only had a few examples of this and that. 25 years on I now finally have a use for them with a game called Dragon Rampant.

So I have been to wargaming shows, ebay and friends, getting all the old 5th edition minis that I can.. or at least enough for an army. I am feeling a little guilty with all these original blisters.. collector pieces im sure but I need to get at the juicy innards and build those models!

I am lucky that the paintjob on my originals wasn't applied with too thick a coat of paint and I am having some success with painting over. I am not so keen on the slanted slotta bases, so will convert everybody so that they are facing forward...

Anyways, happy to be here to look at how everybody is painting their old minis!

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      491.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      232.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      136.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome along!

Great to see those old blisters. Someone was able to restrain himself from opening those in quite a while ;)

Have fun diving back in to the hobby. I am not familiar with Dragon Rampant is that a rank and flank game as well?

Feel free to look around and ask any questions you have.

Grrr, !mrahil

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  3. pikapoka
    Skink

pikapoka Member

Mmmm, kind of... so dragon rampant is a very flexible game. Normally your troops are in loose formation but you can choose to have them rank and file too. All that matters is the number of models you have as they die off etc..
    Worth checking out as all you need is £10 rulebook.

Tk'ya'pyk and Imrahil like this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Hey, one of those blisters was for the italian market! :woot:

Welcome to Lustria, here's the entire painting and modeling subforum, hope it helps.
    For any doubt or question just ask.

Tk'ya'pyk and Imrahil like this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Welcome to Lustria indeed, nice to see another fan of the 5th Edition Lizardman range arrive, @DarkStarSabre will be most pleased!

Shame you're not using those models for Warhammer Fantasy specifically, but still, it pleases me to see unwanted miniatures being given new homes to be loved again. You should feel no shame at opening NIB blister packs, it's about time the models inside were played with for once rather than being stuck on a collector's shelf!

I trust you shall enjoy your stay! :)

6. pikapoka
    Skink

pikapoka Member

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. I never really played Warhammer, as a kid I just liked to collect the models in a very haphazard way. For example I have a single skink on a cold one.. no idea why I just had one!. At my club they don't play it either and I think I would struggle to find players who for the most part tend to play AOS (which I don't like the look of at all).

I suppose an alternative would be kings of war, but I think I will just use my lizardmen for whatever game system is being played at my club. (Dragon Rampant)

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

That is certainly fair, though why follow a trend when you can start one? ;)

Try suggesting that the club gets into Warhammer Fantasy (in particular to the Dragon Rampant players as they're obviously more into the rank-and-flank side of fantasy gaming than the AoS folk) and see how many people get on board with it.

Imrahil likes this.
  8. pikapoka
    Skink

pikapoka Member

Hum... well I have gone through that process with dropzone commander, test of honour, battlefleet gothic and a few other passion games, which I love but nobody at the club plays. Have to say it can be really quite difficult pushing through these games at a club when nobody plays it.. that and always needing to supply multiple armies for those who don't buy into it but still play every now and then.

I never played the original warhammer so don't really feel the draw, I just like the models and am not tooooo fussed on what game system I use them with.

Do you guys like warhammer fantasy? What edition is seen to be the best/

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I certainly do!

Generally the best Editions to play nowadays are 6th, 7th if the 6th Edition army books are used (or if measures are agreed to tone down the 7th Edition books for Daemons, Dark Elves and Vampires, because those specific books broke the game - if nobody plays these armies, or at least doesn't try to play them in a gamey way, 7th's fine) and 8th. There are fanatics here who specifically advocate 8th above all others, but I would advise you look at all three and choose the one you like best, because the 6th and 7th Editions are nothing to be sniffed at either. These three editions marked the Golden Age of Warhammer Fantasy, and whether the upcoming Warhammer: The Old World game will return to this Golden Age remains unclear.

Imrahil likes this.
  10. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

Welcome!!!

I can't wait to see more of your progress!!!

11. pikapoka
    Skink

pikapoka Member

12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Welcome to Jurassic Park! Great to have more Oldhammer players around!

LoR

Imrahil likes this.