1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Help with completing army list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Andrew Smith, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Andrew Smith Active Member

WARNING: noob questions ahead

So I'm hoping the folks at Lustria Online will be able to help me complete my army roster. Up to now, I've mostly just been building and painting without a vision for a coherent army list. I figure I should probably start thinking of how to complete my army.

Here are the models I have built and those that are still in their sprues:

BUILT:
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (230)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    10 x Saurus Warriors (90) - Spears
    10 x Skinks (60) - Boltspitters and Bucklers
    10 x Saurus Knights (200) - Lances
    3 x Kroxigor (140)

Total points of built models: 840

NOT BUILT:
    20 x Saurus Warriors (180) - Spears OR Clubs
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (80) OR 3 x Terradon Riders (90)
    Bastiladon (220) - Solar Engine OR Arc of Sotek

Total points of purchased models: 1,320 or 1,330

So my questions are as follows:
    1. Assuming I go with spears for my remaining Saurus Warriors, am I better off making one big unit of 30 models, or should I build extra Alphas and make 3 units of 10 models each?
    2. Should I build Ripperdactyl Riders or Terradon Riders? If the latter, should I go with javelins or bolas?
    3. Should the Bastiladon have a Solar Engine or an Arc of Sotek? The Solar Engine is the better option, right..?
    4. Most importantly, what would you suggest I purchase next in order to round out my army?

I'm hoping to have options for 1,000, 1,500 and 2,000 point armies. If it matters, I'm eventually playing against a fellow AOS newbie who will have a Death army, either Nighthaunt or Legions of Nagash. I'm not looking to be super competitive or anything, I just want an army that makes strategic sense.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

LizardWizard and Tav like this.
  2. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

Warriors with spears are better in a big unit, 40 is ideal then you get a nice points discount.

Ripperdactyls dont really add much, there are better options for their points, terradons however are really fast and their mortal wound bombs can really break something apart. You wont really expect much damage from their ranged attacks so you might as well just go for bolas so that you can get stuck in, shoot, charge and drop bombs.

Solar engine all the way, the bastiladon is too slow to really make use of the ark and even if it did the ark is terrible.

you have a good core for a coalesced: koatls claw army with the carnosaur, knights and warriors. Best thing would be to get a slann (or kroak because best) and a small unit of guards.
    Together the slann generates CP and provides magical support, then you can spend CP from the oldblood and buff the knights and warriors and getting on average half of the CP back from the koatls claw command trait

3. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Awesome, thanks so much! If I add 10 Saurus Warriors, 15 Saurus Guards and Lord Kroak, that’ll give me exactly 2,000 points. Switching up Kroak for a Slann and adding 10 Skinks also works. I think the Slann and Skinks would give me a bit more flexibility for building smaller armies.

For a 1,500 point army, I was thinking of dropping the Skink Starpriest, Kroxigors, Terradons, 5 Guards or 5 Knights, and 10 Skinks. Sounds good?

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

The starpriest is something you really want in every list.
    For 1500 i guess dropping the kroxigors, terradons and guards, you dont really need more than 5 unless you plan to use them as a combat block

LizardWizard and Andrew Smith like this.
  5. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Noted, thanks again. :)

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

@Tav gave you great advice on how to kit your builds.

If you go the Kroak route then I would also recommend getting a Balewind Vortex, Saurus, Astrolith Bearer, and some Bound Geminids of Ulghysh. That main core of units and spells will work in all Seraphon builds.

Tav and Andrew Smith like this.
  7. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Good to know, thanks! I haven’t committed yet to either Kroak or the regular Slann, so it’s nice to have some options.

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. Andrew Smith
    Saurus

Actually, I just noticed that Balewind Vortex has been discontinued, and the Geminids would require me buying the entire Malign Sorcery box. Maybe I haven’t quite reached the point of spending a lot of money to use advanced magic. We’ll see what happens once I have a few games of AoS under my belt.

LizardWizard likes this.