1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, new to tabletop painting!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Swerto, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Swerto
    Jungle Swarm

Swerto New Member

Starting off with two start collecting seraphon boxes, and got a few more boxes on the way. I'm focussing on building right now and intend to do a paint next year.

Been a fan of Lizardmen for years, Total War: Warhammer 2 finally got me to scratch the tabletop itch and pick up some Seraphon.

As of yet I've built the entirety of two start collecting boxes and picked up an extra carno. So I have Kroq-Gar, a scar vet on carno, and troglodon. Both my cav units are using spears, and both my knights are using clubs/swords.

I've got a few goals for my army in mind. I'd like to pick up a Dread Saurian come tax season, and likely convert it to the total war shredder of Lustria, and would like any advice on how to put the platforms on a resin model (I was thinking Steggadon platforms, but they might not be the right size - and I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the platform bits on its own). I also would like to build a coatl at some point and run it as a slann. I'm also looking into custom Krox models that are closer to the game.

Far as painting goes I'm a total beginner, I've read some guides online but will likely be buying some cheap models to practice with before touching my seraphon. I would like them to be all painted with the standard blue scales and gold/red armor with exception to my big dinos which will be all over in colors.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

3. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

4. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

5. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard, get a blog started and we will help you on your way.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

8. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

You want to start painting sooner rather then later. Also it doesn't really work that you can practise on different types of minitures then move back to Seraphon. Each army have their own techniques and ways of painting them, that make them look good.

My advice is, start off by painting some of your Saurus warriors. Get some spray can grey paint, and carefully undercoat them, taking care not to apply to much and ruin them.

Once this stage is done, get about 5 paints. Blue, gold, a blue wash, and a brown for the shield.

Unless you are a fine art student, or have a background in something like that, your original attempts are not going to look like the box art.

First of all practise applying simple base coats of a few colours to the model. Apply the paint thinned down with water. It will take you time to get use to handling the brush and applying the paint accuratly. Also you will learn new techniques over time.

The hardest part by far, is developing good taste for colours. I have been painting my first start collecting box for about 3 months now. I just started again. I found a colour scheme I really liked so decided I wanted to pain them all that way.

Your first models in your first army are never going to be painted the way you want them to be. But that's ok. Its good to mark your progress of how you are getting better.

But if you try to go from nothing to speed painting all your new models at once, it probably is not going to go well. What you could do, if you want them just painted enough to play with. Is invest in an airbrush, and spay your army all one colour. Then paint the weapons and big details a base colour.

When you advance, you can come back to them, and apply washes and highlighting.

I am painting my Saurus this way. I did them a spray, a wash and some spray highlights. Then I painted the belly and washed it, and then I painted in some details and washed them as well. I still have to do the faces tho. Took me about 2 days of hobby time to do these 5 so far.

IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria!

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

Let us know if you have any specfic questions about gameplay, painting, fluff, or anything else.

11. Swerto
    Jungle Swarm

Swerto New Member

Just expanded my army from 2 start collecting boxes by buying a $200 lizardmen unpainted lot on facebook to bring the total to the followig:

2 Carnosaur with oldblood

1 Carnosaur with scar veteran

2 Troglodons with Skink handler

1 Skink Starpriest

1 Skink Priest with Feathered Cloak

1 Saurus Eternity Warden

1 Saurus Sunblood

1 Saurus Scar Veteran (Foot)

1 Salamander with Skink Handlers

3 Kroxigors

3 Ripperdactyl Riders with Bloat Toad

24 Saurus Knights

56 Saurus Warriors

24 Skinks

Have 12 more warriors to build and 8 more knights

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Nice army you have there!

Good luck with putting together and painting ;)

Gr, Imrahil