1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ianavor, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Ianavor
    Jungle Swarm

Ianavor New Member

I would like to apologize for any disturbance I have caused, which I was not involved in... a very odd turn of events.

Either way, I'm here because I wanna learn at least a bit about the game, but I would rather not read the like 180 page rule book cover to cover, I'd rather start shallower before getting thrown in the deep end.

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

welcome aboard!

don't worry, we're here to help. ;)

3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Welcome to Jurassic Park!

Probably a good idea to just interact in a friendly fashion with everyone on the forum and you'll do fine.

Have a good look around and don't hesistate to ask questions! :)

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome along!

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I have read your post on the Star Wars thread, and am pleased to be able to be one of the first to say "A Warm Welcome to Lustria"!

I must apologise also for the courtroom-style accusation, I was just checking to see that you weren't another troll and that you were here with genuine desire to get into Warhammer. I imagine that troublemaker chose to include you in it simply because you were next newest member of the forum when he joined, and used that to deflect the blame from himself, in his cowardice.

Now, however, he is gone, and shouldn't be bothering us again.

I assume you mean Warhammer Fantasy Battle in that case? Because the AoS rulebook, while steadily increasing in size and complexity (for largely the wrong reasons I personally think) hasn't yet reached 180 pages.

It's particularly heart-warming for me to see new people want to get into Warhammer Fantasy, as a Fantasy player myself, and now is the perfect time to start learning some of the older editions of the game before it is reborn with The Old World (TOW).

Personally I would advise getting started in 6th Edition or 7th Edition, as these rules and army books are much cheaper, the battles it advocates are smaller-scale and there was a lot less less bloat in army lists in those days. Also it's commonly agreed that 6th was the most balanced Edition, mainly because every playable faction had a decent 6th book or rules in the Ravening Hordes 'Get you by' book, which was essentially a General's Handbook released at the beginning of 6th to get everyone started with basic beginner army lists. 7th Edition was essentially a revision of 6th that streamlined play a bit more, but some of the army books released were often believed to be too strong (Daemons of Chaos, Dark Elves and Vampire Counts were the main offenders). However, it's certainly possible to play a good game of 7th with the more balanced 6th Edition and early 7th Edition books.

Then, when you've had your first few small-scale battles and enjoyed them, 8th Edition offers a larger-scale gaming experience with more powerful magic and the opportunity to build larger units if you wish (I personally never have, I think Hordes are ugly, clunky points-sinks, and outright OP when used by armies with elite troops :wtf:), along with that luxury of 2010s-onwards Warhammer, FULL COLOUR BOOKS ;)

I look forward to seeing how you progress in your Warhammer journey! :)

Noxolotl, Killer Angel and Bowser like this.
  6. Ianavor
    Jungle Swarm

Ianavor New Member

Thanks Lord A... I have some people that I'll be able to play with in person so I'll see what edition they're playing before diving in.

7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

[In a loud whisper]

If there's any question, use the 8th Edition Luke...

LoR

NIGHTBRINGER, Imrahil and Bowser like this.