1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HeroScape is returning!

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Anyone else excited that HeroScape is to be reborn?

https://www.polygon.com/23296639/he...lation-terrain-release-date-price-gencon-2022

I fell in love with HeroScape at school when the older brother of one of my classmates brought in the Swarm of the Marro Master Set to one of our Wednesday afternoon Board Game sessions, and was captivated by the modular hexagonal landscape tiles, the simple HeroQuest-style gameplay and the sheer variety of different characters and units usable. Sadly by then HeroScape had ceased production so I was never able to get into it myself, but that fascination with it was rekindled first at University when, in a couple of the few sessions of the Games Society I was able to attend, I managed to grab the two copies of the Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set and one of the expansion sets they had in the games cupboard and combined them to make a far bigger board and larger army sizes, and roped in some other students for a couple of fun mash-up games.

Secondly, the announcement above, that Avalon Hill is planning to resurrect the game, has captured my attention. The plan so far is to release the above Age of Annihilation Master Set first of all. It looks good so far, with some nice new fantasy sculpts and tiles very much like those of the original sets, plus the fact that these models will be unpainted, which means no more average-quality hi-speed factory paint jobs, and great for us wargamers who like to paint our models anyway because we can make sure to do a grand job on them.

Who else has fond memories of this great game?

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Never played it, but it seems incredibly cool

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

With the new Master Set coming and hopefully revitalising the game, it will be an opportunity for those who missed out to give it a try.

There's also a big homebrew scene for it, with many people having made custom cards for all manner of miniatures to create all manner of mad crossovers. You could easily create cards that would allow you to field your King Belegar Ironhammer model against Boss Zagstruk, for example, or get The Swarmlord to fight Archaon. The possibilities are endless!

Just A Skink likes this.